Wedding Woes

Tell your boss and stop worrying about what happens to him because he's not worried about you.

Dear Prudence,

I am a thirtysomething, single woman who has worked in the same small company for years. During this time a few of my male co-workers have approached me for dates. I have never had an issue with kindly turning any of them down, until now. One co-worker is irritatingly persistent. He constantly inquires about the relationship status of every woman that breathes. For years he has asked about me. I began by deflecting his interest politely, but after years of it I have had to up the level of aggression in my dealings with him. I now give one-word answers and don’t look or smile at him when he talks to me. It’s exhausting to be so rude. I try as hard as I can to avoid him when he is in the building. If I see him in one department I turn tail and put off my task until later. Unfortunately, whenever he feels chatty he corners me in my office. At that point I try to look as busy as possible, but he doesn’t take the hint! I can’t keep working like this. His behavior is making it difficult for me to do my job.

We don’t have an HR department. My boss respects me, and I him, so I could speak with him about this, but I don’t want to give him the impression that I’m a damsel in distress, and I don’t think the creep needs to be fired over this behavior—he just needs to respect boundaries. This week he asked me to a movie and I said no, but his behavior has not changed. I know I need to be more direct, but we will continue working together—so how can I keep what I say professional while making it clear that I am not interested in dating him?

—Back Off

Re: Tell your boss and stop worrying about what happens to him because he's not worried about you.

• He needs to be told that his behavior is unacceptable in the workplace.   

It's not just personal.  It IS business.  
  • If this has been going on for years, then boss NEEDS to know.  He is basically the default HR, if they don't have one.  LW and apparently other women in the office are being harassed by this guy!  Someone needs to speak up.

But since LW doesn't want to involve Boss, LW should be more direct to the creeper first. "Bob, you have asked me out multiple times over the course of your time here at the office.  The answer is always no and will continue to be no.  You need to stop asking me out because it is interfering with our work.  I also would rather only talk about work related things while at the office"

If he corners her in her office. "Bob, I do not have time to talk right now.  Please close the door on your way out of my office."

• She has the line she needs in her letter:  "Boss, co-worker's behavior is making it difficult for me to do my job."
  • Again, I don't understand why it would be so hard to talk to her boss about this. His behavior is wrong and inappropriate! 
  • Businesses don't need HR departments to follow the law, and the law is sexual harassment (which I'm pretty sure this would qualify as) is not permitted. Tell your boss. 
  • baconsmom said:
    "It's exhausting to be so rude" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Sweetie, no. You're not even skimming the surface of rude. 

Also, how can one be "more direct" than "NO"? There's literally nothing more direct than that - unless she's not actually being rude or saying no. In which case, yeah, be more direct. Otherwise, tell your boss, because this is harassment. 
    Is that why I'm so tired this week?  Because I've been such a bitch?
    Image result for the more you know

Wanna be a bitch? Take more naps.
  • If this has been going on for years, then boss NEEDS to know.  He is basically the default HR, if they don't have one.  LW and apparently other women in the office are being harassed by this guy!  Someone needs to speak up.

But since LW doesn't want to involve Boss, LW should be more direct to the creeper first. "Bob, you have asked me out multiple times over the course of your time here at the office.  The answer is always no and will continue to be no.  You need to stop asking me out because it is interfering with our work.  I also would rather only talk about work related things while at the office"

If he corners her in her office. "Bob, I do not have time to talk right now.  Please close the door on your way out of my office."

The "years" thing is eye rolling.  But I agree the LW needs to be direct with this guy first.  Having a "dismissive"/rude attitude with him is not TELLING him, "Don't ask me out again.  Don't come into my office for personal conversations."  Once she tells him, now he is "on notice".  Quite frankly, some people need blunt.  If he's smart, that will stop all of it.  But, if he does it again, it is way more ammo to bring to her boss and would be no question that the issue needs to be escalated.

We had an employee at my work who was a bit like this.  At first, he seemed nice.  He would compliment what I was wearing.  Or how I'd done my hair.  Or my smile.  No "one" compliment was creepy or untoward, but the frequency was.  It was every time he saw me, multiple times a day, there was a compliment.  He never asked me out, but he'd ask me the same personal questions over and over.  Was I married?  Did I have any kids?  Stuff like that.

Dude, seriously.  I promise you the answers for major facts about me did not change from when you asked me last week.  It was like he'd ask the question just to start another conversation with me.  I noticed he did all this with other women in the office also.

It never bothered me enough that I complained to HR.  But there isn't a doubt in my mind that someone else did.  Because, practically overnight, all of it stopped.  Pleasant hello's and how are you doing's...but no more compliments...no more conversation attempts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like I could have seen myself as the LW in my earlier years, wanting to be nice and if someone kept bugging me I'd just try to ignore them because assertiveness in situations like that is not my strong suit. But there's no way I'd put up with it for years. And a few years ago the f*ck off fairy arrived and now I'd have no problem telling him where to go and to leave me alone.