Wedding Woes

Should I share my inside info?

Dear Prudence,
I work at a company with around 30 other people. We’ve never had a reason to suspect we’re doing anything other than fine, but recently, while helping my boss fix her computer server, I accidentally discovered emails that reveal in no uncertain terms that the company is doing very, very badly, and that a lot of us are in danger of being laid off. I should not have seen that information, and I suspect my boss planned on either telling us sometime in the future or just hoping the company can turn it around. Do I have a moral obligation to warn my co-workers that their jobs may be in jeopardy?

—Knows Too Much

Re: Should I share my inside info?

• I agree with Addie. This is a tough one. If I were friends with my coworkers, this would be super hard but I know shutting my mouth would be the right thing to do.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Time to get that resume out.  

• edited March 2016
    I totally get the struggle. Our bank just went through a merger and there have been lots of rumors flying around about layoffs, etc. most of which turned out to be true. But really her best bet is to put a plan in place for herself and keep the information to herself. That's an extremely hard thing to do, but it's the right thing to do.

ETA words

• I would have a hard time not telling the co-workers I was closest to. I would probably let them know I was updating my resume and hint they should do the same.
  • If the company is doing that badly, I would think that employees have some idea that business is not going super well.  I would definitely start preparing myself for possible lay-off, but I'd avoid telling others, even though it would be so hard to keep secret.  But, it was confidential information that was accidentally seen, not really your place to spread the news.  If anything, I may have a chat with the boss (depending on my relationship with them) and let them know I saw the e-mail and wanted to find out how what the situation really is. 

• There may be a legal issue with telling others confidential info accidentally seen as well. At the very least, a layoff with a nice severance package & unemployment can turn into a firing with cause very quickly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards