Wedding Woes
Options

DrillSergeantCat Nextdoor

2»

Re: DrillSergeantCat Nextdoor

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Ro041 said:
    I have never heard of anyone declining fluoride for any good reason.  
    I used to decline it because I would throw up every time I had to use the concentrated version at the dentist's office, and I figured that just defeated the purpose. I chose to stop getting it at the dentist when I was around 16.  I should probably note I'm almost 30 and I've never had a cavity, because while I was given the crooked teeth from hell that took nearly 10 years of braces to fix, apparently my enamel is blessed.  lol.  
    That totally makes sense (and there goes my "no good reason" theory).  At least you got it when you were a kid.  Getting it as a kid really helps teeth stay healthy in the long run.

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    levioosa said:
    Ro041 said:
    I have never heard of anyone declining fluoride for any good reason.  
    I used to decline it because I would throw up every time I had to use the concentrated version at the dentist's office, and I figured that just defeated the purpose. I chose to stop getting it at the dentist when I was around 16.  I should probably note I'm almost 30 and I've never had a cavity, because while I was given the crooked teeth from hell that took nearly 10 years of braces to fix, apparently my enamel is blessed.  lol.  
    That totally makes sense (and there goes my "no good reason" theory).  At least you got it when you were a kid.  Getting it as a kid really helps teeth stay healthy in the long run.
    True.  I wanted to stop it when I was twelve, but I was terrified of getting those gross rings around your braces that happen when you don't have good dental care.  So I forced myself to get it until my braces were gone.  

• Options
    @levioosa  Throwing up post fluoride may have defeated the purpose - but in that case I would say you had a legitimate reason to not get it. 
  • Options
    we had to get our fluoride levels tested, because of the well water.  We have naturally occurring fluoride that's *just* on the edge, but our dentist said not to supplement.

I had to take these stupid pink pills every morning growing up--because for some reason, city water be damned, mylittle town didn't add it.  I can hazard guesses why.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2017
    *Barbie* said:
    NextDoor judgement - local woman asked for pediatric dentist recommendations where the dentist had a natural approach and accepts HMOs. 

i contained myself and asked her to expand on "natural" rather than telling her to gargle essential oils ( you know, cure-all) or try urine as a toothpaste/mouthwash like the Romans used to do. 

her response: "for example our current dentist gives me all the options and we can choose what is best for our family even if that's healing cavities by changing our diet. She does not push treatments. Instead of using your typical sealants she uses something more natural. She doesn't encourage x-rays for little ones. She allows us to decline fluoride if we desire and doesn't criticize us for doing so. Etc."

I was like, "yeah, can't recommend my daughter's dentist because they use science and technology in their practice. i googled holistic dentists for you (link) but it doesn't look like the locals  accept any insurance."
    As opposed to forcing them to accept fluoride at gunpoint, I guess?

I don't understand people who want to see a doctor or dentist, but only want them to say what they want to hear, don't want them to make any recommendations that they disagree with, etc.  If that's the case, why bother?  Just go chew some leaves and call it good.

I always thought that seeing a professional allowed you to avail yourself of their professional education and expertise. I didn't realize they were just supposed to pat my hand and assure me that I always know best about everything.

ETA: when I worked in the dental industry years ago, massage chairs were definitely a thing.  We used to sit in them in the showroom when we didn't have any tours coming through.

http://www.dentalproductsreport.com/dental/article/top-5-benefits-pelton-cranes-spirit-3000-dental-chair
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    we had to get our fluoride levels tested, because of the well water.  We have naturally occurring fluoride that's *just* on the edge, but our dentist said not to supplement.

I had to take these stupid pink pills every morning growing up--because for some reason, city water be damned, mylittle town didn't add it.  I can hazard guesses why.
    I had to take these too! And just as I was reading your post, I actually had a flashback to taking these and could remember exactly how they tasted!
  • Options
    GBCK said:

I had to take these too! And just as I was reading your post, I actually had a flashback to taking these and could remember exactly how they tasted!
    I seem to recall they tasted like bits of chalk someone tried to flavor with bubblegum.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    GBCK said:

I seem to recall they tasted like bits of chalk someone tried to flavor with bubblegum.
    that sounds about right
    +6
  • Options
    (sorry, kitten helping me post)
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    GBCK said:

that sounds about right
    +6
    Mine tasted like fake cherry chalk. 
  • Options
    GBCK said:

that sounds about right
    +6
    GBCK said:
    (sorry, kitten helping me post)

Damn, here I was thinking I was winning today.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    "Just go chew some leaves and call it good."  Always sound advice @Heffalump
     :D 

• Options
    Heffalump said:

I don't understand people who want to see a doctor or dentist, but only want them to say what they want to hear, don't want them to make any recommendations that they disagree with, etc.  If that's the case, why bother?  Just go chew some leaves and call it good.

I always thought that seeing a professional allowed you to avail yourself of their professional education and expertise. I didn't realize they were just supposed to pat my hand and assure me that I always know best about everything.

That was my thought. I mean, at that point, just do an "ISO Quack with advanced degree that will blow rainbows up my ass" post, and be done with it.