Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Flower Girl Job

So my fiancé's little cousin is going to be our flower girl which I am super pumped about!! Apparently she is a little shy though, so I'm worried about overwhelming her by having her throw flowers and walk down the aisle. Would just holding a pomander be sufficient? Has anyone had experience with a shy flower girl? 

I also have my little cousin as ring bearer and am thinking if they walk down the aisle together they might both be more comfortable. Thoughts?

Re: Flower Girl Job

• Walking together might be better. What ages are they? Holding a pomander is fine - a lot of churches don't allow flower petals to be scattered anyway. You might want to make sure the parents are close to the front so that she can sit with them after she walks down the aisle. Also, be prepared for her not to do it and don't be upset if that happens.
  • So my fiancé's little cousin is going to be our flower girl which I am super pumped about!! Apparently she is a little shy though, so I'm worried about overwhelming her by having her throw flowers and walk down the aisle. Would just holding a pomander be sufficient? Has anyone had experience with a shy flower girl? 

I also have my little cousin as ring bearer and am thinking if they walk down the aisle together they might both be more comfortable. Thoughts?
    How old are they?  Kids under the age of 3 really have no understanding of the significance of a wedding ceremony.  Being in an unfamiliar setting, surrounded by unfamiliar people, in an excited environment is overwhelming, to say the least. 

There is almost no way to predict or anticipate how a little one will respond on the day of the wedding.  Is there a familiar adult in the wedding party with whom she could walk?  All you can really do is prepare yourself that this little one may choose to do nothing, including walk up the aisle, the day of the wedding. 
  • When talking to our florist, the pomander price was a bit steep.   We had our florist arrange some flowers in a small basket (we were in a church that didn't allow tosssing petals).  It was much more affordable. 

• I don't think what she's carrying/doing makes a difference. If she's really shy, I wouldn't expect her to do this at all. She might freeze up at the head of the aisle and nobody should force her down it. You don't want to make her do something she doesn't want to do "because cute" - it's just kind of mean, you know?

Are these little cousins siblings? If so, I'd have them walk together. Walking with someone she knows would probably help a lot. 
    *********************************************************************************

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd say the FG job is to walk down the aisle with flowers (either scattering petals, holding a basket of flowers or holding a pomander).  If your venue allows the first, I'd let the FG decide which she likes most.  If she's super shy she may back out at the last minute (even not-shy kids can be unpredictable).  
    I don't know how big of a difference it would make if she went down the aisle with the RB- she's FIs cousin and the boy is your cousin- are they good friends?  If so it'd probably help a bit.
  • The FG will be turning 5 and the RB will be 5 1/2. The two have never met since they live in different states. I actually have not met the FG either since her family lives in a different state than us. I'm going off of what the MOG and the FG's parents have said and how my fiancée has described her. One of my bridesmaids is my fiancé's sister who is close to the little girl and would be standing up front just in case.
  • Those ages are perfect for a FG and RB. Like I said earlier, have them walk down together if the FG seems more comfortable that way. DD's FG was 4 and RB was 7. They walked down together, FG held a pomander. When they got down to the front they sat with their parents who were sitting in the rows right behind the families of bride and groom. 

A PP mentioned how expensive pomanders were. DD made hers by buying a styrofoam ball at Micheal's and silk flowers in her colors. She glued and stuck them in the ball. She bought matching ribbon and made a loop that she glued and used a pin to stick into the ball. Probably cost less than $10 to make and looked great. The FG loved it.