Wedding Woes

Intention and execution are at odds here

Dear Prudence, I just opened a 529 college savings account for my 5-week-old daughter. The website offers a handy link which any party can use to contribute. I want to post the link to Facebook, with the message: “Feel free to help my daughter go to school in lieu of giving gifts this year!” Maybe some people would impulse-donate or actually would prefer to give money to this account rather than buying us gifts we don’t need. My wife thinks this is “money-grubbing” and “gross.” I think college is expensive and if Great Aunt Moneybags impulse-donates $1,000, then it’s more than worth it. What do you think? —Not Made of Money

Re: Intention and execution are at odds here

• Seriously? No. You want to pay for your kid's college? Have at it. But I'm not paying for *my* kid's college. I'm certainly not giving in to your begging about it on Facebook. 

*unfriend* 
  • I have no issue if someone's like, "What can I get your kid for Christmas?" And you say, "Well, here's a list and also, we'll take donations to their 529. Let me know if you want the link." But soliciting it via FB? Hell no.
    ^^^ this. 

I'd probably let them know that's onboxious before I unfriended them. 
  • This is just gross.

Side note: when DS was born we set-up a Upromise account for him (which I'm pretty sure I have no way of logging into but whatever) and at the time they had a whole bunch of things to send to people to get them to link their accounts or whatever with UPromise so their money could go there. I think we got little postcards we could send to people, template emails, etc. Gross gross gross
  • No, no, no.  If someone asks sure, but nope.  Our 529 sends things you can fill out and give people to direct deposit, but that doesn't mean I give them out.  My brother gives cash every year.  I let them spend X amount then split the rest between Disney and 529. 

We have a Upromise account that I don't know how to get into either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards