Chit Chat
Options

If your SO were playing in the Super Bowl and you were going into labor

paperpusherpaperpusher member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Chit Chat
If your SO were playing in the Super Bowl and you were going into labor would you...
Anniversary

If your SO were playing in the Super Bowl and you were going into labor 72 votes

Let him go play
84% 61 votes
Make him come with you too the hospital
15% 11 votes

Re: If your SO were playing in the Super Bowl and you were going into labor

• Options
    I like @lyndausvi's thought process.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    First game of the baseball season, I'd want him in the delivery room.

Anything post season, you go to your thing - I got this. Just get your ass back here right after the game, no playing champagne shower in the locker room or going to Disney World.
    This.  But I would tell him to have fun with the champagne spraying because that just looks like a hell of a good time.

With football, however, unless it is a pre-season game I wouldn't be "making" my SO miss any game since there aren't hundreds of games to be played.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I should add I can't imagine asking my SO to miss the biggest game of their career.  A lot of players have been playing since they were in single digits.    Out of 32 teams only 18 have made it to the SB since 2000.  The odds are against them to even play.  I would never take that away from them as the change might not come their way again.

I have my sister and good friends to support me.  Dare I say they might even be more relaxing then my DH?  He can be kind-of intense, ya know?

I have  friend who was pregnant with her 3rd child when something happened to their business that required her husband to be OOT for the labor.  He had to go for the sake of their business or it would be ruined.    She said that labor was the most relaxing.  Her MIL and mom were there to comfort her.  Looking back her husband made the other labors more stressful.

Now that is not always the case, but sometimes I can see that happening.  For many years husbands were not around and women were in the comfort of other women.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I don't think I would even tell him I'm in labor until after the game. I would want him to play the big game and have his head in it 100%.  There would be too many people depending on him to play and the last thing he needs is to be conflicted and worried about me being in labor.  That just hurts his chances of winning, makes him miserable, and creates higher risk of injury for himself or others. I'll get through labor just fine, take lots of photos and maybe some video (no close up vag shots though) and he can celebrate with us after he's done with the game.

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Don't care what your job is, you helped make this you help support it.

MagicInk said. If I have to be there, so does the daddy. OR ELSE: lolo883. I will "let" myself and my new baby out the door if my SO can't be bothered with us. 

But I also don't want to be having a family with someone who is absent a lot. FI is gone at work constantly, and I told him he needs a new job that keeps him home before I pop out kids. I refuse to do it by myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I don't really consider it my position to "let" or "make" my H do anything. I'd wish he could be there, but realize that's the risk you take when you a) marry a pro athlete and b) get pregnant 9 months before the championship. Thankfully I've done neither of those things. :)
    What!?! Mr. Lolo isn't playing in the Superbowl this year? But @jenna8984 to root for the Pats because they had the hottest wife. If Mr. Lolo doesn't play for the pats....
  • Options
    I would need DH's support.

I understand that his job is important, it is. But if he were to leave me then I'd feel completely abandoned. No amount of logic could fix that for me.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I wonder if a woman who played in, lets say the WNBA, were going to be in their version of the Superbowl (omg I'm bad at sports. Championships? Is that right?) and her husband was about to go into surgery....what would people think if she didn't skip the game to go hold his hand during surgery?

Frankly I'm with @lyndausvi, go play in the Superbowl, it's a big deal, and frankly I don't want you whine about this in a year when your team isn't playing the Superbowl.

But, I think our society still very much says "If a man has a big important special job, that might mean he won't be able to be there for all the family stuff and that's ok, because he has this job" where as if it's a female with a big important special job we say "Well why'd you even have a family if you don't ever plan to be with them". Men can be fathers, and husbands, and good at their jobs and no one bothers them about work/life balance. A woman even says the word nanny and she's a selfish bitch who has no business having kids at all. 

Yeah, I turned it into a feminist rant. Look at the gif. That's kind of my thing.
    I can't comment on what the rest of society would think, but I am the breadwinner (by a lot) for us- and DH and I had a conflict like that and his response was to tell me to go, no question.

• Options
    larrygaga said:

MagicInk said. If I have to be there, so does the daddy. OR ELSE: lolo883. I will "let" myself and my new baby out the door if my SO can't be bothered with us. 

But I also don't want to be having a family with someone who is absent a lot. FI is gone at work constantly, and I told him he needs a new job that keeps him home before I pop out kids. I refuse to do it by myself.

Pretty much this. We wouldn't try to get pregnant while H has a demanding job.

Also, I think I would let him make the decision. I think either way would be difficult, but I know there would be resentment if I chose for him.

Anniversary

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    I don't really consider it my position to "let" or "make" my H do anything. I'd wish he could be there, but realize that's the risk you take when you a) marry a pro athlete and b) get pregnant 9 months before the championship. Thankfully I've done neither of those things. :)
    What!?! Mr. Lolo isn't playing in the Superbowl this year? But @jenna8984 to root for the Pats because they had the hottest wife. If Mr. Lolo doesn't play for the pats....
    You're right; you got me. I'm not really JLaw.

• Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    penguin44 said:
    larrygaga said:

Pretty much this. We wouldn't try to get pregnant while H has a demanding job.

Also, I think I would let him make the decision. I think either way would be difficult, but I know there would be resentment if I chose for him.

Agree with this. I forgot to mention in my original reply that it's a 2 way street- both parents need to be smart about family planning. The more I think about it, if I were in this position I would never be trying to get pregnant when I knew his job would be at a demanding point in the first place!

Formerly martha1818

• Options

My parents best friends, the husband was the biggest Pats fan ever. He has season tickets and NEVER missed going to the game. The wife went into labor the day before the championship and he had tickets. It was like back in the 80's when we hadn't even been good for 40 years, so it was a much bigger deal than it is now with Brady. He gave them up to be at the hospital.

I think in that case it was the right decision because he was just a fan. But a player? No way, you dream about that your entire life and the opportunity will 95% never come again.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure your H would not be playing football much longer if he was a starter and didn't play in the Super Bowl even because of something so important like a birth. A friend of mine is a professional football player and has missed a game when his wife had one of their babies. But it was not the Super Bowl.  
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    For me it's not about him being a man, the bread winner or having a job keeps him busy. I'd feel the same way if I was having a child with a woman.

If our kid or I are not in danger of dying, then I want him to go play in the Super Bowl bc I don't want him to resent not being there. If I'm dying I would expect he would choose me over the game, bc that's the type of person he is.

If I had one opportunity to compete/work at something (ie Superbowl) I had worked my whole life for that I might never have the opportunity to do again, I wouldn't want to risk resenting my spouse if I missed it.

I get there's the risk that I could die during childbirth, but it's not likely - it's more likely that everything would go fine and my SO would be with us as soon as they could be.

If it was more important for me to have my SO present at the birth, I would try and time getting pregnant so the birth did not occur during the posts season in this example.

Women give birth all the time to babies while the father is in the military and they aren't present.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    He'd be playing - although frankly I'd probably have to lie for it to happen. Or either convince him that he won't make it before Baby Sweetie comes anyway. 

I would WANT him there. No doubt about it. But the financial rewards for him playing are high enough that Baby Sweetie could be set for their entire life, so there's no way I could let that pass. Plus - it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. If he's playing in the Super Bowl, he's probably played since he was six or seven (maybe even earlier) and it's been a dream of his ever since he was younger than that, so no - there's no way I'm letting him miss it on account of a messy gross thing that I might not even be conscious for in the first place, and in the second place if I AM conscious (and probably even if I'm not) I'll be a hot damn mess.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    This is a really interesting hypothetical.  I think I would lean towards telling him to play--although I can see both sides of the argument, being hyperdedicated to your job is part of the package when you sign up for something like the NFL.  Here's a question, though--does your answer change if the player/father has been to and won the Superbowl before, e.g. most of this Seahawks team or Tom Brady?  Also, does your answer change depending on whether the player is the star of the team--again e.g. Tom Brady--or a role player making league minimum?  What about a second string quarterback or someone else who's likely not even going to get on the field during the game?
  • Options
    I voted for him to go play but its because I'm a seahawks fan and its Richard Sherman ha. But if this was  I would tell him to go play. He is providing for our family so I know he is supporting me. I don't have to worry about this because V doesn't like sports ha
  • Options
    This is a really interesting hypothetical.  I think I would lean towards telling him to play--although I can see both sides of the argument, being hyperdedicated to your job is part of the package when you sign up for something like the NFL.  Here's a question, though--does your answer change if the player/father has been to and won the Superbowl before, e.g. most of this Seahawks team or Tom Brady?  Also, does your answer change depending on whether the player is the star of the team--again e.g. Tom Brady--or a role player making league minimum?  What about a second string quarterback or someone else who's likely not even going to get on the field during the game?
    Second string quarterbacks are pretty damn important if the starter gets hurt.

• Options
    Absolutely.  But unless the starting quarterback gets hurt or the game is a complete and total blowout and the coach wants to get everyone field time, the chances of a second string quarterback actually playing in the Superbowl are pretty darn low.  Essentially, there's a 90% chance that you're missing the birth of your child to stand on the sidelines for three hours and help pour Gatorade on the coach if you're lucky.
  • Options
    Absolutely.  But unless the starting quarterback gets hurt or the game is a complete and total blowout and the coach wants to get everyone field time, the chances of a second string quarterback actually playing in the Superbowl are pretty darn low.  Essentially, there's a 90% chance that you're missing the birth of your child to stand on the sidelines for three hours and help pour Gatorade on the coach if you're lucky.
    Or be there in case your are needed and your a part of the team that is playing in the Super Bowl - the culmination of hard work and dedication of your life's work. If you worked your whole life for that, even if it meant standing on the sidelines just in case - would you not want to be there? Can you honestly say you wouldn't regret not being there a tiny bit?

Not to mention plenty of women are in labor for 12 or more hours - he could possibly be at both...or skip he Super Bowl just to have the baby take 20 hours and he could have been at both events.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards