Wedding Woes

You don't have to be graphic to explain yourself.

Dear Prudence,

I am a woman who has always identified as bisexual. I’ve been pretty open with my friends about that fact, although up to this point I’ve only dated men. My parents used to be convinced I was gay because I never brought boyfriends home, but then I dated a man for five years and those comments stopped. That was about five years ago and I haven’t been a relationship since, so between that and the fact that I play football on a women’s team, I think my family is starting to wonder if they were “right.”

I recently started seeing a woman I really like, and I think we might have long-term relationship potential. I know I’m lucky I won’t be disowned if I were to come out, but I do think there would be a lot of speculation about whether I’ve been a lesbian all along. I don’t have a problem with that identity, but it’s not mine! I feel weird about having my past relationships discounted and I’m hoping for a bit of help figuring out what to say if this comes up that doesn’t also feel like TMI for my parents. I can’t just say, “I like having sex with both men and women” like I would to my friends.

–Not Switching Teams, Still Play for Both

Re: You don't have to be graphic to explain yourself.

• Simple words can get LWs point across to parents without being graphic.  PP gave good examples already.
  • My parents are so dense it would require almost exactly what LW wrote for them to get it. Fortunately, I don't need to handle my parents with gloves so saying something like that wouldn't bother them.