Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Darn Health Insurance, Rant

So I received a letter this weekend stating that my OB-GYN was no longer covered under my health insurance and that this was effective December 20, 2014.  Umm, thanks for letting me know in a timely manner.

But now I have to find another OB-GYN that I'm comfortable with.  DH and I were planning on TTC right after our 1 year anniversary in April and she was fully aware and had already set some things in motion for us.  I had been going to her partner for 15 years and then her when she took over the practice.  This royally sucks!

Rant over.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Darn Health Insurance, Rant

• Options
    That sucks. Is there a way to change insurance carriers, like go on yours instead of your husband's or vice versa?

• Options
    Boo! I hate changing doctors but I especially wouldn't want to change OB-GYNs right before I want to TTC. Fingers crossed you find someone you love even more!

• Options
    That sucks. Is there a way to change insurance carriers, like go on yours instead of your husband's or vice versa?
    Our open enrollments are different.  Mine is in January and his in May so essentially for about 6 or 7 months I'd have double the insurance.  And we did talk about it, but to put me on his, its going to cost way to much money out of his paycheck.  But on the plus, its cheaper to add a child to his plan than a spouse LOL.
    Anniversary

• Options
    ohmrs2014 said:
    Our open enrollments are different.  Mine is in January and his in May so essentially for about 6 or 7 months I'd have double the insurance.  And we did talk about it, but to put me on his, its going to cost way to much money out of his paycheck.  But on the plus, its cheaper to add a child to his plan than a spouse LOL.

Just an fyi if you did want to switch to his in May you wouldn't have to have double coverage.  Most health plans (you would want to check with yours) allow for someone to drop coverage due to joining during a spouse's open enrollment.  You typically can't use spouse's open enrollment to join yours outside of open enrollment but you can use it to drop your coverage.  Sounds like it is a moot point though since it is expensive.

Hope you can find a doc you like.  Maybe your current one has some recommendations for other offices? Definitely worth the ask.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    ohmrs2014 said:

Just an fyi if you did want to switch to his in May you wouldn't have to have double coverage.  Most health plans (you would want to check with yours) allow for someone to drop coverage due to joining during a spouse's open enrollment.  You typically can't use spouse's open enrollment to join yours outside of open enrollment but you can use it to drop your coverage.  Sounds like it is a moot point though since it is expensive.

Hope you can find a doc you like.  Maybe your current one has some recommendations for other offices? Definitely worth the ask.

Good to know JIC!  Thanks!!
    Anniversary

• Options

You should try calling the doctor's office.  Explain the situation and see what happens.  They may give you some recommendations for a new doctor with the new insurance.  I think most doctor's realize the insurance side of their business can change their patient rosters.  Or if they realize they will loose a lot of potential patients, they may work to get added back to the insurance that dropped them.

I have changed Dentists like crazy over the past 10 years, due to my dental insurance changing.  I've been lucky that my doctor's haven't changed.

Can you carry your insurance until May, then drop it to be soley on H's?  H & I have different open enrollments too.  He was on my insurance when we first married.  But my plan changed so drastically one year that we were able to switch to his insurance before their open enrollment period because my plan change constitued as a change of life event.  It could be something worth looking into.

• Options
    Definitely call them - I once got a notice that my doctor was no longer in network, when it was a paperwork error and he was still in network. Yours may very well not be covered anymore, but definitely find out for sure before making any changes.
  • Options
    Definitely call them - I once got a notice that my doctor was no longer in network, when it was a paperwork error and he was still in network. Yours may very well not be covered anymore, but definitely find out for sure before making any changes.

^^ This. I work for a health insurance broker and it seems like the provider records at insurance companies are never accurate. I would verify both with your doctor and the insurance company before doing any drastic. And I echo PPs in asking for recommendations for other OB-GYNs before blindly picking a new one - I don't even have one because I'm so hesitant to just start going to someone random since my old doctor quit :(

• Options
    That totally sucks!

Not sure what part of Jersey you're from but I love my dr and the other 2 drs in the practice.

I'd be happy to send you their info.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto PP- I don't know where in Jersey you are, but I love Lifeline Medical in Springfield, NJ.  Very, very nice, efficient office.  

Good luck!
  • Options

^^ This. I work for a health insurance broker and it seems like the provider records at insurance companies are never accurate. I would verify both with your doctor and the insurance company before doing any drastic. And I echo PPs in asking for recommendations for other OB-GYNs before blindly picking a new one - I don't even have one because I'm so hesitant to just start going to someone random since my old doctor quit :(

I did call them and yes, its true.  She doesn't take it anymore.  But her partner doctor does, but I'm not sure if I want to see him.  While my original Gyno was a male, I was only comfortable with him because my mom had been going to him for so long.
    Anniversary

• Options
    That totally sucks!

Not sure what part of Jersey you're from but I love my dr and the other 2 drs in the practice.

I live in Hudson County but I will travel depending on the location and their hours.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Have you checked what it would cost for out-of-network or cash with your current doc?  My mom had a similar situation where her doctor dropped from her insurance.  The fees for cash pay office visits was low enough that she decided to just pay out of pocket to keep her doc instead of finding a new one. And other doctors in that office were covered, so if it was anything more expensive needed (like testing), she would see the other doc for those appointments, then follow up with her doc to review the test results.

• Options
    ohmrs2014 said:
    That totally sucks!

I live in Hudson County but I will travel depending on the location and their hours.

They're in Essex county. I'll PM you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards