Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Unity Candle Ceremony Extender

Hi all.  Need a little help finding an idea for making the unity candle ceremony last long enough for the song we've chosen to play.  The song is about 3:30 and I don't want us to just stand there gawking at each other for 3 minutes after we've lit the candle.  The song is lyrically significant so I don't want to fade or edit it. I want he and I to pray together briefly after the lighting and that won't take very long.  Here are some ideas I've thought of and I hope you'll provide input and any other ideas you may have....

**Sign the certificate of marriage  (can you even do it at this point, without being pronounced husband and wife?)
**Take communion
**Pass the rings to our families for blessing (not sure how to do this because all my immediate family are deceased, leaving only 1 aunt and many close cousins and friends)

I should point out that I like the idea of all 3 things listed above anyway so they're not just filler but they are not all things that would have to be done either at all or at this point in the ceremony.     

I appreciate your input. 

Re: Unity Candle Ceremony Extender

• Options
    A friend did feet washing...I know that sounds SUPER odd but religiously it is one of the most beautiful things you could ever do.

Back in the day of the Bible their feet were really dirty because of the desert and they would wear only sandals.  Washing ones feet was one of the lowest jobs one could do.  However, Jesus washed the feet of the discliples as "...an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messanger greater than the one who senthim. Now that you know these things you will be blessed if you do them."  John 13:15-17.

We had considered it but chose just to do communion and because a good percentage of our guests are not religous so they would not have understood the beauty of it.

Other than that, I suggest communion.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    We let our song go for a few seconds, then broke to light the candle.  After we lit the candle, we signed our license (and yes, you can do it at that point) and then we took communion.  By that time there wasn't a whole lot of time left in the song.  The big thing is to move slowly and deliberately.  Once all of our stuff was done, we took the time to look around and see everyone who was there for us.  It was one of the best parts of the day for us.
  • Options
    You should ask your music director or pastor for advice.

I don't know what your religion is, but in mine, we exchange a sign of peace (kiss, hug, handshake) before communion. After your minister, you and your soon to be husband, exchange a sign of peace, you could pass it to your attendants and close family members, the person at the end of each row, etc...

• Options
    If you wish to have the rings blessed by family, one nice idea is to put them both in a small organza pouch.  This allows them to be seen as the pouch is more or less sheer, but makes them less likely to be dropped (and if they are, eliminates rolling away-related issues!).

I think this would also be a nice time to have communion if just you, or just the wedding party is having it.  If all the guests are offered communion and you have many guests, it may take LONGER than the song depending on how it is passed, or if each person has to come to the front of the church.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your input.  You've given me much to think about and have set my mind at ease that I was going in the right direction.  BTW, Tiffannie--I love the feet washing ceremony.  It's one of my favorite Bibical lessons. 
  • Options
    I don't know if this would work with your wedding party, but I attended a ceremony in which after the couple lit the unity candle, the bridesmaids and groomsmen went up and joined them and the best man led a quiet prayer just loud enough that they could hear.  It was really nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards