Wedding Woes

Telling partners about my STI

Dear Prudence,
In 2005 I got herpes. In my first relationship following this distressing event, I couldn’t muster the courage to tell my boyfriend until a month into our relationship (after we had sex) and he was exceedingly angry. Although we went on to have a three-year relationship where herpes ceased to matter (he never got it), I still feel some guilt about not telling him. In my next serious relationship I was totally upfront, and it didn’t impact the relationship at all, and he, too, didn’t get it. But despite this, I still have trouble telling a potential partner. I know that quite a few people have herpes, but whenever I contemplate telling someone I fear the stigma and the possible rejection. The obvious solution seems to be not to have sex until I’m comfortable enough with a partner to share this piece of information. The only problem is that inevitably sex comes up long before I’ve reached the level of intimacy where I can get this out. I never have sex without condoms, I take Valtrex preventatively when there is a possibility of sex and I am vigilant about paying attention to possible signs of an outbreak. Given this, I’ve decided that I will tell partners when the herpes interferes with our sex life—i.e. whenever I am concerned that I might have an outbreak and I have to curtail physical activities. I’ve discussed this with close friends and most think it’s fair. What do you think?

—To Tell or Not to Tell

Re: Telling partners about my STI

• The obvious solution seems to be not to have sex until I’m comfortable enough with a partner to share this piece of information. The only problem is that inevitably sex comes up long before I’ve reached the level of intimacy where I can get this out. 

I'm all kinds of judgy over this.

If you can't speak up and tell your partner that you have herpes, then you sure as all hell shouldn't be sleeping with them.

I'm wondering if OP knowingly had sex with the person who gave her herpes, or if that person didn't say anything. If OP was not told by their partner, and then contracted herpes, why would they think it was ok to not warn future partners in advance?
  • Yeah. What? If you can't talk about sex - and that means disclosing history - you shouldn't be having it. Period. 
  • @mrs.conn - you're a mess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards