Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

RSVP with Song Request?

So I've seen this idea floating around of adding a line somewhere on the RSVP card where guests can suggest a song to be played at the reception. I kind of like the idea, because I think a lot of our friends are really into music and dancing, and it would be a sort of nice way to honor our guests by playing a song they like. Wanted to run the idea by you all, though, to see if I'm off my rocker here. Anybody done this, and with any success?

My feeling is that we are making our own playlist (hooking up a laptop to speakers), so it might be practical to get any special requests ahead of time since we wouldn't necessarily be able to do so on the spot. 

My only concern at the moment would be not wanting to word something seems to promise we'll play their request -- but we would love suggestions. There will be kids at the reception, so I'd like to reserve the right to veto any music requests that might not be family friendly (I don't anticipate that this would be a big concern, but still, I'd rather have my bases covered). 

Is asking for song requests an acceptable thing to do in the first place? And if so, how do I word it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: RSVP with Song Request?

• My sister did this, I can ask her for her exact wording but I think the "yes" option said "Yes, can't wait to get the party started" then had a line that said song suggestions? Her and he H are big dance partiers and into music so it fit them. 

She he had a TON of suggestions and gave them to the DJ to incorporate but you could absolutely DIY it and create a playlist. It got a lot of our older family up dancing since they're favorites were played. I thought it was a really fun idea. 
  • My cousin did this. I thought it was a cool idea. I forget the exact wording she used. Maybe something like "This song will get me on the dance floor". 
  • edited February 2016
    Here are some I like:
    Casual style: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/45880489928619308/

A tad more traditional:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244883298463525783/

Quirky: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/101682904059610043/

I think this is a really great idea when you don't have a DJ. It'll take so much guesswork out of creating your playlist. Have fun! 

Edit: Links??

• Could be fun!
  • H's cousin did this on her invitations. I thought it was a great idea but I don't know that they actually played anything that anyone suggested. It was a lot of very, very stereotypical, family-friendly wedding music that I find hard to believe was actually requested by guests, with the exception of one Luke Bryan song. My suggestion is that if you're going to ask guests to suggest songs, try to play them (as long as they're appropriate in the context of your guest list), or your guests will wonder why you even asked.
  • H's cousin did this on her invitations. I thought it was a great idea but I don't know that they actually played anything that anyone suggested. It was a lot of very, very stereotypical, family-friendly wedding music that I find hard to believe was actually requested by guests, with the exception of one Luke Bryan song. My suggestion is that if you're going to ask guests to suggest songs, try to play them (as long as they're appropriate in the context of your guest list), or your guests will wonder why you even asked.
    I definitely agree with that. My sister was super good about remember who requested what do when the songs came on she made sure to dance with that person. She obviously couldn't play them all, but she did do a lot of them.  She also told me that a lot of the slower songs she played were things some of the older family members requested and things she never would have thought of on her own. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards