Wedding Woes

Monday

How was the weekend?

Ours was pretty good and very productive. 

Friday: DefConn spent the night at my parent's house.  We took the kiddo out for dinner and some shopping.

Saturday:  DH and I were up early and went to Lowe's to get deck staining stuff.  We also bought more rock and sand to finish our grill pit and DefConn's sandbox.  DH and the kiddo stained the deck.  I went to a friend's for a few and did some shopping.  Our deck looks amazing!

Sunday: We were up early (again!) and went to the outlet mall to get some BTS shopping done for the kids. Going early on Sunday to the outlet is the best way to go.  We were out of there before it got too busy (and hot).  Rest of the day was just chilling/napping. 

It was glorious because we had zero obligations to other people.  Sometimes plans sound 'fun' until you make several weekends worth of them.  After awhile, they're just a chore. 

This weekend we're hoping to get some patio furniture. 

Oh and my cousin has been all up on FB with his PokemonGo shit.   My sister's and I have been hilariously trolling him with memes and articles.  Also, my coworker told me that security has been chasing people off our campus.  Apparently, our building is a 'gem'.  

Re: Monday

• one of our showers is leaking - lucky us. I'm thinking it's the master since we had a similar problem before, but DK and I showered in different bathrooms this morning, so it could be one or both. we replaced almost all of the piping in the guest bathroom a few years ago, but kept the tub since it was in good shape - i'll be annoyed if the new stuff is already leaking. 

have a dentist appointment this morning - i'm feeling nauseous, so hoping we can hold off on the x-rays - I don't feel like gagging on the little panels. 

weekend wasn't bad. we saw independence day (date night) and smoked some steaks and a duck. i took wolverine to the park for a little bit and she made it completely across the monkey bars without any help. we may have a future ninja warrior. 

• Saturday:  DH and I were up early and went to Lowe's to get deck staining stuff.  We also bought more rock and sand to finish our grill pit and DefConn's sandbox.  DH and the kiddo stained the deck.  I went to a friend's for a few and did some shopping.  Our deck looks amazing!

Sunday: We were up early (again!) and went to the outlet mall to get some BTS shopping done for the kids. Going early on Sunday to the outlet is the best way to go.  We were out of there before it got too busy (and hot).  Rest of the day was just chilling/napping. 

It was glorious because we had zero obligations to other people.  Sometimes plans sound 'fun' until you make several weekends worth of them.  After awhile, they're just a chore. 

1.  I saw the pics and yes, yes it does.  :)

2.  I was at Target last week and saw them setting up the BTS section.  I thought to myself "Noooooooooooo!"  But we're on our fifth week of summer vacation here, so we're already approaching the halfway point, somehow.

3.  Yes, so much this. 

It was a good weekend with just DS and me.  We napped together, which I used to do with Wooz when she was little, but haven't with DS because that is usually one-on-one time with Wooz now.  After swim, I took him to the Y pool for a while.  We read a LOT of books.  Blocks, cars, easel--tons of toddler stuff.  He has officially hit the 100 questions per minute stage, so he's been keeping me on my toes.

Wooz and DH FaceTimed Saturday night as DS was getting out of the bath, and as soon as he heard Wooz, he literally dropped everything and said "Wooz?!  WOOZ?!?!"  They spent 90% of their time doing this bit from Hotel Transylvania 2.  Wooz was giggling, DS laughed so hard he fell over.

httporig09deviantartnet07b1f201527046tumblr_nq3m7yt2ok1r7oljbo4_250_by_polkadotdonnie-d9b5cjqgif

(Wooz does a pretty spot-on Dracula, FWIW.)

They got in around 9:30 last night, so of course DS got up, and it took forever to get everyone in bed.  I am feeling it this morning.

• @Heffalump, my kids start two weeks from Thursday. :open_mouth:

We are on a 'balanced calendar'.  It's not quite year-round, but they get a two week fall break, winter break, and spring break.  Summer break is only 8 weeks.  I prefer it to a longer summer break.  Either one or both of us takes some time off work on each of the breaks. 
  • We also had a no-plans, productive weekend. I finally got the guest room painted and set up. Which just leaves our room, office, and hallways left to paint. H is re-mortaring the wood stove base so it was a noisy, but good weekend. 

Heading in to unpack my office today. I'm half excited, half dreading having to be back in and office. H and I decided on a three-day work, 2-day house projects week. Our no work June went by way too fast. 
  • @Heffalump, my kids start two weeks from Thursday. :open_mouth:

• I get excited for the BTS stuff. I have absolutely no desire to BE back at school yet; I just nerd out over office supplies. 

I spent the weekend cleaning and reading, mostly. This week I'm going to hit up some kid consignment shops to start building our supply of kid stuff.  I have a dentist appointment and possibly jury duty later in the week. Yay. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm really jealous of your jury duty @AddieCake. I've never been on a jury and I really want to. I've published a paper on Federal District Courts and teach a Con Law class so I'll probably never get to and it bums me out. 
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I am back at home for a glorious week (she said with sarcasm, having seen the brighter side of 3AM this morning) before I go back out on site, so I cleaned out the freezer this weekend--mostly to prove to DH that if you don't just throw shit in it, there's tons of room to, you know, store all that meat I bought when it was on sale.  I swear, the man just won't take the extra five seconds to do a job correctly.

Sometimes, I wonder what makes me love the man, and then he goes and does shit like buy me an orchid named Lilac, which he said is "Your new job plant," or an antique dresser that exactly matches the set my grandmother left me "Because I know you want your laundry baskets back."  All bets are off on how long he actually uses it before my laundry baskets start "mysteriously" disappearing again, but I'm pretty sure that's not really why he bought it.

I hate feeling like a sap.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Oh, and it's Chemo Week.  Which is sort of shocking, because my mom just met with the oncologist last Wednesday afternoon, and she gets her first dose this Thursday.  But her oncologist said there is no reason to wait, and the sooner you start, the sooner you're done.  And my mom just wants to be well again.  I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that at this time last month, all was well, and now she's already had a bunch of appointments and is starting chemo.

Today she has her baseline EKG and patient education, Wednesday she gets her port, and Thursday is dose #1 of 6.  [deep breaths]
  • @charlotte989875 I would like to serve on a jury (on an interesting case), but I don't have time to end up sequestered or something! 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • ((hugs)) Heffa.  That does seem fast, but I'm glad everyone is wanting to get a move on it.  Why prolong the inevitable? 

She (you, others) may want to get her some good socks, a nice comfy blanket, a travel pillow, magazines, books, or a tablet loaded with netflix/hulu/movies/etc.  Chemo can get very long and boring. And cold.  They also give benadryl (through the port), so a lot of sleeping happens. 
  • Hugs and good vibes to you and your mom, Heffa.

H and I had a great weekend. We blew off our hometown festival thing on Friday and just hung out and ate all the leftovers in the fridge. He got off early Saturday morning so we cleaned the house, went to lunch and went to a party at our friend's house. Yesterday we went to BBB to buy another duvet cover since I shrunk the last one (oops) and grocery shopped.

It's crazy how much better I feel when the house is clean. I just feel so relaxed and also motivated to do other shit. I prepped everything for our meals all week, made cookies for H, all sorts of shit that I never do when the house isn't clean.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • ((hugs)) Heffa.  That does seem fast, but I'm glad everyone is wanting to get a move on it.  Why prolong the inevitable? 

She (you, others) may want to get her some good socks, a nice comfy blanket, a travel pillow, magazines, books, or a tablet loaded with netflix/hulu/movies/etc.  Chemo can get very long and boring. And cold.  They also give benadryl (through the port), so a lot of sleeping happens. 
    That is awesome, thanks!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @Heffalump hugs to you and your mom

@mrs.conn23 your deck is beautiful

I don't even know what we did this weekend.  Saturday DH got an oil change and I puttered around.  Then we played outside.  We ordered pizza, ate on the deck, then let the kids run.

Sunday church, M2 and I went to Kohls, outside play and that's about it. My SiL asked if I wanted 7 bags of hand me down clothes so between that and the kohsl trip my bts shopping is done.  M2 got her back pack and it's adorable!

I had a bts dream last night:  Our schools were so over crowded that they started a second shift school.  It was 3 pm on the first day and I realized we weren't ready at all.  I slapped some sandwiches together to get them out the door.  I was really upset I missed the first day of school pictures. M2 was hysterical that she wasn't going to be home until 11 pm.  6let kept trying to walk to school except, he kept walking the intersection that was in front of my middle school.  Then I realized that we'd been redistricted and I didn't know where the new elementary was so I was screaming in my phone to siri trying to get directions.

I woke up excited.  Apparently I have big school district anxiety.
  • Weekend was great!  Went to Weezer Friday, which was great.  Panic at the Disco opened for them so in the beginning I felt like I was drinking at a HS Homecoming dance, but there was a mass exodus of 12 year olds when they were done.

Saturday I worked a surprise birthday rooftop party.  There was a plan B for indoors, but all day the forecast said cloudy and 0 chance of rain.  So naturally the skies opened up when the guest of honor arrived.  The work part of it was hard, because we had to scramble to remove linens and move all the food indoors which pushed back the food launch.  But the guests were great and such good spirits.

Yesterday, I got to Facetime with FI for like an hour!  He made it to the top of the Great Wall of China on Saturday so to see his face while he talked about it was awesome.  He said it was borderline emotional when he made it to the top.  Afterwards, I walked to my city's downtown for an art fair and day drank by myself haha.  I didn't really think about how swollen my feet get the day after an event though, so thankfully I'm working from home today and don't have to put on shoes.
  • Hugs and good vibes to you and your mom, Heffa.

H and I had a great weekend. We blew off our hometown festival thing on Friday and just hung out and ate all the leftovers in the fridge. He got off early Saturday morning so we cleaned the house, went to lunch and went to a party at our friend's house. Yesterday we went to BBB to buy another duvet cover since I shrunk the last one (oops) and grocery shopped.

It's crazy how much better I feel when the house is clean. I just feel so relaxed and also motivated to do other shit. I prepped everything for our meals all week, made cookies for H, all sorts of shit that I never do when the house isn't clean.

This is me, too. 

• Oh and my cousin has been all up on FB with his PokemonGo shit.   My sister's and I have been hilariously trolling him with memes and articles.  Also, my coworker told me that security has been chasing people off our campus.  Apparently, our building is a 'gem'.  

@mrs.conn23: your building is a gym.  :smile:  That's where the fights happen between players and their creatures.  It's a BFD to have  gym.

I was not productive at all.  I think I'm having some delayed reactions to the last six months of my life.  Which is okay; I haven't had time to really process all of my big changes.  Divorce, my first alone apartment, my first post-divorce relationship, my first queer relationship (I dated women in college, but I never dated anyone for very long in college until ex-DH), some friendship drama, Pride, etc.  Lots of quiet, down time that I'm just catching up on reading and watching some television.

I met my friend T's new foster-to-adopt 9 month old fraternal twin babies (boy and girl).  They are completely adorable and it was lovely to see T.  K and I wandered around the downtown area that I live in and played Pokemon Go for a few hours with friends.  It was actually a hella ton of fun, just outside with friends, walking around, bonding with other players, and playing.
  • edited July 2016
    AddieCake said:
    @charlotte989875 I would like to serve on a jury (on an interesting case), but I don't have time to end up sequestered or something! 

That's true. Sequestration is pretty rare now. After the O.J. Trial many states did away with it and most judges prefer not to sequester because it leads to a higher juror drop off rate. And it's expensive for the court. 

Hope you get something interesting, that also resolves quickly. 
  • I put on my fat pants this weekend. And by "put on", I really mean I did the "suck in-wiggle-jump-repeat" number and then almost split the zipper trying to zip them up. Good times. So now I am eating lentil salad and broccoli for lunch and thinking about how much I want Taco Bell. Ugh.

Other than realizing I seriously need to lose some weight, the weekend was good. We grilled out on Saturday night and had mom and her pups over. Yesterday was church, napping, and then binge watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix (which is hilarious, btw.)

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I started purging and organizing.  Y'all Max has so many clothes I'm selling stuff that is 2 sizes bigger than he's in!  I kept 15 pairs of pants and am selling 12.  

We're getting 7 more bags of hand me downs Saturday.
  • Welp, when it rains, it pours.  My mom called, and I was concerned that something went badly at this morning's appointment, because she usually doesn't call me at work.  It's not her, it's that now my grandma can't walk and is hallucinating.  They're having a hospice consult as we speak.  My mom wants to go down there and can't.  My aunt wants to come up to see my mom and can't.  My grandma made my aunt promise to keep her at home, and I understand why but I think that's hard--sometimes you don't know what you're dealing with or what needs to be done until it happens. 

I'm just sitting here sighing and shaking my head because really, I don't know what else to do.

I feel like Debbie Downer today.  On a slightly lighter note, Wooz's Space Camp team leader nicknamed her "Muffin."  Which strikes me as pretty funny.  Mr. Heff said it was hilarious when they were in the shuttle simulator and Wooz was the mission commander.  She'd say something to Mission Control, and the team leader would say "Copy that, Muffin."
  • ((more hugs)) @Heffalump

Is your aunt close (in proximity) to your grandma?  I hope she can pick up your mom's slack.  Your mom needs to focus as much energy as possible on getting her health in order.  Also after a couple chemo treatments, she's not going to have any energy.   What a terrible time for all of this to be coming to a head. 
  • Oh I am so sorry, Heffa. So many hugs and prayers to you, your mom, and your whole family!

• Hugs Heffa. Hope this storm is fast moving and the sun shines bright soon.

Muffin is a cute nickname though.
  • ((more hugs)) @Heffalump

Is your aunt close (in proximity) to your grandma?  I hope she can pick up your mom's slack.  Your mom needs to focus as much energy as possible on getting her health in order.  Also after a couple chemo treatments, she's not going to have any energy.   What a terrible time for all of this to be coming to a head. 
    My grandma lives with my aunt and uncle, so there's that. 

The good news is that while hospice said that they need to get a plan together for my grandma, they don't think she's as bad off as my aunt initially feared, so that's something. 
  • @Heffalump - glad that hospice has a better outlook for your grandmother. sending lots of hugs - awful timing either way. 

@conn - your deck looked awesome.

• Thoughts and prayers to your family @Heffalump. I hope your Mom tolerates the chemo well.
  • Hugs and healing vibes to you and your family (((((((@Heffalump)))))))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards