Wedding Woes

Randoms: little kids are weird

I mentioned in one of the other threads that I was at DD's school for lunch duty.  Every Friday, a pair of parents comes in to help each class at lunch so their teachers can sit down and eat like normal human beings, instead of spending their 20 minutes herding kids through the line, opening milk cartons, and wiping up spills. 

This one kid in Maddie's class was so funny, in a "I'd be annoyed if I were in your class, but right now you are cracking me up" kind of way.  I was making the rounds and he said "Excuse me, Wooz's mom?"  So I went over, thinking that he needed help with something.  Nope.  He proceeded to tell me how quiet his table neighbor is, and how she never talks to him, and after a little while I started to think maybe she just couldn't get a word in edgewise.  The next time he called me over, I had an idea of what to expect, and sure enough, he informed me that Jimmy has called him "every bad word there is."  I strongly suspect he doesn't even know all the really bad words, but w/e.  So I asked how that made him feel, which he ignored in favor of telling me "You know what else?  He rushes through the Pledge every single morning and doesn't finish with the rest of us!"  Dude, I was that kid, you're not getting any sympathy from me.  So when I type it out, it sounds more annoying than it was, it was more that his intensity about this stuff was funny.  Check with me in ten years and see how much anyone cares about the Pledge of Allegiance, kid.

DS was also killing me last night.  He loooooooooves being outside.  And whenever we get home from school, he wants to go for a walk right.then.  And it's never enough for him.  No matter how long we stay out, he cries when we go in.  So yesterday, I finally had to pick him up and carry him inside, because I had to start dinner.  He stood by the door to the garage and raged, occasionally pounding his little fists against the door.  After about five minutes, he peeked around the corner to make sure I was still there, then resumed his tantrum.  And about three minutes after that, he peeked again, looked at me pitifully, and when I offered a hug, he ran to me and let me hug him for a really long time.  It's hard being 1-1/2, y'all. 

Re: Randoms: little kids are weird

• Heffalump said:

DS was also killing me last night.  He loooooooooves being outside.  And whenever we get home from school, he wants to go for a walk right.then.  And it's never enough for him.  No matter how long we stay out, he cries when we go in.  So yesterday, I finally had to pick him up and carry him inside, because I had to start dinner.  He stood by the door to the garage and raged, occasionally pounding his little fists against the door.  After about five minutes, he peeked around the corner to make sure I was still there, then resumed his tantrum.  And about three minutes after that, he peeked again, looked at me pitifully, and when I offered a hug, he ran to me and let me hug him for a really long time.  It's hard being 1-1/2, y'all. 

That's 100% DefConn. 
  • DD2 also does the peeking thing.
  • Heffa, sometimes I feel like our children are kindred souls. DD is like your DS. We get home, I open the door for the dogs and if I don't let her out to play outside she stands at the sliding door squawking and hollering. Her tantrums are similar. The second she knows she's in trouble or that she's not getting her way...that lower lip goes down. She waits for the reaction and then launches into tears. If she's not being held, she will lay herself flat on the ground. If she doesn't get the reaction she wants, she'll go back to the lower lip and sad face. Eventually, she just wants a hug. But she is sort of getting to be a master manipulator because DH cannot stay strong against her sad faces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards