Wedding Woes

Today's parenting dilemma...and a buffy story

(slightly TMI) Do you buy the gatorade in the cherry that the sick kid is most likely to drink, or do you buy it in white/clear that is least likely to stain the carpet if (when) she can't keep it down?

Also, Buffy tends to see things in her own lens--I mean, she's obstinate, but a lot of the time, when she's doing her thing at a 90 degree angle to all of the other kids, it's just because that's how she sees things.
This week at OT, they were doing an obstacle course (the floor was lava) and in a "lets get Buffy to be aware of her body and the world around it at the same time", the OT had tether-ball pendulum that Buffy was supposed to watch the timing of and then go through,  on the non-lava part of the floor.
Buffy very carefully watched it, got the timing...and then fell on the floor and army crawled, with the pendulum a few inches above her head.

I giggled because I'm sometimes glad that I"m not the only person she sends back to the drawing board :)

For the moment, we finished watching Penguins of madagascar, Sophia the First, making origami stars, reading the tale of desperaux, and we're working with aqua beads. 
Poor kid is miserable though.

Re: Today's parenting dilemma...and a buffy story

• I'd buy the white cherry because it's just as delicious as the red. I'd probably have giggled too. 
  • @GBCK  When I was younger, my parents didn't give me anything coloured for the sheer fact if I was sick - they knew if there was an issue. Only coloured drink I had was apple juice.

Actually that's kind of brilliant. I'm curious if you've had her tested what type of thinker she is - the kind that shows what type of you have; creative, logical, etc {if you have, what was the outcome?} I love watching kids think about things before they do it.
    Side note story - friend of mine's daughter climbed and fell off a dresser around xmas. Got a really good whacked and narrowly avoided stitched on her head. Now, she notably thinks about EVERYTHING she does before doing it. Even if it's a quick 30sec thought, you know she's visualizing things before doing it.
  • clear.
    they have clear cherry flavored Gatorade, so the color isn't going to change the taste.
    do you have any color change glasses that may trick her?
    (i try to avoid the red dye with an upset stomach because if i would for whatever reason need to see a doctor, i wouldn't want them to misconstrue as blood in vomit or stool - no idea how realistic it is, but usually I have clear with an upset stomach.)

i don't know if it would work as encouragement for Buffy to drink, but would "if you don't drink it, you might need to go to a hospital and get a needle in your arm" be enough of an enticement? 
  • If those are the only options I'd give sprite.  Anything clear.  No colors of any kind.

The obstacle course is kind of brilliant. 
  • is ginger ale or ginger tea an option?
  • 6fsn said:
    If those are the only options I'd give sprite.  Anything clear.  No colors of any kind.

The obstacle course is kind of brilliant. 

I was also going to suggest Sprite.  Barring that, have you tried the purple Gatorade Frost?  That may be a decent compromise. (Or any of the other Frost flavors that aren't quite so...vivid.)

Image result for purple gatorade frost

Also, Buffy has problem solving skills. :)  I like that.

• *Barbie* said:
    clear.
    they have clear cherry flavored Gatorade, so the color isn't going to change the taste.
    do you have any color change glasses that may trick her?
    (i try to avoid the red dye with an upset stomach because if i would for whatever reason need to see a doctor, i wouldn't want them to misconstrue as blood in vomit or stool - no idea how realistic it is, but usually I have clear with an upset stomach.)

i don't know if it would work as encouragement for Buffy to drink, but would "if you don't drink it, you might need to go to a hospital and get a needle in your arm" be enough of an enticement? 
    I want to say it was in the movie Cujo, where the film opened up with one of the kids eating cereal made with a red dye, then complaining of feeling ill and promptly throwing up massive amounts of red-dyed cereal, causing the mother to freak out and rush the kid to the ER because she thinks it's blood.

It's something that has stuck with me for years, so my kids will only have clear liquids when they're sick.

Also, fun fact, liver bile is green, so I'd stay away from the green Gatorade, too.

My mom gave us flat Coke or ginger ale when we were sick with a stomach bug.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I texted the Mr. to go for clear cherry; she'll drink that.  (right now we're doing flat coke)
    We've kept her hydrated by explaining the whole "uh, no drinking = shot' thing.

I'm not quite sure how she thinks--it's interesting--I know she's bright and I know that she's a very black and white thinker (which is part of being 6, but it's extra because of her personality).  And she sees her own solutions and focuses just on those, doesn't see the other ones most of the time.
    Amuses me extremely.  (granted, I'm biased)
  • does anyone remember those "huggie" /"little hug" juice drinks?

When I was in 1st/2nd grade, we did a Brownie overnight at the Childrens' museum, and we were drinking those all night and at breakfast. I was carpooling with one of the other girls, and she got carsick on the way home. Neon green puke all over her mom's seat/floor. Not pretty. I think that's what gave me the aversion to doing highly pigmented drinks with an upset stomach.
  • Ugh, I remember those drinks.
    And I remember puking up red dyed cough syrup, which stained.

When we first got El Gato, she ate a orange dyed feather toy, and puked it onto the apt. carpet.  I'm amazed we didn't loose a deposit out of that, it NEVER came out.

The Mr. found the glacier cherry.  And she's eating real food now, fingers crossed

• I opt for the blue powerade over Gatorade...  NEVER red!!!  Red is a PITA to remove from all surfaces (carpet is the least of your worries) and red is a color you're suppose to watch out for (bloody anything) so yea - no red Gatorade...  But really - freezie pops make everyone feel great and are easy to get to go in! (Pedialite has their own ones too).. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards