Wedding Woes

Dysfunction Is Dysfunction

It’s hard for me to make good friends that last. A few years ago, I made a good friend at work. We could talk to each other about everything. Our kids got on really well too, which was an added bonus. There was just one issue: My husband hated her from the get-go. At first he gave shallow reasons like she’s too tall or she just looks untrustworthy. Later, if we ever got in an argument, he’d jump at the chance to put her down more. Eventually he forbade me from seeing her unless our kids were present. I still would hang out with her alone as adults here and there; I’d just not tell him. I never told her my husband did not want me seeing her. Eventually, she found out and was furious. The next day, my husband looked her email up on the school contact list and sent a hate-filled email to her. He never told me and acted completely normal. She forwarded it to me and said we couldn’t be friends or even speak anymore. I apologized to her, acknowledging I put her in a terrible situation, but to no avail. I get it, she shouldn’t have to deal with that. I was devastated, work is completely awkward and miserable, I really miss my friend, and my daughter misses her friends. My husband feels victorious and has been extra nice lately. I’m having a difficult time feeling OK around my husband. I confronted him about the email, but he responded that he probably went a little too far but was not sorry for doing it because he got me back. This is somewhat creepy to me. I see a therapist, but he refuses to go, saying they are all against him and our marriage. How is it possible to rebuild trust and a healthy relationship where there has been so much dysfunction and mistrust for so long?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dysfunction Is Dysfunction

• I am guessing that this poor woman can't stand up for herself.   

This isn't about rebuilding trust.   Her husband has power and his nice attitude is because he won.   Quite frankly, the only way that this is going to work is to get out.   I highly doubt any man who refuses to seek therapy is interested in changing.   If he won't she has two options: accept that he's in charge of her life or remove him from a position of power.

The latter may be harder than it sounds.   But she needs to figure out which path she wants and whether or not she's comfortable resigning herself to the security of her marital home and absolutely no control over her life or having control over her life which puts her entirely in charge of it. 
  • All of what @banana468 said, but I would also be very worried about the daughter in this family, and would hope that LW considers her and her growth/development in whatever decision she ultimately makes.  These are not good lessons for kids to be taught, and it also makes me wonder what kind of relationship the H and daughter have...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I was also getting potential "abuse" vibes.  The LW said it is hard for her to make friends.  Is that because she secretly knows her H doesn't want her to have friends?  He couldn't even give her a reason why she was "forbidden" (are you serious!?!) from seeing this friend.  It sounds like he was just mad this person was taking an iota of the LW's "time" away from him.

Alienate a person from their friends/family.  It is a classic abuser sign. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker