Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Not using STD but need to let a few people know

I am not planning on sending out STD because most of the guest list is family and have already booked hotel rooms so I feel that it would be a waste (both environmentally and financially). I do have a few friends that would not assume that they are invited and would be coming from out of town. Would it be acceptable to send them a facebook message with the wedding website so they could check on hotel and flights if they are able to come? I know facebook wedding stuff is super tacky but I don't want to buy 100 STD but I also want them to be able to plan ahead if they can come or not.

Re: Not using STD but need to let a few people know

• Options
    STDs are not required.  You can let your guests know via word of mouth or an email.

Just remember, once you start giving them a save-the-date (verbally, email or formally) you still must invite them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'd call or email, unless you usually FB message them since those can get lost/ignored pretty easily.
  • Options
    You can tell them through word-of-mouth, email, or Facebook, although I wouldn't use Facebook unless you don't communicate with them by any other channel.
  • Options
    I wouldn't use facebook. 

Just email them a link with your wedding website and let them know they'll be invited. You could make an email STD if you really wanted, but a simple email is just fine. 
  • Options
    JBB28 said:
    I am not planning on sending out STD because most of the guest list is family and have already booked hotel rooms so I feel that it would be a waste (both environmentally and financially). I do have a few friends that would not assume that they are invited and would be coming from out of town. Would it be acceptable to send them a facebook message with the wedding website so they could check on hotel and flights if they are able to come? I know facebook wedding stuff is super tacky but I don't want to buy 100 STD but I also want them to be able to plan ahead if they can come or not.
    Hey friend, I just wanted to let you know we picked our wedding date and venue.  We're getting married on the eleventeenth of Octember in Mytown.  Just letting you know so you can save the date.  Squeeee!!!
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nothing wrong with verbally/ electronically telling guests about your date.

We did this as well, as our wedding required about half of our invited guests to travel. I'm not 100% into STDs, so we didn't do them. Just verbally told our friends, "Hey Susy! We picked our wedding date- it's X/Y/Z. We hope you can come!"
  • Options
    We didn't send out STD's either. Once we set a date, we just texted or talked to our family and close friends so they'd know when it was.
  • Options
    I just want to clarify that I hope by "Facebook message" you mean a private message to each individual. It would be tacky to do any of the following:
    - post your wedding date and plan on your wall
    - post your wedding date and plan on your friend's wall
    - send a mass-message to multiple people through Facebook

I spread word of mouth for our wedding in a few different ways, depending on how I usually communicated with each specific individual - some people I told by phone, some by text, some by email, and some by Facebook message.
  • Options
    I've gotten a few email save-the-dates over the past couple years. Kinda like an evite, but a save-the-date. I assume it's free and pretty simple to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards