Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Catholic mass vs. Catholic Ceremony

Does anyone know the big difference between a Catholic church mass vs. just the ceremony? I asked the priest but didn't get the answer I was looking for. He told me a ceremony would be good if we weren't that religious, but then gave us some Catholic guilt which stopped me from asking my real question-what parts are cut out in the ceremony and how long is the ceremony vs. the mass? My FI is not religious at all and I go to church on holidays so we aren't really that into a mass. I know half my family would like the shorter ceremony and the other would like the full mass. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is included in the ceremony.

Thanks!

Re: Catholic mass vs. Catholic Ceremony

• Options
    My son and DIL had a Catholic Ceremony instead of the full mass.  The biggest difference is that communion is not served unless it's a mass, although my Catholic friends here can elaborate more on that for me.

My DIL and son decided that since our family are Presbyterian, it was not "fair" to us to have a whole component of the wedding service that over half their guests could not participate in.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I am catholic and having a catholic ceremony. It was explained to me that the only real difference is that there is no communion. no communion though means less music.
  • Options

The only real difference is that there is no communion.  I got married in June and we chose to have a full mass.  H and I are not super religious but I really wanted the traditional aspect in the ceremony since we were have such a non traditional reception. 

Our mass took 45 mins from start to finish.  And I swear it flew by.  There was not as much singing as in a regular sunday mass and it was no where near as long as let's say easter or xmas mass. 

Remember that not everyone at your wedding will be receiving communion anyway so its not like you will be waiting on 400 people to move through the line. 

Looking back on it I am definitely glad that we chose to go with the full mass.  My whole wedding day went so quickly and it was nice to sort of extend the memories. 

I am sure what ever you choose will be perfect for you and you FI
    GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we got a guide during our marriage prep with the priest for just the ceremony (my fiance is not catholic) which tells us the exact order for a ceremony only.  our priest didn't give us a choice, but the book says you can have anywhere from one to three readings.  no communion but we still have lots of singing. 

• Options
    The short ceremony cuts out communion and everything surrounding it.  If you are familiar with a mass, basically it's the liturgy of the word, the homily, then vows, skip to the end.  You skip everything from bringing up the gifts to communion.  It cuts about 10-15 mins.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholic-mass-vs-catholic-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4c3f378a-9dbd-4554-b72d-bb966f78599fPost:bd5eece0-3a8e-4fdf-a977-d657d5b8cc10">Re: Catholic mass vs. Catholic Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]The short ceremony cuts out communion and everything surrounding it.  If you are familiar with a mass, basically it's the liturgy of the word, the homily, then vows, skip to the end.  You skip everything from bringing up the gifts to communion.  It cuts about 10-15 mins.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I agree with this except that I would add that if your fiance is not Catholic, I would skip the mass. The Eucharist is supposed to united the two of you and if one of you cannot receive, it becomes a sign, instead, of disunity.  Similarly, if both of you is Catholic, but haven't been practicing much in recent years, your might be a good chance for you to get back into it as adults. Good luck with your decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards