Wedding Woes

First world problems- a small rant

The windows in this house are big- which is really nice because we have great views. But covering these suckers is a pain in my ass. Because of ceiling height, I can't do anything smaller than a 108" long curtain, and in some rooms, I need 4 panels to cover the window and look ok. I refuse to buy crappy curtains because this is our forever house and I don't want to just buy something to cover the window. But at like $100 a panel for certain styles I want, I just can't do it.

Right now, I've decided to go room by room in the decorating process and I think I'm just going to do DD's room first and get the curtains I want instead of trying to do 6 rooms at once.

I also need to Craigslist a bunch of stuff but our address doesn't always pull up correctly in Google Maps, etc. so it's a pain in the ass for people to find us. I don't feel like dealing with random people who can't find our house.

Re: First world problems- a small rant

• PMeg819 said:

I also need to Craigslist a bunch of stuff but our address doesn't always pull up correctly in Google Maps, etc. so it's a pain in the ass for people to find us. I don't feel like dealing with random people who can't find our house.
    On the plus side, it probably makes it harder for them to serial-kill you.  (Kidding.  I've successfully unloaded stuff on CL and lived to tell the tale.)
  • Heffalump said:
    On the plus side, it probably makes it harder for them to serial-kill you.  (Kidding.  I've successfully unloaded stuff on CL and lived to tell the tale.)
    ^or HAS she?
    For all we know, this is a CL murderer wearing a Heffalump skin suit.
  • GBCK said:
    Heffalump said:
    ^or HAS she?
    For all we know, this is a CL murderer wearing a Heffalump skin suit.
    You're next, Smarty Pants.
  • i also had this issue with window treatments. i just made my own. it was cheaper, even with buying yards and yards of blackout fabric.

no sewing, either -- i just used iron on tape.
  • i've been offloading my stuff on this local moms fb group. better than cl because i know they're local and i can just get them kicked out of the group if they flake out and don't show up.
  • Iron on tape?  Hmm.  My mom is going to help me make curtains once we get our addition done.  She just did my brothers and they are stunning.  I need to keep reminder her that he has a different budget.

I love my local b/s/t groups. 

• For as long as you'll likely have these window dressings - the $100 per panel is money well spent...  If you try to make something, you're going to spend around that or more for decent fabric, then the value of your time, etc.  Save up and make the "splurge" one room at a time!!! 
  • Check your local Buy Nothing FB group.
  • I may just make some. I don't even really need the black out shades, there are just certain fabrics and looks I want. I guess I could hoard some Joann's coupons and hit up the fabric outlet.
  • yeah, i needed the blackout lining for the weight. it helps keep the cold out here in the midwest, which is not a problem for you.
    i also wanted marimekko curtains, which only come in shower curtains and are not long enough.
  • hmonkey said:
    yeah, i needed the blackout lining for the weight. it helps keep the cold out here in the midwest, which is not a problem for you.
    i also wanted marimekko curtains, which only come in shower curtains and are not long enough.

In the kids' rooms Blackout lining is an absolute MUST!  Heck, even in our bedroom it's nice on the days I want to sleep in to not have the sun shining in... With our little guy it buys me at least an hour of sleep on a good day, but gosh dang that kid can wake up to even the tiniest of sunlight in a Frozen style "The sky's awake so I'm awake" Morning Lark style... 

• @hmonkey.  This gives me hope.  I am actually planning on trying to DIY some curtains for son's room.  I have been eyeing some fabric online.  I've found a few tutorials.  Any advice? Thanks. 

@Pmeg819. I am doing the same thing - going room by room.  Right now I'm working on son's room. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards