Wedding Etiquette Forum

FFIL wants a cash bar?

So Fi and FFIL were playing golf this past weekend. They apparently started chatting about the wedding, and the bar situation. Our venue, open bar is $50pp. That's a little rich for us, so we've looked into doing beer/wine/signature beverage, or a consumption bar. Fi was expressing his displeasure at $50pp, and FFIL was offering suggestions. Apparently, that included 'open bar for two hours, then switching over to cash' or (my fave) 'consumption to a certain $ amount then closing the bar

Wha?? Okay, when FSIL got married she had a cash bar, I get that in their family it's not a problem. But no, thank you, I will not be doing that. 

Any suggestions on how to easily kibosh this? We're staying with them this weekend, and I imagine it'll come up. And I've bean-dipped all the other random weirdness that's arisen before, but it's not easy! 

I just cannot even with this.

Re: FFIL wants a cash bar?

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    What scribe said.  If the FIL's aren't contributing then what they say has no bearing.

Edited cause words are hard.

PrettyGirlLost
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yeah, you don't need to fuss with it at all. Don't even bring it up, but if they do ask you about it, just say you've got it handled.
  • Just ignore it.
  • Tell them no. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    PrettyGirlLost
  • scribe95 said:
    Since you are paying why do you even care? Just say you guys will handle it and your guests will be treated well.

SITB

Ah, but they are contributing.The 'here's some money, do with it what you will' kind of contributing.
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Then their contribution can go toward funding the kind of bar you want.  You are under no obligation to make your guests pay for anything.  It's incredibly rude to do so. 
  • Your fiance should tell them the two of you are not interested in doing a cash bar. If they push, he should repeat himself. If they ask why, he should say, "We simply prefer not to and the subject is closed." 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    PrettyGirlLostchibiyui
  • It kind of sounds like this was a casual convo while playing golf. I wouldn't even think twice about it and carry on how you're planning to. 
    *********************************************************************************

• scribe95 said:
    Since you are paying why do you even care? Just say you guys will handle it and your guests will be treated well.

SITB

Ah, but they are contributing.The 'here's some money, do with it what you will' kind of contributing.
    Don't count on them contributing until the money is in your hand.

And even then, you don't need to go into details on how you are spending your money- theirs or otherwise.

If the topic comes up, either bean dip them or tell them you are having a limited, open bar, and then change the subject or walk away.  Then, don't discuss your bar details with them any further in the future.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks, all. I am still super awkward around them, so stuff like this throws me for a bit of a loop. You've made some very good points, and I'll rehash it with Fi, who last I knew was on the same page as I was. 
  • Honestly, I would just ignore it. I've gotten a ton of really awful suggestions from friends and family members. I just politely nod and change the subject. 
    PrettyGirlLost
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards