Chit Chat

Northern MI Folks!

l9il9i member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat

So I'm thinking of planning a weekend trip mid-October to Northern Michigan, I was thinking Traverse City area and doing some winery tours.

Has anyone been up this way or have advice for MUST dos or things NOT to do.

I've never been up that way so I'm pretty clueless - thanks!

Re: Northern MI Folks!

• I've never been either, but I'm thinking of doing a mini-moon in that area, so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread!
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    TC is a wonderful and beautiful place to visit! I also suggest going to the UP for a color tour. The leaves are already changing there because it gets so cold. I am from Marquette, and I'm fairly sure it's the most beautiful place in Michigan. Don't waste your time in Detroit or anywhere south of grand rapids. Go nature or go home!

Visit some state parks and stuff. I really, really recommend going to the Upper Penninsula. 

Sleeping bear dunes, the Mackinaw bridge, mackinaw island, beaver island, drummond island, the Keewenaw and Ontonagon are all awesome.

Visit Lake Superior. It's like an ocean and the Floes are beautiful if you get there in winter.

@lolo883
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

pinklilly122
  • larrygaga said:
    TC is a wonderful and beautiful place to visit! I also suggest going to the UP for a color tour. The leaves are already changing there because it gets so cold. I am from Marquette, and I'm fairly sure it's the most beautiful place in Michigan. Don't waste your time in Detroit or anywhere south of grand rapids. Go nature or go home!

Visit some state parks and stuff. I really, really recommend going to the Upper Penninsula. 

Sleeping bear dunes, the Mackinaw bridge, mackinaw island, beaver island, drummond island, the Keewenaw and Ontonagon are all awesome.

@lolo883

The bolded makes me LOL.  I at least know that much... the only time I visit Detroit is for a sports game. 

My orignal plan was wineries.  My BFF and I are planning a surprise trip for our husbands.  However, all of us are of the somewhat outdoorsy type so I color tour and nature would also be nice.  Coming from Ohio though that just means a longer drive....

larrygaga
  • Here is an album of random pictures I have of lake superior last year and of this random river I found. I know you won't make it in the winter, and none of the pictures are pictures of Floes, but I remembered this album and wanted to share. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• l9i said:
    larrygaga said:

@lolo883

The bolded makes me LOL.  I at least know that much... the only time I visit Detroit is for a sports game. 

My orignal plan was wineries.  My BFF and I are planning a surprise trip for our husbands.  However, all of us are of the somewhat outdoorsy type so I color tour and nature would also be nice.  Coming from Ohio though that just means a longer drive....

I pinky swear the drive is worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

Visit Lake Superior. It's like an ocean and the Floes are beautiful if you get there in winter.

@lolo883
    Awww, sad. This is actually my backup plan if I can't get enough time off to go that far north. FI's cousins just bought a second/"vacation" home in New Buffalo, so we might go there if TC doesn't pan out.
  • larrygaga said:

@lolo883
    We're gonna fight. Detroit rocks.

But yes, the UP is beautiful, whatever. The fall colors will be pretty much done by then though. I love St. Ignace and Whitefish Point, and Tahquamenon Falls State Park is one of my favorite places ever. Traverse City is awesome, but check to make sure places you want to go are still open because a lot of them are seasonal. Make sure you hit up L Mawby for sparkling wine (they have one called "Sex") and Blackstar Farms because it's gorgeous, and because cheese. Stick with white wines because Michigan red wines are terrible. Also Northern Latitudes Distillery in Lake Leelenau.

larrygaga
  • Pictured Rocks is insanely beautiful if you have a chance to get up there.
    imageimage">
  • larrygaga said:

@lolo883

But yes, the UP is beautiful, whatever. The fall colors will be pretty much done by then though. I love St. Ignace and Whitefish Point, and Tahquamenon Falls State Park is one of my favorite places ever. Traverse City is awesome, but check to make sure places you want to go are still open because a lot of them are seasonal. Make sure you hit up L Mawby for sparkling wine (they have one called "Sex") and Blackstar Farms because it's gorgeous, and because cheese. Stick with white wines because Michigan red wines are terrible. Also Northern Latitudes Distillery in Lake Leelenau.
    It's okay but if someone is just visiting for a little while they should go north. Detroit is fine if you have more time. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    Here is an album of random pictures I have of lake superior last year and of this random river I found. I know you won't make it in the winter, and none of the pictures are pictures of Floes, but I remembered this album and wanted to share. 

Those pictures are gorgeous!
  • larrygaga said:

@lolo883

Some of those places I found when I was doing searches.  I saw that many places do wine tours.. do you have experience with this??  I know any kind of tour can be very hit or miss....
  • @lolo883  That is awesome!!  

Yes, I was thinking of the tour bus deal to hit up wineries without the driving.  I like just hiring a driver idea better, because then we can choose and we can also do some breweries as well.  I will certainly check Randy out!!
  • @lolo883 They seriously don't mind doing that. Because after looking at the site I feel a little weird calling and say "Hey, I see that you take old people to the doctor, will you take me to drink wine" lol.
  • l9i said:
    @lolo883 They seriously don't mind doing that. Because after looking at the site I feel a little weird calling and say "Hey, I see that you take old people to the doctor, will you take me to drink wine" lol.
    Honest to God. I think he finds it entertaining. :) But between my group of friends we've probably used him 6 times in the last 2 years. Hell, he drove me for my bachelorette party, and his wife took me to Taco Bell afterward.

ashley8918
  • larrygaga said:

@lolo883

Gurl.  You know I got your back.  At the wedding I attended this past weekend, I may have gotten a little tipsy and told ALL of DH's relatives how Detroit is better than any city on the West Coast (god help me, I don't know why his family puts up with me).

(I'm sorry I have nothing constructive to add, @I9i!  It's been awhile since I lived in the Mitten and OP's have suggested everything [and more!] that I would've.  I'm just a FIERCE Detroit supporter...!)
    Anniversary

theartistformerlyknownasprincessleia22larrygaga
  • I would have to concur with nature sightseeing in the UP. I moved out of MI about 10 years ago. A couple years ago I took DH (then BF) to MI for a 10-day trip in August. During that time he got to see Lake Michigan (we camped a couple nights in Muskegon) and Lake Huron (I have family in Port Huron). He got to see Lansing, Detroit & Grand Rapids. But, I really regret not taking the time to go up farther north while we were there. We wanted to, but just got busy visiting family in lower MI. I really want to take him back and visit Mackinac Island and Tahquamenon Falls. Traverse City is awesome too. That time of year is great for getting out and seeing the awesome color change of the trees. I've gone back to MI a few times in mid-October, and the flight in is just amazing, looking down at all the tree colors. If you do the wine tours in T.C., at least plan a short road trip, even in that area, to see the fall scenery.

larrygaga
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I live in the D right now and I'm not saying it's awful, but if you are going to pick between the D and northern michigan nature you better pick the nature. Or else I can't talk to you anymore.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

princessleia22
  • Um. Detroit Rocks. I could make a weekend trip out of eastern market and corktown alone!

But Northern Michigan is pretty nice too :) - OP depending on which way you are heading up it might be worth a stop to check out Frankenmuth on the way. The chicken sucks but a beer at the Frankenmuth brewery during lunch is worth the stop.
  • Um. Detroit Rocks. I could make a weekend trip out of eastern market and corktown alone!

But Northern Michigan is pretty nice too :) - OP depending on which way you are heading up it might be worth a stop to check out Frankenmuth on the way. The chicken sucks but a beer at the Frankenmuth brewery during lunch is worth the stop.

I got engaged in Frankenmuth. :) Definitely skip Zehnders and go to the brewery.

larrygagailoveotters2014

I'd be taking 75 most of the way
    iloveotters2014
  • larrygaga said:
    I live in the D right now and I'm not saying it's awful, but if you are going to pick between the D and northern michigan nature you better pick the nature. Or else I can't talk to you anymore.

I have a funny story about Detroit.  So for the HM we went to Montreal. While there someone asked where we were from and we described it as Ohio, south of Detroit.  Legit, the guy asks "Oh, I've heard that's not a place you go to... is it true?"  He said it like it's an active war zone or something.  I thought it was funny....  I've been to Detroit many times, mostly for sports games like I said, but something more scenic and chill for this trip :)
    larrygaga
  • l9i said:

larrygaga said:

I have a funny story about Detroit.  So for the HM we went to Montreal. While there someone asked where we were from and we described it as Ohio, south of Detroit.  Legit, the guy asks "Oh, I've heard that's not a place you go to... is it true?"  He said it like it's an active war zone or something.  I thought it was funny....  I've been to Detroit many times, mostly for sports games like I said, but something more scenic and chill for this trip :)

Oh Jesus. SMH.

ashley8918
  • TC is a great place to go. I also love Petoskey, it's about 1 1/2 hours from TC and it's beautiful there. I also second the UP color tour, it's absolutely gorgeous.
  • Traverse City area is gorgeous! If you go and want to do wineries, choose the Old Mission peninsula one day and the Leelanau peninsula another day. Both have really great wineries - you can google those two things and find a million. While you're on the Leelenau peninsula, check out Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Pierce Stocking scenic drive and find a way to get out to Lake Michigan (have lunch in Leland). If you're staying in Traverse City, there are a bunch of breweries and good restaurants downtown. 

H and I have a house in this area and love traveling to there so PM me if you want further recommendations.
    *********************************************************************************

l9i
  • You guys have been wonderful!  Thank you so much!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards