Chit Chat

Colored lowlights

I'm thinking about getting purple lowlights before we go on our honeymoon. DH actually suggested it, which surprised me. We both work for pretty conservative companies but as he pointed out I've worked from hinge for almost 2 years and haven't done anything remotely wacky.

I love the pictures below (especially the one with the caramel too), but at 45 I'm afraid I'm going to look like one of those old ladies wearing things that are way too young for them. Thoughts?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Colored lowlights

• Helen Mirren had pink hair last year and she's in her 60's.

Make sure you pick a purple that goes with your skin and current hair coloring. That might require the colorist to mix you a custom color. I love the pravana line. They make the BEST colors.

When you do it, you'll want to wash your hair less and use sulfate-free shampoos. Also make sure that you change your pillow case to an old one or cheap one, because for a few days the color will shed and rub off on fabric it touches. If your hair is long enough to touch your shirts, don't wear light colors for the first week.
  • Seconding Pravana rec!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I'm sorry, but I don't like unnatural hair colors. Especially on women older than like 25. I guess I just don't get the draw. 
  • When I get full-blown old lady gray I'm going to do like I saw a lot of old nonnis in Italy doing. SUPER BRIGHT Ariel-red hair. That way, there's no missing me when I'm coming your way.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Well, I'm going to a tropical island, I think it's fun, my DH thinks it would be sexy, and it's less permanent than a nose ring....
  • I would stick with more natural lowlights/highlights if I were you. The purple is nice but screams college freshman who just wants to get her drink on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would stick with more natural lowlights/highlights if I were you. The purple is nice but screams college freshman who just wants to get her drink on. 
    Some of us over 22 do want to get our drink on...

Also, OP, I've had a nose ring. I took it out, the hole closed, if you look for it I guess it looks a little like a bigger pore. But wouldn't get one before a vacation, because swimming could open you up to infections.
  • I'm sorry, but I don't like unnatural hair colors. Especially on women older than like 25. I guess I just don't get the draw. 
    Fun. The draw is fun, and not regretting not doing it in the future.

After all, it's hair; it's temporary, and the worst thing that can happen is you have to change it.
  • I guess it is temporary, she could always change it again if she doesn't like it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2014
    I guess it is temporary, she could always change it again if she doesn't like it.
    Unnatural hair colors, even when babied, fade really fast (except green, because it's evil). If she didn't like it, she could basically wash her hair daily with hot water and cheap shampoo for 3-4 weeks, and then have what's left covered up with a brunette.

The process of being an unnatural hair color is a lot more work than going back. Really, the worse part is if you have naturally dark hair, you have to lighten the hair before you turn into an unnatural color. Then when you go back, even brunette will lighten slightly. So until you can grow the bleach out, a little of your hair will start looking a touch lighter than the rest about 5-6 weeks out.
  • Do it. Get yo' freak on.

I really want hot pink lowlights. Might do it after the wedding, maybe over the last of my blonde before I go back to my Ariel red (old ladies can't have all the fun, @beethery!)

• I've got dark brown hair so I typically go all over purple with dark red underneath. Can not wait to go purple again.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Go for it! I have very dark brown hair in a short pixie cut and died a chunk in the front dark purple for a bit. It was fun and I got tons of compliments. And I'm a professional adult over 25 (*gasp*). It's just hair. If you don't like it, you can change it back!
  • I've had every color under the sun. Just went back to natural dark brown so I can grow it out (:
  • Thanks ladies :) DH saying he thinks it would be hot also helped lol. My daughter had purple steaks for awhile, then blue, so I know it will wash out after awhile, but in her in between stage we just had her bleached bits done a caramel color and that looked lovely.

Plus my daughter told me she'd take me to the mall and shout out "This is my mom! !!" Lol I love my family :)
  • My mom had purple hair for most of my childhood.  I mean really purple, and sometimes pink.  This was in her 20's but she kept it up into her 30's.  It fit with her personal style and worked with her skin, and I always thought it looked great.

Within the past few years in an effort not to look like she's trying to be younger, she's gone more of a bright red and sort of gotten a Mommy-type layered bob.  Honestly I think it ages her more because she just looks like every other 51-year-old mom, KWIM?

Do what you think is true to your personal style.  Yes, make sure the color works with your skin tone.  But if you want those purple streaks, work them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• GURL. GO for it! It's hair. It grows out, it grows back, it can be changed back if you hate it. DO. IT.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I love the purple on the right! Do it. Age has nothing to do with it! As long as you keep up with the color or dye it back when you are done with it, it will never look bad. The stylist should know what shade will be flattering.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards