Wedding Party
Options

To Those Who Think the Bridesmaids Have "Duties" and "Expectations"

edited August 2014 in Wedding Party
I want to share this as a warning to any lurking bride out there on these boards who may be questioning if their BFF isn't "doing their part" or is thinking that her WP should be doing more for the wedding.

When I was asked to be in a good friend's wedding, I couldn't be happier to be asked.  I searched online and through bridal magazines to scope out ideas, I answered those 11pm texts about color coordination and even called references for the bride when she was picking out a photographer. I was willing to make crafts and be that shoulder for her to cry on when she got too stressed out.

My excitement and willingness to help her out changed over time as she never took bridesmaid budgets into consideration, she threw a huge fit when a bridesmaid became pregnant and she asked for a lavish $1,000 a girl destination bachelorette party.  There were multiple references to her "day" and how she "deserved" certain things.  She complained to me about how other BMs were not giving her expensive gifts, they were not willing to buy new expensive shoes to wear with their dresses and how dare a BM miss the bridal shower because that BM had planned a vacation at the same time.  She even questioned my finances when I explained how I couldn't afford that ridiculously expensive bachelorette party trip. I did everything I could for her, including taking a day from work to transport decorations and flowers to the ceremony site the day before the wedding.  I spent more money than I intended to to make sure I "fit the part."

On the day of her wedding, she was only nice to the MOH and one BM who she felt had lived up to the "bridesmaid duties."  She ignored the pregnant BM and she definitely didn't want to be around certain BMs who she felt hadn't done their part. It was awkward and hard to enjoy being part of the celebration when you felt the bride shooting evil glances behind your back.

When the two of us met up for lunch a few days later, she told me she regretted her bridal party and wished she could go back and change it to not having anyone involved because "no one met expectations."   I'm not friends with this person any longer after we had this conversation. It was difficult ending a nearly 15 year friendship but I know it was the right decision.

Don't be that bride.  You may feel like you're not getting what the bridal magazines tell you about "duties" and "expectations" of your WP, but if you're not careful, you may end up with a lot less by not having friends because of your behavior.

Re: To Those Who Think the Bridesmaids Have "Duties" and "Expectations"

• Options
    pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    I think that people tend to lose common sense when it comes to weddings. All it takes is a bit of empathy and common sense when it comes to how you treat your friends and loved ones during the wedding planning process. I am not demanding or expecting anything from my bridesmaids. I invite them to things (I invited them to go dress shopping, and my MOH to go to a bridal show), but I don't force them to do these things. I am not about to demand a destination bachelorette party. One of my bridesmaids is currently pregnant, and I am thrilled for her. A wedding is essentially a one day party. Is it worth ruining years of friendships for that?

One of my friends recently got married. The entire time she complained to me about her bridal party. One of her bridesmaids (her cousin) became pregnant, and gave birth shortly before the wedding. My friend was so pissed that this girl had the "nerve to get pregnant" so close to her wedding. She spoke of how ugly, fat, and disgusting she was going to look in her dress, and how she would "ruin the vision." She and her FI chose a Sweetheart table because they "can't be bothered to sit with everyone else." At her bridal shower, her MOH seemed upset and annoyed. A mutual friend and I could just tell. This chick probably put her through hell. 

I found this most telling though, at her actual wedding. The MOH speech just seemed very dry and generic. I love hearing the MOH and BM speeches because they are usually so sweet and fun. I also noticed that the MOH left the wedding shortly after the speech. Even FI noticed and thought it was strange. She sat at our table, so I know that it wasn't an emergency that occurred. 

People need to remember that your Bridal party consists of your nearest and dearest, and not wedding day props.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @pinkcow13  This particular bride made those types of comments when the BM became pregnant. "She's stealing the spotlight!" was heard a lot.  I can never fathom how the hell you would think a friend who's expecting a baby would "steal the spotlight" on your wedding day.
  • Options
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    @pinkcow13  This particular bride made those types of comments when the BM became pregnant. "She's stealing the spotlight!" was heard a lot.  I can never fathom how the hell you would think a friend who's expecting a baby would "steal the spotlight" on your wedding day.
    Wow, that is ridiculous.I remember right before the wedding, I went to lunch with her and our other friend (who was at the shower and wedding also), and she just kept saying horrible things about her pregnant BM. She even went as far as to say "Why would she get pregnant if she knew she was going to be my bridesmaid?" My friend and I are very easy going and laid back, but she was getting to us on that day. So I can only imagine how her bridal party must have felt.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @pinkcow13 Almost sounds like the same bride.  How so, so, sad.
  • Options
    I feel that weddings bring out the crazy out of some people. It really is sad.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Amen, CrabbyLucy!

I try to venture onto this board every so often but am only ever met with whining about BM's not doing their part.  I just don't understand. 

My girls threw me a great bachelorette party and offered generic assistance with anything wedding related, but I haven't taken them up on any offers of help because a) FI and I do stuff ourselves if we b) aren't paying the professionals already to do something. Plus, my mom's all over the creative stuff like white on rice.  She and FMIL are big worryworts and have everything down to Plan Z. 

The one BM I see on a weekly basis asks me questions all the time and lets me vent about stressful stuff (which is rare), but the others are certainly under no obligation to do the same. One has two small kids and the other lives in another state.  It'd be silly and delusional of me to "expect" anything. 

• Options
    Woah, and I felt bad about trying to plan a bachelorette that would be $200.  haha.  Bridezilla for sure.  I can't believe she planned her own party AND expected such an outrageous sum of money.    

• Options
    Some people have become so brainwashed. I have been as respectful and thoughtful as possible. My girls keep saying they are going to buy certain shoes together and I keep telling them to just wear whatever they already own. I declined a shower.

I was telling them at I felt really bad because we're doing all the photos an hour before the ceremony and I feel bad that the GM's wives have to sit at the site and wait for us. And my BM's kept saying "oh my god, don't feel bad, don't even worry about those wives, it's your day!!" I was like no don't call it that, I am worried about it and don't want to be rude to these spouses. 

I apologized to my BM for even asking her to come to the dress fitting, I said I'm really sorry to waste your time but I need you to learn how to do the bustle. And she said "don't be sorry- it's my duty!" I was like no, it's not, but thank you for coming! 

• Options
    One of my BMs is living in Spain right now, and she offered to drop out of the bridal party because she was "worried she wouldn't be able to do enough for me" and wouldn't be able to attend pre-wedding parties. I felt awful that she felt like this was cause to drop out, or that she wasn't worthy of standing up for me only because she lived far away. I told her all I expect is for her to show up on time for the wedding and that's ALL I need her to do. 

What the hell has happened to the bridal industry that this is the impression these days?!! BMs are beloved, dear friends and should be treated that way. Brides are not queens and should not try to act like they are. Jesus, people! Come on! It's really so sad to me. 

Side note, I was on Pinterest last night (first time I've ever been on it, actually) and there was a mug that said "The Bride's Bitch" and was MEANT TO BE A GIFT FOR A BM!!!!! I could not believe it. So disgusting, and so demoralizing to call someone your bitch. And on top of that, to give them an insult as a "gift"? Are you effing kidding me?! I would like to slap whatever moron pinned that or posted it or whatever it's called. 
  • Options
    crabbylucy thank you for making this thread! Amen, sista! 
  • Options

3 of my bridesmaids are out of state as well as my MOH. Since day 1 I have told them all i want is you to be there next to me at the wedding. Two of my BM's can't make my bachelorrete and shower. Yes, it stinks but I understand. Traveling gets expensive. I'm already asking them to pay for a dress and then travel for the wedding. I don't want much more from them. Some people need a reality check.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards