Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Ordering contacts online, help?

So I've exclusively worn contacts for a decade, but I've always purchased contacts through my eye doctor. Since H and I moved, I can't go to Walmart for an appointment anymore. I have my annual appointment on Monday, and I've heard this eye doctor is fairly expensive (I don't have insurance), so I'm looking at buying contacts online to hopefully get them cheaply. I wear Acuvue lenses.

In searching, I can't seem to find any online outlets that are cheaper than others. Walmart, Sams club, 1-800-contacts, CVS, visiondirect - all the ones on the first page of google results for "buy contacts online" have the exact same price.  1-800-contacts does offer a rebate though, so I'll go with that one if I can't find anything else.

So can anyone recommend an outlet that offers discounts or a rebate on contacts?

BTW: When you google "buy contacts online," the top result for what other people have searched is "buy contacts online without a prescription." I wish!

Re: NWR: Ordering contacts online, help?

• Options
    I ordered mine most recently through Walgreens online. I had a valpak coupon for 25% off, so that helped. Prior to that, I had always ordered through my eye doctor too.

• Options
    Vision Direct has been the cheapest for me, so far.  I've also used 1-800-Contacts.  Both are cheaper than ordering through my eye doctor.  I haven't ordered through my eye doctor since I switched from gas permeable lenses to soft lenses.

Google 'Vision Direct coupons' and you will usually find codes to use for 20-25% off.  I've used them before and they have worked.  They should also give a discount for automatic reordering.  

You can also check Ebates for coupons and cash back, if you use that.  Both offer cash back if you order through Ebates - 5% at 1-800 Contacts and 10% at Vision Direct.
  • Options
    I use 1-800-Contacts. My Air Optix are more expensive than other brands, but 1-800-Contacts almost always has a rebate available on them.
  • Options
    I found them cheaper at Shopko (which is a store in the Midwest kind of between Walmart and Target). They ship for free anywhere, though. They also have discounts for buying larger packages.
  • Options
    I found them cheaper at Shopko (which is a store in the Midwest kind of between Walmart and Target). They ship for free anywhere, though. They also have discounts for buying larger packages.
  • Options
    I use 1-800-Contacts. Like @CSunshine76 said they almost always have a rebate on my brand. Plus, I never wait until I need new ones to re-order. I check occasionally leading up to when I really need them to find the best price.

• Options
    ContactLensKing.com. They were quite a bit cheaper when I was pricing around a few months ago. I also switched from Acuvue to Biofinity. They are monthly disposables and they are the best. I seriously can't say enough good things about them.
  • Options
    I used to always buy my contacts from 1800contacts, but my eye doctor switched me to a different lens that was better, but cost more money.  So in talking with my co-worker she told me about discountcontacts.com.  There are almost always $5 off coupons, with free shipping.  They have been the cheapest I found by far.  
  • Options

I used 1-800-Contacts for the first time a few months ago and it was an awesome experience. My eye doctor didn't write down one of the measurements on the prescription I sent them, so I used the size from an old prescription I had. Their customer service was so incredibly helpful and fast, they had to call my doctor to verify the size and kept me informed the whole time. They also had a rebate for my brand so it was all around great.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Did you look into lens.com? Mine were cheaper on visiondirect.com but for H, his were cheaper on lens.com.

• Options
    I only buy my contacts at Costco... we've found that they're cheaper than going through the eye doctor. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Thanks guys.  So in researching, I discovered that Acuvue price fixes all their stuff, so no one can sell their contacts for cheaper than $110 for a box of 24 lenses.  :(   I might ask my eye doctor about trying something else. My lenses can be a bit gritty at times.

I don't want to cheap out and get something bad, but Air Optix are a bit cheaper, and that's what my mom wears.  And Air Optix are monthlies rather than bi-weeklies.
  • Options
    I use clearlycontacts. As long as you have your prescription with the measurements it's fine to order online. I'd check the return policy just in case they dont work out for whatever reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards