Wedding Woes

5-4 Marriage equality

Re: 5-4 Marriage equality

• I had to go hug the secretary b/c I needed the outlet.  I still haven't really processed it that this is finally over.  I have so many thoughts and feels.

Oh and here is Alito's dissent:

The Chief Justice has the principal dissent, which is 31 pages long. Toward the end of it, he says, "If you are among the many Americans--of whatever sexual orientation--who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not Celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

@Barbie, your Pride is going to be insane.
  • From the majority opinion (which Kennedy wrote):

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."

Freaking beautiful.  Honestly a little teary reading that.
  • I cannot stop laughing at the dissent opinions.  They are so ridiculous:

""If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: ‘The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,’ I would hide my head in a bag. " ~Scalia.  I"ll pay for the bag, no big deal, does it have to be designer?

And this BULLSHIT from Thomas

• I'm staying off of Facebook today as a precautionary measure to protect my blood pressure. Even though I live in a state that (shockingly, and despite our pin-headed governor's attempts to undermine it) already had the right to marry, we still have enough backwards rednecks that my feed today would include more angry BS than I can politely bear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards