Wedding Woes

Your mom is a toxic person whom will not change.

Dear Prudence,
My husband is in the process of coming out as trans. This means that I, a heretofore assumed straight male, am also coming out as bisexual. I’m so happy that this is something that my partner and I can experience together. But I am dreading coming out to my image-obsessed mother. My mom is a truth-suppression machine. As a teenager, she compelled me to live with the secret of my father’s arrest for sex crimes. When I was in college, I made the mistake of being honest with her about my atheism, which led to her attempt to manipulate and even intimidate me into hiding this as well. Truth be told, she succeeded in part. Although I told a few friends and family members, against her wishes, it was almost two years before I went public. She felt free to tell anyone she felt like talking to. But I was supposed to take these “shameful” secrets to my grave.

My mother’s family is hostile to the LGBT community, and I have little doubt that her reaction to the dual revelations that her daughter-in-law is actually her son-in-law, and yes, her son is equally happy being married to another man, will be to try to sweep everything under the rug. Our relationship is barely starting to mend as things are. I won’t be able forgive her for this again, especially since she hasn’t asked for forgiveness for the last two times she did this to me, although I told her very clearly how I had been hurt. I am desperate for any way to forestall her knee-jerk reaction, but I can’t not tell my family forever. What should I do?

—Happy With Him, Not Sure About Her

Re: Your mom is a toxic person whom will not change.

• Live your truth the way you and your husband feel is best. Mom sounds awful and you don't owe her suppressing your life and happiness for her convenience. 
  • This woman is toxic and should be not in LW's life. This is the type of woman who would gaslight their kids.
  • "Mom, I know we have a history of you asking me to hide things about myself. You have apologized and I appreciate that. As my mother, I want a relationship with you, but I also need to be able to be honest and open about myself. Sarah will be transitioning to Pete over the next several years and I have realized I am bi-sexual. We are both very happy about this choice and feel great about our lives ahead. We plan to be open and honest with everyone we know about this change in our lives."

LW needs to realize HE is in the driver's seat - not his mom. If she responses negatively or asks LW to shield the family, drop that bitch like the hot mess she is.
    *********************************************************************************

• It sounds like LW could use some therapy with the way his mother treated him throughout his life.  It could also help to establish healthy boundaries with his mother, when mom finds out about the changes in their lifestyle.  But really, LW doesn't need his mom or her toxic anti-LGBT family.