Wedding Woes

Videography: Nice to have or Need to Have?

Hello, Knotties! I'm just looking for some opinions on whether videography is a nice to have or need to have. We have two amazing photographers who will be with us and I'm 100% confident they will capture our day beautifully. I also know that everything passes in a whirlwind and some memories get lost in the shuffle (hence: the wish for a videographer). 

I know you get what you pay for, and in this instance we are looking at about $2,500-$3,500 for a videographer in our area. This is quite a chunk of money to us though. So my question: is it worth it to make room in the budget or is it an extra that's just nice to have? I'm just looking for some words of wisdom on other's experiences. 

Re: Videography: Nice to have or Need to Have?

• I bought a video camera and had a friend record the ceremony.  She was nice enough to bring the camera to the reception as well and caught things like the first dance and maybe the cake cutting.
    I would encourage you to do that, but $2500-3500 would be way too rich for my blood!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• It's just a nice to have. We skipped it and I don't regret it at all. Photos are enough. 
    I have my own personal feelings about being on video as a guest too. I avoid videographers like the plague at weddings. 

• We skipped a videographer.  We have our pics and memories from the day and it's enough for us.  It wasn't something we wanted to spend money on. 
  • I asked my cousin to do it for us.  He brought his video camera and recorded our ceremony and lots of the reception.  He even went around and had people record a message for us.

While it's really just nice to have, I'm really glad we have ours.  It's not like we watch it all the time (haven't seen it in years) but I think our kids will enjoy it and it is fun to look at it once in a while.

We couldn't have paid 2500-3500 for it at the time though.
  • Our DJs threw in "free" videography at the reception if they could use some of the footage as a promotional tool for their business. I think we maybe watched the video once. 

I would rather put the $2500-3500 towards an awesome honeymoon or anniversary trip. (Provided you're not already saving for something big like a home.)
  • I'm also another vote for skipping.  I have two kids, and two discs of ultrasound video that we got each time.  And we've never watched them.  If I haven't watched those, I for sure wouldn't watch our wedding video.  No regrets.
  • We found a rather inexpensive company to do video it wasn't great we got what we paid for.  It did show us somethings that photographer could never capture ( H's 96 year old grandma standing at her table with her walker doing the hand motions to Shout).  We've watched it once though.  I'm glad we have it though.

Anniversary

• I feel the same way! Weddings are so expensive. So that takes away from having access to what's important IMO (I.e video). But, I've been to so many of my close friends' and family weddings and there were always moments like "Does someone have that on video?" 

Im getting married in July and don't have the budget for it. I found something on Pinterest called Wedding Mix. I feel like it'll be worth spending a few hundred dollars on vs a few grand for a total professional videographer; Just to capture those "I wish I had that on tape" moments. 

If if anyone has any experience with Wedding Mix, please share. I'd personally like to know if you liked it. 
  • Meh. I have a good friend who majored in communications (film), has a camera, and a tripod. No access to editing equipment or anything, but we don't need it. He'll film the ceremony, spotlight dances, and cake cutting, and I'm sure we'll watch it once but never again. 

We're only having him do it because he insisted though. He was pretty scandalized when we told him we were skipping it, and told us we pretty much have no choice in the matter. 
  • I wish I had a friend like that. I'm gonna go with WeddingMix. Similar concept. I think it will work out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards