Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How did you decide what month?

I'm not sure what board this would fit on, so please move if needed :)

How did you decide what month to have your wedding?

I'm newly engaged and my fiance and I have been tossing around ideas. we both first said Winter. but we live in the northern mid-west and my entire family would be traveling from 2+ hours away. so I fear bad weather hindering them.  Summer gets so busy so it's hard to plan around all our other engagements.

So I'm curious how others landed on the month/day that they did.
-Ro

Re: How did you decide what month?

• Options
    We liked the idea of a fall wedding outdoors and the weather tends to be better here in September than October.  November is just too cold.  Our date narrowed down in less than a minute.  The first Saturday was out because it was Labor Day Weekend.  The second was 9/11.  The fourth was the day after brother and SIL's anniversary leaving only the third Saturday of the month.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    We chose the anniversary of our first date, after some initial ruling out.
  • Options
    We couldn't have it during college football season, because there were too many teams to work around (I live in the South, don't judge...lol).  Winter was out because my dad is a college basketball ref.  Summer was out because there are too many birthdays.  I originally wanted it on St. Patrick's Day, but we figured it would have been too cold for an outdoor ceremony, so April it was.
  • Options
    September seems to have very nice, usually predicable, weather where I live.  People are generally finished with summer vacations and long weekends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • Options
    We live in Cleveland & weather can be unpredictable. First we looked at dates based on the availbiility of the reception hall had for the deal we were offered. Spring was available & so was June. I said Spring didn't give us enough time to save money. I veto'd June - Aug because I wasn't about to get married possibly on a 90 degrees day & torture everyone to the heat, especially myself if a full wedding dress & the guys in tuxes. So that left this fall, there were only two dates available and one of them was during our local Parks Haunted Hayrides which we both volunteer at (we met volunteering for the parks) so that left us with pretty much one option. Nov. 3. I'ved loved having 11 months to plan, I'm getting things done in a timely manner which is helping to reduce the stress and enjoy the engagment and wedding planning more.
  • Options

We didn't want to have to rush to plan anything so we decided that we wanted a 9month minimum engagement and we didn't want to be engaged for a really long time so we gave ourselves a year window. We knew we wanted a Saturday wedding because of the amount of people traveling. From there, we elminated any holiday weekend (both Christian and Jewish), our college reunion weekends, our busy seasons at work, and since so many of our friends are in grad school we avoided midterm/final periods. We didn't want to worry about weather issues either snow or high heat. 

That left maybe 6-8 dates in the early fall and spring of 2013. One of them happened to be the weekend of our 6th anniversary so we went with that.     

Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    While we had been engaged, we weren't able to start planning until late January of this year because FI is in the military and we were dealing with him getting re-classed and a move. We first had to narrow down where we wanted to have it (we moved to San Antonio, I'm from MS and my mom is from a much smaller town in MS). Once we decided it would be in MS, we picked my hometown because it has an airport and has more options and I really wanted to get married in the church I grew up in.

We at first wanted to get married as quickly as we could, but he was gone from pretty much when we moved until mid-May, and that put us in the middle of wedding season, meaning costs were higher and not much was available, plus, it's so hot and humid. So, we decided to shoot for fall. We originally wanted a weekend towards the end of October, but the church was all booked up so we're on November 3. It's actually kind of nice because our dating anniversary is the 1st. 

• Options
    I always thought we would have a fall wedding in Sept/Oct but we got engaged in the fall (Nov) and were not financially ready to have the wedding we wanted the following Sept/Oct. We also did not want to wait almost 2 full years so we decided to wait a year and half and get married in June.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We've always both loved the fall. We had our first date October 4th, 2008. So it just seemed fitting to have our wedding in October as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It was simple- I wanted a St. Patty's Day wedding. So March it was.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We originally wanted a Winter wedding, but the logistics of that just wasn't working out (would people be able to drive in the snow, willing to travel, not to mention that everything I could find for a venue in Winter was waaaay out of budget). Then we decided to go for our dating anniversary (May 25), which failed because that falls on a Saturday next year (breaking the budget). Then we were going to do it May 24, but that's memorial day weekend, close to the end of the school year, and a fair number of our guests are teachers, including his mom.

Going too far into June it would get too hot (my grandpa is diabetic and cannot handle heat, and he's our officiant), and the first Friday was still during the school year. So that left June 7th, which to be honest I wasn't crazy about at first (I'm not a fan of June for some reason). But I decided, "Screw it. It doesn't matter and I want to marry this man already!"

And thus, June 7th.

• Options
    I originally really wanted a fall wedding, we got engaged late last summer, didnt even start to plan anything until late Fall 2011, mostly everything was booked for Fall 2012 around us, neither of us wanted a winter wedding, I have horrid allergies and am always sick in the spring and the weather around here is really unpredictable. So we moved into May 2013- every off work Saturday was a close family members birthday. (re: FIs 30th birthday one day and his moms birthday a diff day) So then we settled on June.

If you really wanted a winter wedding, I would do maybe the first weekend in December, it will be cold and you can do a winter theme, I am from Michigan and we usually dont have crazy snow storms that early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We went with a winter wedding, because we fell in love during the winter. It just fits us. My biggest recommedation though is the Sunday before a Monday holiday. We are getting married on the Sunday before MLK Day, and it is great. It's a Sunday, so we get the Sunday rate from the applicable vendors, but everyone has Monday off from work, so we are treating it like a Saturday. And the Saturday before gives everyone more travel time, if they need it. So far it's a win-win-win! 
    White Knot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 invitedimage
    118 accept with pleasureimage
    35 decline with regretsimage
    4 are driving me crazyimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    We picked April 2012.   I'm in the military and just retrained to fly a different aircraft. We knew that by April I would be done with my training, but that my squadron wasn't likely to deploy until 2013.  It worked for  our VIPs, so that's what we went with.    Obviously we got military clauses put in our contracts in case of an unforseen deployment, but fortunately we didn't need to use them:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I very much wanted Spring - my husband was on board with that.

I really wanted April for the beautiful flowers and real spring weather.  However, we both wanted to have dinner on the beach following our wedding ceremony (destination wedding in Bermuda).  The hotel we chose only offered beach dinners starting in May so we got pushed to May.

The actual date was chosen around cruise schedules (so that guests could choose to fly or cruise to Bermuda) and needed to be a Thursday.  It came down to the 5th or the 19th.  We picked the 5th because it was a nicer number (seriously).

It wasn't until a few days later that I was sitting there going "May 5th sounds like something, doesn it?  Is it someone's birthday or anniversary...?"  My husband (fiance at the time) looked at me and said "Yes... it does.  Oh wait.  Cinco de Mayo."

At least we'll never forget the date.
  • Options
    We had initally wanted to do a summer wedding but found out that my brother was going to be out of the country. We could not do September- October or Feb- May because of my fi's exam schedule so December made the most sense for us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It was either spring or fall for my daughter.  I said fall your in finals and it gets dark so early and spring your out of school in may and it is light later.  It is June.

• Options
    Ours was about scheduling.  We got engaged at the end of October/beginning of November.  Originally we wanted a summer wedding but that coming summer seemed like it was too soon and we weren't keen on the idea of waiting another year after that.

Once we realized summer wasn't a good option for us, we started looking at other times of year that would work.  Based on our schedules, it boiled down to three weekends in Dec - the 14th, 21st or 28th.  We decided right away that we didn't want to get married after Christmas, and we figured the more distance we could put between the wedding and Christmas the happier everyone would be.  So, December 14th it was!
  • Options
    I had always dreamed of a fall outdoor wedding in the autumn colors, but kind of leaning more towards my favorite month of October. By BF got engaged before I did and set a late October date, I didn't want to jump in front of her so after checking with her first, we're doing it two weeks later in November.  I'm just hoping with this crazy weather we'll still have fall leaves!! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I initially wanted an autumn wedding because it's my favorite season, but my best friend was already engaged and had chosen an autumn wedding (Nov 2012) for herself. FI thought the following autumn would be too long of an engagement, so we gave it a little more thought and decided on April - our anniversary month. Our wedding date is just a couple days before our 5 year anniversary of being together!

Weather-wise, I'm hoping next year is like this past April - it was pretty warm weather and not too rainy. But I know what weather is possible so we're having an indoor wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options
    The one thing we didn't want was for it to be during football season, which left March-August. We got engaged in August and didn't want to be engaged too long and summer worked out best for our VIPs (teachers, students, etc.) We wound up getting married on our anniversary, which was also the day we got engaged, so we had an exactly one year engagement!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We needed a long weekend since FI's family needed to travel in and we didn't want them to just travel for one day then leave the next. So we thought about Labor day weekend of 2013 (we got engaged in Aug 2011 and wanted a long engagement) but I didn't want to wait too long so we looked at all the other 3 day weekends and memorial day just seemed to work out. We also wanted our wedding to be closer to when school would be out for the kids since we have a lot of kids coming to our wedding...so May 24 2013 it is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    192 invited image
    69 will be there image
    5 will be missing out image
     118 haven't RSVP'Dimage
    RSVP Deadline: May 3rd
  • Options
    It's obviously a personal decision, but I can tell you that if you are on a budget, don't book for summer or late spring.  Venue charge DOUBLE or TRIPLE the price. 

Price was our first priority, then I fired up Google for the one month of the year that historically had the most stable and mild weather in our area.  October came back as the answer.

Only after the above criteria had been satisfied did we realize that October was our two year anniversary anyway.  Lol!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    We got engaged in late Feb 2012, and when I asked my FI when he was thinking we might actually get married, he said, "I would have proposed last year if I could have, so the sooner the better." He also really wanted to get married on a Saturday and have an evening reception. So then we started looking into venues and we basically just emailed their contacts and asked if they had ANY Saturdays open in 2012. We considered the available dates and the places (too soon, too late, to expensive, not interesting enough...), and landed on the perfect (for us) combiantion of ceremony and reception sites both available Sept 1, 2012. So Sept 1 it was!
  • Options
    We got engaged the last weekend in February 2012. We wanted a fall wedding but didn't want to be rushed for fall 2012. We have a daughter and want another child but we want to wait until we're married to start trying. We'd like them close in age, so waiting a year and a half for fall 2013 didn't work either. We talked about spring but I have pretty horrific outdoor spring allergies and even though I take meds, I didn't want to take the chance of being a puffy mess. It turned out March was off season and considerably cheaper, so March 16, 2013 it is. 

We live in MD and last winter was sooooo mild. It's not unheard of here to have snow into March and because of last year, I think this winter will be a doozy. I'm just hoping for the best. I think with a later March date we'll be ok, but I'm just going to go with the flow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I  have always loved everything about the fall and i wanted to get married on our dating anniversary in october and now our wedding anniversay will be too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I couldn't decide but luckily my fiance knew before he asked me that he wanted a late-September/early-October wedding. Our dating anniversary is September 25th so we tried to get a date close to that. We got September 21st, 2013! We both love that date and that time of year, plus it gives us what seems like the perfect amount of time to plan (we got engaged mid-August 2012.)
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    I always pictured getting married in the fall, but once engaged we both thought a winter wedding would be beautiful and fit our personalities well.  We have discovered, on some things, it is so much cheaper then any other time of the year.  We chose a Friday in January and our venue was 60% off.  We would have never been able to afford it any other time.  Our DJ was also $300 off since it isn't peak season.

My family and a good percentage of my friends are all 2+ hours away also.  I decided the chances of bad weather are just as bad as any other time of the year.  
  • Options
    FI family is orthodox jewish, I'm catholic - I wanted a Sat night wedding but we would not be able to start till 1 hr after sundown. I've seen this done at all months of the year but the idea of eating dinner at 10pm for a summer wedding just was not apealling to me so we went with January when sundown is the earliest - we can now have a traditional 6pm (even earlier if we wanted) Sat night wedding. After that we just decided to go with the holiday weekend because, well, why not? It also give our travelers extra time to stay or go home or whatever. January 19th it is!! The one good thing though, who knew what deals we would get for having an "off season" wedding!! Vendors are at war to get our business bc winter weddings are not so much in demand and we are reaping the benefits!! Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We looked at our work schedules and talked to our families and wedding party members. Plus we didn't want to set the date for less than a year, wanted some time to plan and (hopefully) not get too stressed during the process. I love winter weddings but we live in Northern BC, Canada and some of our family will be driving 9 hours to get here so we ended up deciding on Sept 21, 2013. The roads will stil be great and fall is so beautiful here :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards