Wedding Woes

Thursday

Whats up WW? Ready for the weekend?

I had a lazy-ish day but the first floor is clean because I wasn't sure if we were having people over or not. We are not.

Yesterday was kind of a flop. I made banana cake and didn't cook it long enough. So I scraped the icing off and rebaked it today. I made it for a friend so I hope it is edible. :/ My friend and I did go over the cost for our proposed trip to Greece. Now I just have to figure out with DH if it is feasible.

The guy at DH's work that everyone hated was removed from the department so everyone is celebrating.

Re: Thursday

• edited April 2017
    @missJeanLouise  ahaha love when people celebrate people leaving :') It's sometimes mean but if it's a lot less stress, it's worth it!

My mum stayed for dinner last night. Also discovered Angel had pooped upstairs on my shag rug. More than once. So I gave up and threw it out. It was beyond cleaning :(
    I wanna get another rug, but not shag this time for sure.

Angel unfortunately gets like this when he's stress, and he tends to feed off my stress often. Likely between moving stuff around {because we got a couch and coffee table for basement} and the general stress that's in the house because of M being jobless .... it just got to him. Well .... guess I'll have to ensure he's getting his powder, since it helps.
    I left the room to clean stuff up
    Mum: has she been stressed lately?
    M: For basically 2 months.
    *I come back*
    Mum: I didn't realize he'd been off that long.
    Me: End of February. Yup.

Hopefully that ends soon. As I mentioned yesterday, he has interview with CEO today. So we'll see .... so hard not to get hopes up!
  • edited April 2017
    @MissKittyDanger it's not mean spirited, more like it is Thursday (End of the work week here) and everyone is feeling jolly. We always get together on Thursday but sometimes it would be because all the guys were frustrated and needed a drink. 

Fingers crossed for M and Angel!
  • @missJeanLouise  oh I completely get it! With M's old job, there was one guy {nice guy, but horrible to work with} and after M finished working with him on projects, he would celebrate lol
  • Clinic defense, in the rain, trying not to check my phone every two minutes to see if I've heard from the job. 

No big weekend plans, going out with friends to a new beer spot Saturday, probably painting the bathroom Sunday. 

• @charlotte989875  phone call vibes!

Thanks! They said I'd hear something by the end of the week. 

@atomicblonde have a great trip, you definitely deserve a break! Where are you going rafting?

@atomicblonde have a great trip, you definitely deserve a break! Where are you going rafting?

Nantahala River, I think.  Which reminds me that I need to print out directions to our cabin, like, now.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @MissKittyDanger, for being so kick-ass and predatory, cats are also such sensitive little creatures.  They definitely don't like changes.  We got a new area rug once.  For two hours straight, our cat Nip did nothing but sniff it and roll around on it.  Her nose looked like a bunny's.  Just perpetually sniffing.

I was livid yesterday.  Mad for hours, I just could not get over it.  My bank is going through a "partial" merger with another one.  Some branches are merging.  Some aren't.  I've gotten a ridiculous amount of mail on it.  Which has primarily been a list of the branches closing.  But here's the so weird and so dumb part.  Depending on where a customer opened their account, their account is being switched to the other bank.  Now, if all of this happened on the same date, nbd.  But that is NOT how they did it.

My H went to make a deposit into our account yesterday.  They told him that account was part of the merger and we are no longer customers of First NBC.  They cannot take the deposit.  Oh, but, GET THIS.  We aren't customers of the other bank either until May 12th.  Three weeks from now.  So, in the interim, the ONLY branches we can use are the 3 or 4 that are being consolidated.  Two of those branches are 20-30 minutes away each from my house.  There isn't a closer one.

Never mind I live in an area called Mid-City.  I'll let you guess why it is called MID-City.  Not Podunk Gardens.

Oh, and in my mountains of mail about the merger, NONE of this was clearly explained.  None of it.  Or we would have bailed on this bungled s**t show weeks ago, before it so negatively affected us.

At any rate, despite the fact it is such a pain to close an account and open another one, that is still easier than staying at this one.  Ironically, I opened my account with them when I got mad and closed a previous account with the bank they sold some of their branches to.  Yet another reason it is time to bail.

I was taking tomorrow off anyway because Jazz Fest is about descend upon us.  Not that we're going, I just don't want to lose my parking spot while I'm at work, lol.  So we've already picked out a new bank and will be opening an account there tomorrow morning.  Bonus, it is a branch within walking distance to our house.  Negative, it is a really busy branch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Nantahala River, I think.  Which reminds me that I need to print out directions to our cabin, like, now.

That's right by where we used to live. It's gorgeous and the staff (if you're going to the big rafting center) is awesome. If you're near the Nantahala Brewing Company it's definitely worth a stop. 

• Nantahala River, I think.  Which reminds me that I need to print out directions to our cabin, like, now.

Oh!  That sounds great!  Enjoy the trip.

I also need to use more of my vacation time.  I'm not really feeling up to going somewhere for a week, plus money.  But a few four-dayer trips would be nice.  Either driving distance or a short, cheap flight.  We're tentatively planning for Chicago in early June.  Maybe the FL Gulf Coast later in the summer, but that is when their rates are highest, meh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2017
    Had a meeting last night.  Pride is marching forward, little by little.  The last month is just such a fucking jam of deadlines, graphics, schedules, etc.  It's just rough and there's no real way around it.

I have the meeting tonight with the venue that is being problematic.  I've put in 3 expectations that I expect will get them to bounce the booking.  No right of refusal/approval on performers or advertising, and a clause that if they cancel the booking up to and including the date of performance, they pay back the committee back for time, expenses, and hardship estimated @ this time @ $3000, but reserving the right to invoice at the time of cancellation.  Honestly, I'm starting to think that they are inexperienced with dealing with things at my level and not expecting someone to walk in with that list.  Well, they forced my hand, so let me show you the cards...the odds are NOT in your favor.

Roller derby this weekend, helping a friend who's having a rough breakup in her new apartment.  Lists and lists of Pride stuffs.

• VarunaTT said:

Had a meeting last night.  Pride is marching forward, little by little.  The last month is just such a fucking jam of deadlines, graphics, schedules, etc.  It's just rough and there's no real way around it.

I have the meeting tonight with the venue that is being problematic.  I've put in 3 expectations that I expect will get them to bounce the booking.  No right of refusal/approval on performers or advertising, and a clause that if they cancel the booking up to and including the date of performance, they pay back the committee back for time, expenses, and hardship estimated @ this time @ $3000, but reserving the right to invoice at the time of cancellation.  Honestly, I'm starting to think that they are inexperienced with dealing with things at my level and not expecting someone to walk in with that list.  Well, they forced my hand, so let me show you the cards...the odds are NOT in your favor.

Roller derby this weekend, helping a friend who's having a rough breakup in her new apartment.  Lists and lists of Pride stuffs.

I've planned a few big, corporate Christmas parties in my day.  It's astounding how difficult places can be.  Multiple calls just to get event managers to send me prices/menus.  Then a venue gets chosen.  You'd think the fact that I'm spending $20K in one night at an establishment would deserve a call back in 24-48 hours when I have a valid question.  But apparently not.  Obviously I must be a special snowflake to think multiple phone calls and still no response after two weeks isn't acceptable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  we figure Angel using my rug was his way of telling ME because despite the fact he very much loves M, at the end of the day he is my cat. {they are both mine because Penny is a mama's girl lol} I keep telling Angel to puke on M's stuff so he'll learn not to leave it on the floor ... but nope. Shag rug that I can't clean. *sigh*

The sniffing and rolling is what Penny does with M's stuff because she LOVES the male scent. Weird cat ...
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Nothing much here.  Tons of work and school musical tonight.

They're proposing new school start/end times and I don't think I like it.  Elementary would be 7:3-2 instead of 9- 3:30.  High school would be 8:30-3:45 instead of 7:20-2:35.  They site health risks associated with sleep deprivation.  I believe there are health risks, but I kinda feel like high schoolers would be better at regulating sleep than a 5 year old.  It's going to force a lot of parents to spend a lot more in childcare too. 
  • Reasons why I love Thursdays on the radio:
    Throwback Thursday.

I have heard "Summer Girls" by LFO, "Tubthumpin" by Chumbawumba and now it's "Ride Wit Me" by Nelly!

GET ME OUTSIDE NOW!!!
  • Has anyone ever had a potential employer ask them to do a Predictive Behavioral Assessment? Just got an email from a job I applied for (not the interview), and I've never done this before, is this something standard in the private sector? Help a clueless academic out. 

• Has anyone ever had a potential employer ask them to do a Predictive Behavioral Assessment? Just got an email from a job I applied for (not the interview), and I've never done this before, is this something standard in the private sector? Help a clueless academic out. 

Yes!  I have.  Or at least something that sounds like that.  It was at a spate of job interviews over a 2-year period...but 15+ years ago.  It was like everyone drank the same Kool-Aid.  Those tests were more like "personality types" for jobs.  In more recent years, I've taken tests that are more gauging feelings of particular actions and "what would you do in x scenario"...but set up as a 5-point scale like "most likely to least likely"/"most describe you to least describe you".  Apparently it's the second round of Kool-Aid.  I think I've taken that test twice over the last 10 years.  And, yeah, it was the same test, lol.

I personally find them super eye rolling.  Like, "YEAH I'd be super likely to embezzle from my employer!!  Where do I sign up?"  Many of the questions are more subtle than that, but still.  I've also heard they're primarily looking for the people who choose the "perfect" answer for every question.  Because those are liars (and they would be).

I mean, obviously it's not a deal breaker for me.  I've filled them out for jobs I've applied for.  But it's nothing but a game and psychological tricks, so I can't help but side-eye companies that give any weight to them. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yes!  I have.  Or at least something that sounds like that.  It was at a spate of job interviews over a 2-year period...but 15+ years ago.  It was like everyone drank the same Kool-Aid.  Those tests were more like "personality types" for jobs.  In more recent years, I've taken tests that are more gauging feelings of particular actions and "what would you do in x scenario"...but set up as a 5-point scale like "most likely to least likely"/"most describe you to least describe you".  Apparently it's the second round of Kool-Aid.  I think I've taken that test twice over the last 10 years.  And, yeah, it was the same test, lol.

I personally find them super eye rolling.  Like, "YEAH I'd be super likely to embezzle from my employer!!  Where do I sign up?"  Many of the questions are more subtle than that, but still.  I've also heard they're primarily looking for the people who choose the "perfect" answer for every question.  Because those are liars (and they would be).

I mean, obviously it's not a deal breaker for me.  I've filled them out for jobs I've applied for.  But it's nothing but a game and psychological tricks, so I can't help but side-eye companies that give any weight to them. 

Thanks, that makes me feel better about side-eying this a little. It was two questions; 1) choose from a list of qualified (dozens) that you feel people expect of you and 2) choose the qualifies you feel represent you. That was it. Weird, probably didn't do it "right". 

Thanks, that makes me feel better about side-eying this a little. It was two questions; 1) choose from a list of qualified (dozens) that you feel people expect of you and 2) choose the qualifies you feel represent you. That was it. Weird, probably didn't do it "right". 

Oh, okay!  That sounds much better than the most recent one I took twice.  It was a LOT of "scale" questions.  I'd guess 60-80.  And some of them were diametrically opposed to each other.  Like, just to simplify it, one question might ask if the word "leader" describes you and another question might ask if the word "follower" describes you.  But they would phrase it like scenarios/behaviors so it wasn't completely obvious that was really what they were asking.

Just mostly obvious, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker