Wedding Woes

This is why there should be co-executors

Dear Prudence,
After my mother died in 2011, paying out the final $80K of her estate to me and three siblings (as explained by my brother, the executor) was delayed in case there were late bills and/or taxes that needed to be paid. No problem—made sense. Now, though, the executor-brother, after writing in October to say the money was ready to be disbursed, has only sent a payment to one sibling (who had frequently asked him about it). I’ve had no previous reason to distrust him, but when I asked a month ago, he claimed he’d been working dawn to dusk six days a week (he’s self-employed) and had been unable to get to the post office.

He’s also ignored a respectful email from the other unpaid sibling, who, like me, is beginning to smell a rat; we know the executor-brother has tastes that may exceed his income. Frankly, I’m not happy about the idea of politely forgoing $20K of my inheritance. And while it’s not my place to worry if my executor-brother is being financially irresponsible, I am concerned about how all this affects my dear sister-in-law, who I am certain knows nothing about what’s going down. How should I proceed?

—Stiffed on Inheritance

Re: This is why there should be co-executors

• There should be an attorney handling the estate as well. Contact them now, they should be monitoring what is going on. 
  • Time to go visit her brother...  together
  • Money brings out the most horrible sides of people. It's even more sad when you see families squabbling over inheritance. This is why it is best handled, or at least overseen, by someone a little less emotionally invested. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards