Chit Chat

Overheard at the nail salon

A friend of mine moved away recently and was back in the city for a visit. She's my mani pedi partner, so we went to our favorite nail salon for some MUCH overdue pampering. We got to the salon pretty soon after it opened, and were surprised to find almost every chair filled. While waiting around, we overheard a lot of bits and pieces of conversation, and pieced together a very interesting story:

The salon was busy because there was a very big group of bridesmaids (I wasn't sure, but at least 8) getting their nails done for a wedding tonight. The bridesmaids dresses were brown, the bride asked for them to have "spring colored" nails, and they were told to wear cowgirl boots. The bride and groom (in their early 30s) had known each other for nine months, and didn't live together and hadn't slept together. The wedding was at a winery in the city, and the bride had given people the wrong address. And, to top it all off, the bride told some of the bridesmaids that there wouldn't be a meal served so they should eat beforehand. The wedding is at 7pm.

I almost chimed in to get more info, but I'm not sure I wanted to know more!
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: Overheard at the nail salon

• manillabarmanillabar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    phira said:
    A friend of mine moved away recently and was back in the city for a visit. She's my mani pedi partner, so we went to our favorite nail salon for some MUCH overdue pampering. We got to the salon pretty soon after it opened, and were surprised to find almost every chair filled. While waiting around, we overheard a lot of bits and pieces of conversation, and pieced together a very interesting story:

The salon was busy because there was a very big group of bridesmaids (I wasn't sure, but at least 8) getting their nails done for a wedding tonight. The bridesmaids dresses were brown, the bride asked for them to have "spring colored" nails, and they were told to wear cowgirl boots. The bride and groom (in their early 30s) had known each other for nine months, and didn't live together and hadn't slept together. The wedding was at a winery in the city, and the bride had given people the wrong address. And, to top it all off, the bride told some of the bridesmaids that there wouldn't be a meal served so they should eat beforehand. The wedding is at 7pm.

I almost chimed in to get more info, but I'm not sure I wanted to know more!
    yuck!

ETF gif
  • Were BM complaining? Just curious

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Why wasn't the bride there? If I can swing the cost I'm really looking forward to going to a salon to get prettied up with my BMs. 

The rest, yeah, gross. 
  • Were BM complaining? Just curious

*Stuck in the box*

Bit of a tangent.. but it makes me think of a story that a friend who does professional makeup was telling me.  While the bride was in another room getting her hair done- ALL of the BMs were talking tons of shit about her (while they were getting their makeup done).  Classy.

I do have to confess that I was totally guilty of saying something about wanting to strangle one of my friends the day of her wedding- but I just said this to FI (not the other BMs) because I was exhausted and stressed out from trying to make her makeup *perfect* (I stepped in after a disastrous trial makeup run with her original MUA, wasn't getting paid, did makeup for another 3 BP members, and she kept ignoring the advice that I was giving her, which meant that I kept having to go back to fix things- it was miserable).  Love her dearly, but GOOD GRIEF was she being difficult!  Not my proudest moment, but I think saying to your SO that you are frustrated with how a friend is behaving is totally different than talking about how many dudes they hooked up with prior to their FI, or other general gossipy things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    FiancB said:
    Why wasn't the bride there? If I can swing the cost I'm really looking forward to going to a salon to get prettied up with my BMs. 

The rest, yeah, gross. 
    From what we could pick up, the bridal party had decided to go together. The wedding had been planned in about 3 months, so probably not the most well planned wedding. I mean, I know weddings can be planned very quickly, but I'd expect something a little more low-key (and with fewer people in the wedding party).
    Anniversary

I am so glad I'm not in that wedding.

Anniversary
  • Oh yuck.
  • I would like to just raise my glass in joy that I will not be at that wedding...those poor, poor guests...
    Anniversary
  • @phira where do you get your nails done? I know there are a lot of nail salons in Boston, but I wonder if it's the same one I go to.

• phiraphira member
    @huskypuppy14 NailBar on Beacon Street in Brookline. I used to go to one on Harvard Street near Coolidge Corner, which was pretty cheap. But my nails would always chip pretty quickly, and pedis were more painful than relaxing. NailBar's great, although it's not dirt cheap.
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    @huskypuppy14 NailBar on Beacon Street in Brookline. I used to go to one on Harvard Street near Coolidge Corner, which was pretty cheap. But my nails would always chip pretty quickly, and pedis were more painful than relaxing. NailBar's great, although it's not dirt cheap.
    Ooh painful pedicures are not good. I go to a nail salon in Oak square. It's right by my house, and I'm going to miss it when I move. I'll probably still drive out of my way to go there.

• lc07lc07 member
    edited June 2014
    If I loved you, I'd wear a brown dress. And cowboy boots. And paint my nails spring colors. But FFS - FEED ME. Or we can't be friends.

Edited: for clarity
  • It just seems like a waste of money to me to host a reception, but do it so that it's that unenjoyable- I mean jeez, the whole point is to thank the guests or at LEAST throw a somewhat enjoyable shindig.  So if everyone is going to be irritated and starving anyways, why even bother?  
  • phiraphira member
    phira said:
    Ooh painful pedicures are not good. I go to a nail salon in Oak square. It's right by my house, and I'm going to miss it when I move. I'll probably still drive out of my way to go there.
    I'm not too far from Oak Square! We definitely need a Boston TK G2G.
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    phira said:
    I will haul my big ass down there for that if I'm invited.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• phiraphira member
    beethery said:
    phira said:
    phira said:
    Heeeeeeeells yeeeeeah
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    beethery said:
    phira said:
    phira said:
    Heeeeeeeells yeeeeeah
    My mom lives right outside of Boston and I visit her all the time!  If it's a weekend I'm around, I'm down for this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• But....but....I'm sure all her friends and family are fine with it!  You must have misheard, Phira. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards