Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals Jamaican honeymoon July 2016?

my FH and I are looking at the sandals resorts in Jamaica for next July. does anyone have any experience with the resorts and that time of the year? This will be our first vacation together and his first time out of the country. 

Re: Sandals Jamaican honeymoon July 2016?

• I've got friends who went to Sandals Whitehouse in the beginning of August (Sorry it's not July) and they absolutely loved it.  In fact, they loved it so much they are going to check out the new Sandals Ochi around the same time of year.  My friend's husband complained a little about the heat...she thought it was great.  They didn't have any bad weather, and they enjoyed the foot and the nightly entertainment. 

My FI and I are also going to Whitehouse for our honeymoon, but we will be going in the beginning of Sept. which is a little risky because of the rainy/hurricane season.  We are hoping for the best though!

• July is very hot and humid.  Winter is their main season.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios in Jamaica for our honeymoon in October. It was super affordable and we're really excited about it. If I remember I can give a review when we get back. We were considering doing the stay at one play at 3 option they have at Montego Bay but after looking more this one had almost as many restaurants alone and we're excited about the mountain views and garden.

My aunt told me not to worry about hurricane season. Her and my Uncle had been cautioned against Jamaica for their honeymoon because of hurricane season and were told to go to Bermuda instead. Well Bermuda ended up with the hurricane the week they were there and Jamaica would have been in the clear... Oh well. Either way it's your honeymoon so I'm sure it'll be fun regardless of weather!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios in Jamaica for our honeymoon in October. It was super affordable and we're really excited about it. If I remember I can give a review when we get back. We were considering doing the stay at one play at 3 option they have at Montego Bay but after looking more this one had almost as many restaurants alone and we're excited about the mountain views and garden.

My aunt told me not to worry about hurricane season. Her and my Uncle had been cautioned against Jamaica for their honeymoon because of hurricane season and were told to go to Bermuda instead. Well Bermuda ended up with the hurricane the week they were there and Jamaica would have been in the clear... Oh well. Either way it's your honeymoon so I'm sure it'll be fun regardless of weather!

That sucks! Bermuda is also in the hurricane belt, so they are just as likely to get hit as Jamaica!

I agree about not worrying about hurricane season. Just buy a trip protection plan when purchasing your package.

• I've heard that it is hot and can be humid there in July, but we watched the weather last month (I know it's different every year) but for the most part the heat and humidity combined, so the heat index was cooler in Jamaica than it was where we live! Plus we both work outside, so as long as it is not worse than here, I am not too worried about that. 

We are both college students and will be back in school in August, we are getting Married July 9th, so if we don't our honeymoon then, we will not be able too until Christmas break. We live almost 8 hours from our family-so break are spent catching up.. plus he is in the Marine Reserves and July is the only month where he does not have drill so they can't change it the week before we leave and he cannot go :) haha 

I wish we could go in the fall or winter.. but there is just no way we can with both being in college and being so far from family.. 
  • engagedhamstermom said:
    We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios in Jamaica for our honeymoon in October. It was super affordable and we're really excited about it. If I remember I can give a review when we get back. We were considering doing the stay at one play at 3 option they have at Montego Bay but after looking more this one had almost as many restaurants alone and we're excited about the mountain views and garden.

We were thinking about staying at the Royal Caribbean because of the location near the airport and the stay at 1 play at 3. But since we have never been on any sort of vacation together, let alone an all inclusive resort in Jamaica.. we didn't know what resorts were better than others or what seemed to be everyone's favorites.
  • varner2b2015 I just booked my May 2016 wedding at Sandals Whitehouse. When you get back please post about it! :) I have seen a few not so good reviews and would love to know what you thought!

Thanks!
  • @ambartlett I will definitely post for you!  So far we've had two sets of friends go, and both loved it.  Leaving for Jamaica on Sept. 6th!!!
  • Thank you. I appreciate it! I hope you enjoy your day!!!! :)
  • Hey @ambartlett Just got back from Sandals Whitehouse, and I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

1.  I loved it!  It was absolutely gorgeous, and I think the reviews don't do the place justice. 

2.  It is, however, partly what you make it.  If you go with an open mind just looking to enjoy some time with your husband/wife then you will have a blast!  If you go with high expectations and a sense of entitlement, you will always find something to complain about. 

3.  The ride to the resort is not as bad as they make it out to be.  Yes it is rough.  However, I get carsick and I was too busy looking out the windows to even think about feeling sick.  Parts of it have been paved recently which is nice.  We had good drivers both times.

4.  There was a little construction going on in the French Quarters at the time, but we were in the Dutch building and it didn't impact us in the least. 

5.  The beach really is beautiful.  Also, you are much less likely to step on a sea urchin if you stay within the sectioned off swimming areas.  Bring water shoes!!!  You may need them more than you think, especially if you do an excursion.

6.  The food was great.  We loved the pizza at Giuseppe's and the steak at Neptunes.  Take advantage of the breakfast buffet at Bayside.  They are very good about asking for food allergies, which I have.  I loved the ice cream at the cafe.

7.  Get to know the entertainment staff and take advantage of all the crazy games and shows that they have.  Angelita aka Chocolate was no end of fun.  We had a blast.

8.  The rooms in spots could be considered a little dated I guess.  Once again, they were beautiful, and completely sufficient for our needs.  They were great about keeping our refrigerator restocked. 

9.  The pools are fantastic, the water is warm, and the spa was great!  If you have a spa credit, may I recommend a oceanside massage.  Such a relaxing experience.

10.  We did a kayaking excursion, and that ended up being a major trip highlight.  We kayaked through the jungle of the Great River and did ziplines. 

11.  All in all, we loved it and had a great time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards