Wedding Woes

Bonus: Tall Tale Friend

Dear Jane,

I’ve been living with a male friend for two and a half years now, and it’s mostly great. We’ve become the best of friends, go out regularly together, make each other laugh and understand each other. I’m happy to have him around.

The problem is that he is a pathological liar. As soon as he launches into one of his stories, I brace myself for a tidal wave of bullshit. The stories have 3 themes. 1) Heroic acts of bravery in which he stood up to bullies 2) Evil crimes committed against him by ex-girlfriends. 3) Claims that he was once a successful stand-up comedian and is best friends with every comedian on the planet.

When the lies start, my brain switches off. Lies are about as interesting as people’s dreams. By pretending to believe him, I am being disingenuous myself and missing out on real human connection. I’ve only called him out on his lies once, and it made him angry. I know that he lies to protect himself from some deep psychological wound he has (the lies are never malicious) but I’m tired of them. I get very embarrassed when he does it in the company of others.

Should I try to confront him or just carry on pretending to believe him?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bonus: Tall Tale Friend

• mrsconn23 said:

When the lies start, my brain switches off. Lies are about as interesting as people’s dreams. 

Um?
    *********************************************************************************

• If the lies truly don't effect others, then just let him KOKO.  When he starts up the stories in a group setting, just put on your best this is Larry being Larry face and let him tell his stories. 
  • If the lies truly don't effect others, then just let him KOKO.  When he starts up the stories in a group setting, just put on your best this is Larry being Larry face and let him tell his stories. 
    I know someone who pathologically lies, and this is exactly what we do. Some of the lies are just so stupid. Like, I'll see her drinking a coke in the morning and then later I'll hear her saying "oh, I had a sprite this morning. It was so good. I hate coke. I never drink it." But....why? 

• I love hearing other people's dreams ... by the LW's logic, I would therefore love listening to lies?  

• Ha. H's cousin is like this. Everyone knows it, no one calls him on it. It's weird, but whatever. 
  • I had a b/f in college who, although not quite as bad as the LW's friend, did tell stories that needed to be taken with a grain of salt.

We had a large group of mutual friends.  Shortly after we broke up, one of his guy friends asked me (with a laugh), "Is anything he says true?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker