Wedding Woes

Working out at lunch?

Do any of you do this (I feel like I remember some posts)? I've usually always worked out at night but it's getting easier and easier for me to just say screw it and go home. Any tips or tricks for fitting in a good workout in the middle of the day? Do you dry and style your hair after? Needing to get out of my workout rut. 

Re: Working out at lunch?

• I do it, but I'm a spe-shul snowflake since I work from home.  I typically work out for 30-45 min and then take a shower.  I fix lunch once I'm back on the clock and eat at my desk.  

If I didn't work out on my lunch break, I'd never work out. 
  • I used to work out at lunch all the time.  I loved how convenient it was to just slip it into the middle of the day rather than having to worry about finding the time/energy after work or getting up extra early in the morning.  But there also used to be a gym a half a block from where I worked, so it was very convenient to set aside an hour around noon and just go sweat for a bit, eat at my desk after.

I showered after a workout, but I wouldn't wash my hair, mostly because it's so long and gets so tangled and natty and takes too long to care for properly.

I work out significantly less now that there's no convenient place to do so during the day, and the mirror is not as forgiving as I'd like it to be.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016

I do.  We're Y members and there is a branch two minutes from my office, so I pop over there.  (Not as often as I should, but I'm working on it.  I'm definitely going today!)

As far as my hair, I usually put it in a ponytail when I work out, and I don't redo it after.

mrsconn23 said:

If I didn't work out on my lunch break, I'd never work out. 
    This x 1000.  I am already getting up at 5:45, and I can't make myself get up earlier.  By the time I pick up the kids, get home, do homework, dinner, baths, bedtime, and prep everything for the next day, it's easily after 9:00.  And by then, I'm tired.  So I finally concluded that lunch is the only time that works for me right now.

• I've played with the idea.  A few of our salesmen do workout at lunch.  There'a a gym in the office building over, and no one monitors our lunch times around here so I could sign up and go.  Get 45 minuets in.  

Oh, but I have a home gym I don't use.

• I work out at lunch (and should do it more).  We have a gym in the building.  I shower after but I don't wash my hair.  I blow dry my hair and pull it into a bun.  It works out nicely and gives me a boost for the afternoon.

• I've wondered about this too! I'm glad you posted this. It's so easy for me to go home after work, especially with DH being gone so I worry about the dogs needing to go out, etc. I think I'll try going on my lunch one day this week!

• I've wondered about this too! I'm glad you posted this. It's so easy for me to go home after work, especially with DH being gone so I worry about the dogs needing to go out, etc. I think I'll try going on my lunch one day this week!
    Yes! That's actually what got me thinking about doing something different. H has been gone all week, and is leaving again next week. The dog is home most of the day by himself and when I finally get home I have to let him out, then he looks so sad if I try and leave again. 

I brought gym clothes to work, so we'll see how it goes!
  • i used to, then i broke my ankle and never picked back up. (it's been like a year and a half, and i've gone maybe 5 times in that span). 

we have a gym in our office so I would go down there. they run classes over lunch that run from 30-60-ish minutes. different types of classes on different days. i asked them to suspend my membership ~6 months ago because i was paying for it but never going. by the time i took a class, showered (there are 5 showers and you might have 20+ women in one class, so there's a wait) dressed, and got back to my desk, i could be gone upwards of 90 minutes or more. 

we lost the best trainer right around the time i was hurt (he was certified for the Beachbody programs so did Insanity and T25 a few times/week) and my workload has also increased a lot, so i really don't have time or motivation. :-(

• So ironically enough, we were talking about this today at work.  The price for people who work in our building went down from $50 to $20/month for gym membership.
    The lower cost is appealing.  To get it out of the way on most days.

• A lot really depends on the type of workout you're doing and what your fitness plan/goals are.  For me unless it's 2+ hour lunches, it wouldn't work.  The bigger thing to address is not the time of day, but dive into the layers of the excuse making process.  Figure that part of things out and your workouts will happen.  
  • I don't think I ever could. It'd be annoying to take a shower in the middle of the day, and take up a bunch of time, and I couldn't go back to work without. I'd be worried about smelling. Also, I'd be spending double the money on makeup because I'd have to redo it after working out and showering.