Chit Chat

My mom has a question!

She asks, "If the brides family is paying 100% for the reception, can I sit everyone coming on a seating chart without showing it to the grooms mother? Input has been asked from the bride and the groom, and his side is thoughtfully seated."

Mom also says "his mom is a giant pain in the ass and I don't want her messing it up".

image   image   image

Re: My mom has a question!

• Sounds good to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I mean, I probably wouldn't adovocate HIDING it from her, but I sure as hell wouldn't volunteer such information.

Anniversary
  • Does the groom's family have some crazy drama that is likely explode if his relatives aren't seated to their liking? Hopefully not...so I think it's fine. Don't *hide* it from the MOG...just don't ask for her to get involved.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Was the groom's mother asked how she wanted her guests grouped? If you have tables that seat 10 each, and you know the groom's family has 50 guests, I would hope you told her she has 5 tables at which she can group her guests as she likes. Beyond that, I don't know what else she would need to know regarding table arrangements.
  • My kid asked the MOG who she wanted at her table. Then the groom did the rest of his family.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I wouldn't even think to show her the seating?  Why would she need to see it?
  • doeydo said:

I wouldn't even think to show her the seating?  Why would she need to see it?

Because she's nosy and likes to care about things that aren't necessary.

The groom made sure to say seat these friends with these people, these relatives here. I'm not worried about her seeing her family, but that she'll see mine and also notice that 2 of our guests are seating with some of "her" guests and insist that "her guests" could have bright the extra four guests that were never invited in place of the original significant other. We made a big stink about not letting those extras come, and she was offended. So we don't want her to get mad seeing our guests sitting there (because we need the room!). We don't want one table with only two guests at it. My moms money, my moms say. Right?

(Our guests are people who know no one else at the wedding, so we sat them with other people who didn't know many others.)

image   image   image

• I only showed my mom the seating chart because she asked to see it. MIL never asked to see it so I didn't show it to her. I don't think paying for the reception should be a factor in this - you don't have to pay for the reception to seat guests thoughtfully. I would assume the groom knows of any family drama that would require relative to be seated at different tables, and that this has been taken into account when making the seating chart. MOG doesn't need to see it, but if she asks it would be a nice gesture to show her, while informing her that it has been finalized so it can't be changed.

Anniversary
  • Thanks guys!

image   image   image

• As long as the groom looks it over for problems, I see no problems.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I did the entire seating myself.  The only thing I asked the groom about was if it was "ok" to seat a retired officer with an enlisted man.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    I did the entire seating myself.  The only thing I asked the groom about was if it was "ok" to seat a retired officer with an enlisted man.  
    Im curious, is that okay?  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Yeah, I don't see why the MOG would need to be shown the seating chart. 
  • I didn't share my seating chart with either set of parents, and my parents paid for the entire thing.  My Mom and Dad trusted me in seating people correctly.  Neither set of parents even asked to see the seating chart.  So, with that said, just make your seating chart and if the MOG asks about it just say that you and your FI made sure that everyone would be comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards