Wedding Woes

Worst. Playdate. Ever.

And I am counting the one when Wooz was like 2-1/2 and that girl's mom kept saying she was on her way and then an hour later she was like "Sorry, I had to make a stop, I'm on my way now!" and we had her for like 5 hrs.  Worse than that.

Wooz's friend came over Saturday night for pizza and movies and popcorn--basically a slumber party without the sleeping over.  She arrived, all was well, they ate, they watched a movie, they went to the playroom, I started getting DS ready for bed.  DH made them popcorn and they watched a second movie in the playroom.

Her mom showed up 20 minutes late, and they live 5 minutes away, so I really don't understand that, but whatever.  From the time she arrived until she got her daughter out of my house,  A FULL HOUR PASSED.  60 earth minutes, y'all.  Since I've had my kids, I've dialed back my parent-judging somewhat, but this was the most judgeworthy sorry mess I've seen in a long time. 

Friend wouldn't come downstairs.  The mom just stood there like a dummy, talking about Hawaii or something.  10 minutes pass, I smile and say I'll go see if the girls need help with anything.  I reiterate that it's time to go, they say Friend will be right down.  5 more minutes pass, and then 10.  Friend starts chasing Wooz's kitten through the house.  I tell her not to chase the kitten, the mom stands there, smiling like her kid just split the atom or something.  Kid's shoes are still parked in my foyer.  I offer to get her coat, Friend takes the coat and runs off with it.  Mom stands there.

60 minutes of this fuckery, y'all.  Afterward, we told Wooz that after about three minutes of that, we'd be leaving even if we had to carry her out kicking and screaming.  40 minutes into these shenanigans, they woke DS.  And still, Dummy Mom is like "B, if you don't listen then you can't go to other friends' houses anymore."  Lady, I don't give a flying fuck about your other friends, it is after 10:00 and you and your kid need to get the fuck out of my house.  They finally left, we got the kids to sleep, and then DH and I stayed up and talked about the mom for another half hour, because really, WTF?

Worst. Playdate. Ever.

Re: Worst. Playdate. Ever.

• 60 earth minutes, y'all. Hee.

Yeah, she couldn't come over anymore. We could meet out, but no more time at la casa.

• Yeah, she couldn't come over anymore. We could meet out, but no more time at la casa.

Absosmurfly.  That was like point #2 on DH's and my postmortem.  The last time we got the girls together, it was at one of those Monkey Joe's-type places, and when it was time for DD to go to swim, we left.  Now I wonder if they closed the place down?
  • This is why I dread playdates. Most people that I've met have this lackadaisical attitude towards their kid's bedtimes and don't understand why/how my kid goes to bed at the same time every night. Through a lot of freaking hard work that I don't need undone because you are a shitty parent.

Okay, I just projected on your post. I get where you are coming from. I agree with you not to ever have that kid over again. Also, I'm with you if you want to TP their house.

• I'm sure she was running around for an hour trying to get her in the car.
  • This is why I dread playdates. Most people that I've met have this lackadaisical attitude towards their kid's bedtimes and don't understand why/how my kid goes to bed at the same time every night. Through a lot of freaking hard work that I don't need undone because you are a shitty parent.

Okay, I just projected on your post. I get where you are coming from. I agree with you not to ever have that kid over again. Also, I'm with you if you want to TP their house.

See, we've only done daytime playdates before, and aside from the one I referenced at the beginning of my OP, they were fine.  So clearly the evening one was a tactical error.  The girls have been begging for a sleepover, but Friend's Mom and I agreed that neither of them is really ready to spend the night at a friend's quite yet.  So we offered to do the next best thing.

httpmediatumblrcomtumblr_mdka4p1qoq1ryb0hdgif

• That is so infuriating.  What a nightmare.  Parents like that make me stabby.  It's like, "Do you realize every hates you and they're trying desperately, and likely failing, to not hate your kid too?"

And this is why I have NO DESIRE to have kids over, ever (except for a very select few).  DH, on the other hand, lived in the 'hang out' house to the point where, as a teenager, he and his sister both had friends who practically lived with them for weeks at a time.  So he wants our house to be that place, but he's never home...so nope.  Sorry, not sorry. 
  • This makes me so happy that I'm not a parent yet. Just sayin.

If that'd been me as a kid, my mom would have snatched me up so fast I wouldn't have known what hit me. Stuff like that did NOT fly in our house!

Of course, I also was disciplined as a child, so I respected my mom and wouldn't have behaved like that.

Poor you, Heffa.

• I think other mom needs to host the first sleepover - I mean you were practically there by 10pm, anyways. 

I'd have been dragging my kid out of the house by 5 minutes in. 
  • Holy shit!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Holy crap!   That's worse than a woman's goodbye in my family and we can stand at a door for a good 20 minutes.   DH and I know that leaving a party is a one hour job but that's also because we know the family dynamics and we need to run around and say goodbye.   

FFS mom.   No parents want to deal with that.   

My next tactic would be to put Wooz to divide and conquer with DH as long as DS was still unconscious: One parent puts Wooz to bed behind closed doors so the other can orchestrate the goodbye.   Some people just don't get it though. 

• I keep wanting to reply to this, but have no words.
  • :) Next time you and your husband put on your pj's, and start yawning.
  • This woman is just clueless. I can not imagine anyone thinking it is ok to be in someone's house at 10pm like that. Especially after you just hosted her daughter all night. Gather your kid and gtfo.
  • Yes, that's even better.
  • :) Next time you and your husband put on your pj's, and start yawning.
    LOL, I had already changed into my yoga pants, I was halfway there.  "Lady, I was wearing normal pants when you dropped her off.  Now look at me.  Take a hint."

I should have gone full-on pajamas with slippers and all.  Do people still put their hair in curlers?  I totally should have done that.

httpsfarm9staticflickrcom85328520336398_c9cabc75d5jpg

• Yes, rollers and face cream would have did the trick.
  • you should have used this mask - then you would look racist on top of it. 
    (it's an excellent mask, it just looks like you are in blackface - so yeah, not super appropriate. )

• MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited January 2016
  • "Honey, I'm itching again; It's time for you to rub that cream on me again."
  • Oh god that sounds AWFUL! Like @thefanciestbeckler said, this makes me happy H & I don't have kids yet. 

If there is a next time with this mom & kid, you & Mr. Heffalump should just turn off all the lights and go to bed - just leaving the mom standing in the dark at the bottom of the stairs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards