Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Re: post closed.

• Options
    I believe that your Church Ceremony would be a "convalidation" not a wedding because you're already married and not a vow renewal because you are asking for recognition from the Church for the first time. 

But, OP, why not just have the big church wedding and reception now before you graduate? It's kind of weird to invite people to a "ceremony" and "reception" when you've already been married.  
  • Options
    You get one wedding unless you get divorce after the first one.

So you'll be having your REAL wedding this November.  You'll be having a "wedding industry ceremony" next year and by that, I mean a meaningless recreation so that you can live out the fantasy that bridal magazines, website and tv shows convince people that they must have.

If a religious ceremony is so important to you, then have that this November.  Sorry but I simply don't get planning two ceremonies in roughly a year's time.

But hey....good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    is your priest aware of this?

convalidations are normally only performed when there is a dire reason to marry outside of teh church in the first place.  Money is not usually considered a dire reason.  the church also usually frowns upon a civil ceremony followed by a religoius one, except in countries where its required under law, and even then, they are usually performed within days of each other, and the couple doest not live as husband and wife until the religious ceremony has taken place.
  • Options
    Since we will be paying for it, we have to consider financials. We can't afford to throw a big bash or anything now, and so are choosing to do it later- after i graduate just seems like appropriate timing, and gives us enough time to save up the money. 

And sorry for getting the terminology mixed up- I'm not Catholic, but my fiance's family is. I'm still familiarizing myself with everything!

But, regardless of our legal status as "married," we would like our families and friends to witness our vows and to celebrate with us, even if it is delayed. Inviting them to the Catholic ceremony, to us anyways, seems like good a way to share our marriage and our vows with them, even if, legally, we're already hitched.

• Options
    I totally understand why you are doing what you are doing, I have friends & family who have chosen the same route your taking. Stay true to yourself & your wishes.  As far as announcement I would pair it as a save the date, and determine your location & date before the civil ceremony. Id use wording as such:
    Mr and Mrs Brides Parents
    Have the pleasure of announcing
    The marriage of their daughter
    Sally Bride
    to
    John Groom
    who were wed on:
    Date of civil ceremony

Please save the date
    for their vow renewal
    &
    celebration of marriage
    Date of Renewal
    Location of Reneal

Just what Ive seen in the past! Good Luck!
  • Options
    thank you so much!!!
  • Options
    well, you can get married in a church now, without the big bash, and then have a reception later.  talk to your FI's priest.  seriously, what you are considering might not fly when you go to do your religious ceremony.  honestly, not being able to pay for a fancy reception is not a financial reason for needing to marry now. 
  • Options
    You can't "close" a post. And you can't technically have 2 weddings. At least, I gather that's what this was all about. I would take PP's advice and talk to FI's priest about your plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards