Chit Chat
Options

Who knew a baby shower could be fun?

I normally loathe baby showers, but I always attend because I just feel like good friends should be there. I would feel like a flake if I didn't go for no reason. All the ones I've been to involved 20-50 women just sitting around, making small talk, and awkwardly watching mom to be open two hours worth of gifts. Just super boring in my book. 
Well, I just went to one and it rocked my world. Saturday night, 75 people- coed and tons of children, DJ blasting Spanish music, guys drinking beer, women dancing, mom to be taught me to cha cha, two different strangers handed me their newborn babies, lots of laughter, home cooked food, no gift opening. Legit- so much fun. 

Re: Who knew a baby shower could be fun?

• Options
    That sounds better than any baby shower I've ever been to. But goodness gracious, 75 people? That sounds like a lot to host for a shower. High fives to whoever put it together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Sounds like my kind of baby shower! Like @blabla89‌ said, cheers to whoever was able to put that together. It seems like a hell of a lot of work!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Sounds awesome minus the rando baby holding and the no gift opening. (I don't like holding babies) and I thought it was tacky to not open gifts at the shower?

But the rest sounds like a blast! I'd have been drinking some beer, too, if my allergies didn't want to kill me. Man, I miss beer.

• Options
    I agree with lco7. Sounds less boring than the usual showers, but if I bring you a gift, I want to see it opened.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    That sounds awesome.

I personally find the gift opening to be really long and boring, so I definitely wouldn't mind it not being included in the party.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I normally loathe baby showers, but I always attend because I just feel like good friends should be there. I would feel like a flake if I didn't go for no reason. All the ones I've been to involved 20-50 women just sitting around, making small talk, and awkwardly watching mom to be open two hours worth of gifts. Just super boring in my book. 
    Well, I just went to one and it rocked my world. Saturday night, 75 people- coed and tons of children, DJ blasting Spanish music, guys drinking beer, women dancing, mom to be taught me to cha cha, two different strangers handed me their newborn babies, lots of laughter, home cooked food, no gift opening. Legit- so much fun. 
    Did people bring gifts?  If I bring someone a gift, I like to see the recipient open it. 
  • Options

That sounds awesome.

I personally find the gift opening to be really long and boring, so I definitely wouldn't mind it not being included in the party.

I agree. I know I'm in the minority but I don't care to see my gift or anyone elses opened in front of me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I always thought I wouldn't care if gift opening got skipped, but the last shower I went to was like that and I felt sort of squicky about it. I don't know if it was planned that way or if they just ran out of time (lots of people got stuck in traffic because of road closures because Obama was in town that day and we didn't know about it).

There was an open bar though. I definitely recommend that!

• Options
    I agree the gift opening is boring as fuck, but there is something off-putting to me about, "Put your gift over there; I'll get to it later."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not like I enjoy opening of gifts, but if it's a shower, it should happen.  It doesn't have to be long and drawn out.  75 people with coed and lots of children is what.....30 gifts?  Yeah, she should have opened them.  She could have done it on the side and kept music on the other side for those that weren't interested.
  • Options
    To be honest, it was from 6-10pm and I left at 9:20. Gifts had not been opened at that point so I doubt they were opened in the last half hour but for all I know they could have been. 
    I really don't mind it not being opened in front of me, there is only so much "ooo"ing and "aaah"ing that I can handle. She texted me around midnight thanking me for the gift (I'm sure she will send a card too). 

• Options
    I could do without the gift opening AND the dumb baby shower games at most parties, haha.  This one sounds like it was a winner!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards