Chit Chat
Options

Babysitter gift cards?

Hey!  One of my BMs is my FSIL, and I wanted to give her a night out for her BM gift... I was thinking a restaurant gift card or something.  But she has 3 boys, and I don't want me "gift" to result in her needing to find a sitter - especially since my FMIL usually watches the boys, so I would feel like my gift to FSIL would actually just be extra work for FMIL.  So my question is - would it be weird to also give her a gift card to care.com or something like that?  Or is that weird?  She's never used it before - would you guys with kids feel awkward about using a site like that to get a babysitter?

Thanks!

Re: Babysitter gift cards?

• Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Do you live close enough so that you and FI could offer to babysit for them?

• Options
    emmaaa said:

No :(.  Unfortunately, we live about 3-4 hours away.  Otherwise, that would be a great option
  • Options
    If she's never used it before, I would say it's not a great idea. Do you live close enough that you could offer to babysit for a night? Or maybe you could offer to pay for a regular babysitter they already use to babysit one night.

• Options
    If she's never used it before, I would say it's not a great idea. Do you live close enough that you could offer to babysit for a night? Or maybe you could offer to pay for a regular babysitter they already use to babysit one night.

The babysitters they usually use are her mom and aunt, so I can't really do that.  They would never take money from me to babysit (and would be offended by my suggesting it was a "job"), and I don't know of any other ones they use.

Thanks, though.  I'll hold off on the gift card idea.

• Options
    Parents are pretty picky about who watches their kid.  I had cousins who would drive 30 minutes one-way to pick me up to watch their kids when their normal family wasn't able to sit for them.

You already said FMIL often watches the kids. Do you know if she has any non-family watching them?    If she has never used them before I would be hesitant to give her one now. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:
    emmaaa said:

No :(.  Unfortunately, we live about 3-4 hours away.  Otherwise, that would be a great option
    Oh I see. Could you just ask her if she would use a care.com gift card?

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Parents are pretty picky about who watches their kid.  I had cousins who would drive 30 minutes one-way to pick me up to watch their kids when their normal family wasn't able to sit for them.

You already said FMIL often watches the kids. Do you know if she has any non-family watching them?    If she has never used them before I would be hesitant to give her one now. 

I know she has had non-family watch them, but I don't know who they are, and FI doesn't have their info or anything.  And he thinks it may have just been a favor instead of a paying babysitter.

I was worried it would be a bad idea (which is why I wanted to check here first).  I'll definitely hold off. 

Would it be weird to offer to pay for their hotel room to visit FI and I in DC, and sayFI and I will watch the kids so they can have a date night?  I feel like that requires too much effort on their part to be a gift, but the kids LOVE DC and always ask when they can visit next (except for the 2 year old.  He doesn't remember DC, and mostly asks when he can meet batman)

• Options
    Honestly I think parents who receive a gift card to a nice night out would be gauche as all hell if they then were irritated that they had to get a babysitter in order to enjoy it. The dinner's free; the cost of paying for their own sitter becomes minimal. It's their choice to ask the MIL to sit (for free)--that's not on you for giving them a gift. 

You're really sweet to consider that aspect of things, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to worry about their childcare situation when you're giving them a gift card. Any time someone gives a gift card, the recipient has to deal with the logistics of using it--why should a parent be any different?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards