Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank you note now and/or later?

I received an email from Macy's saying that the present that Jane Doe sent me is delayed and will not be delivered until October. Should I send a thank you note now? Should I send one when I actually receive the gift? Or should I send one now and then later? TIA!

Re: Thank you note now and/or later?

• How close are you to Jane?

If you are very close I would send her an email/text letting her know that Macy's had contacted you and "I can't wait to open it!"

No matter what I would wait until after you received the gift to send the thank you note.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Jane is my very good friend's mother, we go to their house often for family events (kids birthdays, New Years). I would hate for her to feel like I was being rude, especially since my very good friend is the very best person I know about thank you notes. I don't have her phone number or email, but could easily get it from my friend.
  • I'd wait until you get it.   Macy's cancelled a few orders on us after they were delayed. 
  • I would DEFINITELY let her know it's been delayed but you're looking forward to opening it. I see all the time on here that sending thank you notes is a way to help let guests know that their gift has arrived (aside from the obvious proper etiquette and Thank You-ness itself, anyway). She may be unsure if it's actually going to get there as well - I always worry about whether stuff I put in the mail gets there safely or not. 

Also - she can know to be watching in case it gets canceled a la what @banana468 said.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards