Wedding Reception Forum

Dance floor on sloping grass?

My fiancé and I really would like to have our wedding in his parent's backyard but the area is grassy with quite a slope. Is it possible to have a tent/dance floor setup on this kind of surface? Has anyone else experienced something similar? How did you deal with the slope? Is there a way to put something under the floor to even it out a bit? Are vendors able to do this? We're also on a pretty tight budget so if it would be too expensive to do this, please let me know.

Re: Dance floor on sloping grass?

• Well, if you google variations of tent dance floor setup and slope, you'll find lots of tent rental company websites and they all address this topic and they all say that a "slight slope" is probably workable, but anything more than slight, it's quite likely that they either can't do it at all or it will be more expensive.

So, depending on what "quite a slope" means, I would probably move on to plan b, but you'll never really know until you call up tent rental places in your area and give them specifics (size of the yard, size tent you'd need, the gradation of the slope, etc.).
  • Some rental places have staging that they can use to try to even out the area, but that's usually only if there is a slight slope or some divets in the grass. They can adjust the staging platform to be fairly level, however that can really jack up the cost.

Most rental companies will offer to come to the property and look at it in person to determine what you need. Some charge $100 or so to do this and will waive it if you rent from them. I recommend making a few calls to some places in the area and go from there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know how much it would be, but apparently you can put scaffolding or a level platform on a hill and the flooring and stuff on top of that. 
    ScaffoldingScaffoldingimage
  • Also, backyard wedding can often turn out to be WAY more expensive than you're expecting, if you're having a large number of guests. What are you going to do about bathrooms? About parking? You may have to get insurance, and hire licensed bar tenders, etc. 
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Get a quote by phone for dance floor with subfloor.  Then have event company out to venue to make sure it's workable if the phone quote is in your budget.  If the slope is too great, subfloor may not be enough.

I had a subfloor put down under the parquet dance floor.  The grass was pretty flat at my reception site, but just to be sure the floor would be completely smooth since it was a natural surface.

And if you're getting married at your parents, make sure you've planned for restrooms (restroom trailers are expensive but worth it because your parents' one or two bathrooms, unless they have a larger home, are inadequate for a bunch of guests; and do you really want guests tromping all through your parents' home?  My restroom trailer with individual rooms, enough for 120 guests, was $2,100, but included air conditioning, an attendant to replenish towels, etc, and flat screen TVs in each room.) And insurance.  If someone gets hurt on the sloping grass/drinks too much/damages any property there, you and your parents are liable without an event insurance policy.  Mine was a small expense--just over $200--and included coverage for an open bar so long as licensed bartenders were doing the serving.  Some insurance policies require licensed bartenders if there's an open bar.  These are two things that are important, and that you may not have considered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards