Chit Chat
Options

Waaaaah (FWP) help?

So I just started looking up a tour for Stonehenge & Bath from London. They are all the typical couch tours, lots of people. Well I found out there are special tours that grant access inside the ropes at Stonehenge and you can go right up to the rocks. BUUUUUTT they operate before anyone gets there at 6am, or after the other tours are gone at 6pm.

We are morning people and would have no problem doing the early one- but they are sold out on the websites I can find! Then the night ones are sold out until the 7:30pm time slot....which would be completely dark in March. (I googled last year's sunset time and it was 6:01pm). I'm super frigen bummed that we will have to do an average one during the day and stay behind the ropes. Maybe some of you interweb sleuths could try and find an available one for me? :) March 9, 10, 11.

I am pretty sure I looked at every option/ website but it's worth a shot! Love youuuuss!!

Re: Waaaaah (FWP) help?

• Options
    Is there really that big of a draw to looking at a rock up close and personal? 

• Options
    I've been before and, granted, I had to stay behind the rope, I was really underwhelmed. I honestly think you're better off spending the time doing something else.
  • Options
    If you visit the standing stones in Scotland, you can go right up to them and stroke them lovingly, if you so desire. It might be a bit out of the way...
  • Options

No, I mean it's not the end of the world if we can't. But it does kind of suck knowing that other people paid the same as you and got something you didn't. Like when I went to statue of liberty, I got the one that lets you go inside for no extra charge and so many people were mad that they weren't let in because their ticket didn't have that option.

I guess it would have just lent itself better to cool pictures, and let's face it, half the joy of visiting places is having the pictures.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

No, I mean it's not the end of the world if we can't. But it does kind of suck knowing that other people paid the same as you and got something you didn't. Like when I went to statue of liberty, I got the one that lets you go inside for no extra charge and so many people were mad that they weren't let in because their ticket didn't have that option.

I guess it would have just lent itself better to cool pictures, and let's face it, half the joy of visiting places is having the pictures.

Would it though? I kinda feel like with that sort of thing it's better to have the perspective from far away. I'd rather do like a helicopter tour where I could see them from above. Up close I don't think you get the same effect; it just looks like a rock from there.

• Options
    My family and I did this back when I was a teenager. It's actually really fun to get up close because there are some serious whack-a-doos who go in the morning. They dance around, meditate loudly, pray to the rocks/alien overlords. Totally worth it. 
  • Options
    I've taken a similar tour, and we were behind the ropes.  I remember wishing we could get closer, but really we weren't there for too long because there isn't all that much to see.  Bath is amazing, there's a lot to see there.  If you're planning on going elsewhere in the UK, there are other rock structures you can go up to (PP mentioned Scotland, there are also some in Ireland).  The reason we were told we couldn't go up to Stonehenge is because the rocks have been heavily vandalized by tourists, and they showed us a picture with names, shapes, whatever carved over significant portions of the rocks.  It's not really in a pristine state, so it was nice to see the rocks without having to see the vandalism when we looked at them from further away.  Not sure that makes sense but it worked in my (coffee-free) head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been before and, granted, I had to stay behind the rope, I was really underwhelmed. I honestly think you're better off spending the time doing something else.

True. I think a daytrip could be better spent but I've been to England. DH hasn't, so he really wants to go and see the "typical" things.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

True. I think a daytrip could be better spent but I've been to England. DH hasn't, so he really wants to go and see the "typical" things.
    I've been to England and never once considered Stonehenge to be a "must-see" typical thing.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

- - -
    I didn't mean to skip it totally, but that you could do an "extra" tour somewhere else and enjoy that more!
  • Options
    I have no input on the tours but when I was there for a month I had a car and it made it so nice for the outside of London things. We did Stonehenge and it was cool to see but most of the fun was the drive I thought (I like that kind of thing) and then I was able to leave when I wanted or take my time if I wanted.. just a thought if you hadn't looked into a rental car for a day or two. We left early in the morning, hit Stonehenge and then went north to Oxford so just a little different route but there is some beautiful country side to see and it was nice to take our time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards