Wedding Woes

Bonus: Turn away the kids?

Hey!

My girlfriend’s older sister, Pam, is a terrible person who literally keeps having children so that the rest of the family will financially support her. (She has admitted to this. She smokes and drinks while pregnant, abandons the kids once she has them, gives them to family members, and then periodically drops in to claim them again to get money or to treat them like accessories. If she is sent diapers, etc., she sells them.) Pam embraces a very “woe is me” narrative even though she is fully supported and has been given countless opportunities. Her children range from being only weeks old to being three years old.

Here’s the problem: I’m getting married in three months, and we have to invite her. It’s a small event—only 30 people are coming, and it’s in a tiny room at a high-end restaurant. I can’t imagine spending an evening there with four babies. We sent Pam an invitation with no plus-ones and dropped some hints that no kids can come. She then mentioned a few days ago that she’s going to bring her kids. We then told her flat-out that she can’t bring kids to the wedding, and she said, “We’ll see about that.” I then restated that kids can’t come, and she rolled her eyes.

I already know that this woman’s going to show up with her babies. When she does, can I say something along the lines of, “Sorry, but we’re really not equipped to handle four little ones, would you mind going home and we’ll celebrate just us later?”

Her whole family enables her and there is nothing I can do about that. But I don’t want her ruining our wedding by bringing her kids, making the whole event about her, and acting like she’s some poor, put-upon victim. I don’t have a problem standing up to her, but turning away a woman with four tiny children sounds heartless and will probably look heartless, too. What should I do?

Thanks for listening. Hopefully you have some advice for me!

Re: Bonus: Turn away the kids?

• Let your girlfriend handle her own sister. Yes, she sounds obnoxious and yes she will be your family, but let you gf deal with her now and make the call as to what to do if she shows up with her children. 
  • All of that letter was written as a one sided issue.   What did the FIANCE (not girlfriend) say?  

Ideally I'd say that the venue staff play the bad guy.   But I'd also spread the word well in advance, "Look Mom and Dad.   We planned this event to be an adult evening and we'd like it to stay that way." 

That said, the GF should know what kind of a Pandora's box may be opened there and they need to decide what's worth it.  
  • If you are getting married, this is your fiancee's older sister and your future SIL. And these are your future nieces and nephews.

So I feel really scummy writing this, but this woman is not going to change in 3 months and definitely not for this wedding. I would pay for an overnight babysitter to be with the kids at Grandma and Grandpa's house (keep them safe), tell her there will be an open bar, and tell her you're going to put her up in a near-by hotel. I hate to say it, but she sounds like someone who would take an offer to party over playing the victim. Once she gets too soggy (and surely she will), stick her in a cab and send her to the hotel. 
    This sounds like a much better plan.

But the FI needs to be on board with this and so do her parents.   If they're all enabling pushovers then the LW is going to have to figure out who gets to be the bad guy at the door.