Wedding Woes

A WWWWD (What Would Wedding Woes Do)Question - NWR - Now with a Christmas Update!

banana468banana468 member
First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2017 in Wedding Woes
This is probably long - apologies in advance:

My FIL has worked at the same place for nearly 38 years and his last day there before he retires is the Friday before Christmas.

FIL has said that he doesn't want people to make a big deal about his retirement.

We live about 45 min. from MIL and FIL.   BIL along with his family live a solid 8+ hour drive away.  

BIL has decided that he's going to drive out with SIL, their 3 kids and his FIL to surprise FIL on the last day of work to greet him as he walks out the door and...maybe take him out for a drink?   Then they'd go to MIL and FIL's place where they'd have dinner (or go out on the Friday before Christmas?), and then spend the night.   The following morning they'd get up and do brunch and family time before heading back in the afternoon to their home because Christmas will be hosted back at their house.   They will not be staying for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

MIL is not in great shape physically and she's made this known.   Her knees are BAD to the point that she has replacement surgery scheduled for after the new year (when FIL will be able to have the time to drive her everywhere) and she has someone come over to do house cleaning.   (to give you an idea of how bad this is, my MIL is not a dirty person and they have no pets.   The routine stuff hurts at this point).   

MIL and FIL sleep in separate rooms.   When BIL and his family visit they generally stay in FIL's room because there's plenty of space for them and the kids.  

If you're still following, this means that FIL would be surprised as he walks out the door to a change in his dinner plans, house guests that move him out of his bedroom and a weekend of plans that are uprooted.   It means that MIL will either need to employ the housekeeper to do extra work all while FIL is supposed to be in the dark to have that area ready.   And it means that our weekend prep of preparing for Christmas (we planning to host this year) is now adjusted.   For the last 11 years, we have celebrated Christmas Eve with MIL and FIL.   If these plans happen we probably wouldn't simply because it's a lot of driving and too much on MIL to do this.  Oh, and who knows where their FIL will sleep.   And gift exchanges for Christmas would be shared with BIL's FIL.   He's a great guy but gift exchanges are one of the few times that MIL and FIL have had that time to just be with their family.

DH has emailed BIL to tell him that he think this just isn't a great idea.   MIL has had conversations with BIL and they get heated (both of them have a way of getting worked up with each other) and BIL has actually called MIL selfish.   I have tried to stay out of this with BIL and SIL but if my opinion is requested I will say as nicely as possible that this idea is so bad that good ideas aren't even visible in its rear view mirror.

Last night I was talking to DH and said, "What about just telling his dad what's up?   Then FIL can figure out if this idea smells worse than 4 day old fish or then HE can be helping MIL so she doesn't need to keep this surprise."  

I am angry on behalf of my MIL and would hope that BIL would consider adjusting his plans to be announced, not a surprise and after Christmas but I think unless he's flat out addressed intervention style he's going to refuse to accept that this is a terrible idea. 

If you're still following....WWWWD? 

Re: A WWWWD (What Would Wedding Woes Do)Question - NWR - Now with a Christmas Update!

• Gosh, that sounds like a crappy situation. But yay for your FIL retiring! And starting his retirement right before Christmas sounds wonderful :)

Did your BIL respond when your H emailed him?  I would mention the "surprise" to your FIL just to get his thoughts. If he's the kind of guy who likes his routine, it might not be a great idea, given everything that seems to go along with a visit from your BIL. It sounds like this plan is upending everyone's lives, and BIL isn't getting it. If FIL doesn't want the surprise, you could celebrate his retirement over Christmas.
  • Gosh, that sounds like a crappy situation. But yay for your FIL retiring! And starting his retirement right before Christmas sounds wonderful :)

Did your BIL respond when your H emailed him?  I would mention the "surprise" to your FIL just to get his thoughts. If he's the kind of guy who likes his routine, it might not be a great idea, given everything that seems to go along with a visit from your BIL. It sounds like this plan is upending everyone's lives, and BIL isn't getting it. If FIL doesn't want the surprise, you could celebrate his retirement over Christmas.
    BIL did not respond to DH.   I assume he read DH's email and then two days later he and MIL had their heated discussion where MIL was told that SHE was selfish. (eyeroll)

I agree that if we are going to celebrate it, it should be near Christmas but not during it.   And post-Christmas is far easier travel-wise than pre-Christmas.

Did I mention he wants to pit stop in Manhattan the night before coming to see FIL?   Gridlock alert days with 3 kids 5 and under sound like a blast.
  • Yeah, I've spoiled terrible surprises before when they were really not going to be appreciated by the recipient. Sorry not sorry. FIL can then mentally prepare himself and help MIL while still being "surprised," or make it publicly known that this isn't something he wants (which outs you guys, but whatever - I'd be willing to take that fall for the ILs).
  • Yeah, I've spoiled terrible surprises before when they were really not going to be appreciated by the recipient. Sorry not sorry. FIL can then mentally prepare himself and help MIL while still being "surprised," or make it publicly known that this isn't something he wants (which outs you guys, but whatever - I'd be willing to take that fall for the ILs).
    That's where I am.   I also don't want to go against DH but I have zero bad feelings about not keeping this secret when the only person it benefits is BIL.

Which makes me wonder, do you think DH should basically say, "You either need to tell Dad your plans or I'm telling dad your plans?"  
  • I think this sounds like a bad idea. When my FIL retired he didn't want anything right away. He and MIL went to dinner that night, and we joined them a few weeks later. She did plan a big surprise party a few months later. 

Could your DH ask his Dad what he wants to do for his retirement? Many people want to celebrate, but a lot don't. 
  • banana468 said:
    Yeah, I've spoiled terrible surprises before when they were really not going to be appreciated by the recipient. Sorry not sorry. FIL can then mentally prepare himself and help MIL while still being "surprised," or make it publicly known that this isn't something he wants (which outs you guys, but whatever - I'd be willing to take that fall for the ILs).
    That's where I am.   I also don't want to go against DH but I have zero bad feelings about not keeping this secret when the only person it benefits is BIL.

Which makes me wonder, do you think DH should basically say, "I feel very strongly that springing this on Dad is a bad idea. You either need to tell ask Dad if he's okay with your plans or I'm telling dad your plans?"  
    I think that reiterating why he's doing it (not about or on behalf of "selfish" MIL) may help her.

Also, phrasing it such that he needs to be open to Dad's input (i.e. not telling him "We're driving down to see you," but rather asking, "We were hoping to drive down to see you, would you enjoy that?") makes it obvious that this needs to be about what Dad would actually like.
  • banana468 said:
    Yeah, I've spoiled terrible surprises before when they were really not going to be appreciated by the recipient. Sorry not sorry. FIL can then mentally prepare himself and help MIL while still being "surprised," or make it publicly known that this isn't something he wants (which outs you guys, but whatever - I'd be willing to take that fall for the ILs).

Which makes me wonder, do you think DH should basically say, "I feel very strongly that springing this on Dad is a bad idea. You either need to tell ask Dad if he's okay with your plans or I'm telling dad your plans?"  
    I think that reiterating why he's doing it (not about or on behalf of "selfish" MIL) may help her.

Also, phrasing it such that he needs to be open to Dad's input (i.e. not telling him "We're driving down to see you," but rather asking, "We were hoping to drive down to see you, would you enjoy that?") makes it obvious that this needs to be about what Dad would actually like.
    I like that phrasing.   FIL has said he doesn't want anything.   BIL thinks that FIL is only saying that because he doesn't want people to go to trouble to do something.

I honestly think that this is a lot for him and doing something is really not what he wants.   
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I like that phrasing.   FIL has said he doesn't want anything.   BIL thinks that FIL is only saying that because he doesn't want people to go to trouble to do something.

I honestly think that this is a lot for him and doing something is really not what he wants.   
    I mean, I am not a big "celebrate me" person, definitely don't like having my space invaded without warning, and beyond that, he may have mixed feelings about retiring itself - sure, it's probably a good thing with many good things about it, but it's still a big life change to process. Celebratory dinner with everyone and everyone sleeping in my house is unlikely to be the way I feel about it the moment I leave work. I think you're probably right, because I don't think it's a reach for FIL to be being honest about this.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I mean, I am not a big "celebrate me" person, definitely don't like having my space invaded without warning, and beyond that, he may have mixed feelings about retiring itself - sure, it's probably a good thing with many good things about it, but it's still a big life change to process. Celebratory dinner with everyone and everyone sleeping in my house is unlikely to be the way I feel about it the moment I leave work. I think you're probably right, because I don't think it's a reach for FIL to be being honest about this.
    And sleeping in his room!   So, "Congratulations!   We're using your bedroom tonight.   You're cool on the couch right dude?" 
  • I think this sounds like a bad idea. When my FIL retired he didn't want anything right away. He and MIL went to dinner that night, and we joined them a few weeks later. She did plan a big surprise party a few months later. 

Could your DH ask his Dad what he wants to do for his retirement? Many people want to celebrate, but a lot don't. 
    This is another good point. I forgot that when MIL retired a couple years ago, it took her a few weeks to kind of....accept it. (I think that's the wrong word, but you get the sentiment.) She had been a teacher her whole life, and her identity was totally wrapped up in that. She needed time to process the fact that her life was changing in a major way, and I don't think she would have enjoyed having us come over like "BAM! HEY! We're going to dinner tonight! SURPRISE!" and we live like 10 minutes away...in our own house. 
  • I think the worst part is the sleeping in his room thing.  You can't surprise someone with that.  It's incredibly rude to assume that it's ok to sleep in his room.  If they truly wanted to surprise him (and not inconvenience him), they would get a VRBO or hotel and stay far far out of the way, at the bare minimum.

• Ro041 said:
    I think the worst part is the sleeping in his room thing.  You can't surprise someone with that.  It's incredibly rude to assume that it's ok to sleep in his room.  If they truly wanted to surprise him (and not inconvenience him), they would get a VRBO or hotel and stay far far out of the way, at the bare minimum.
    I agree.   But with that comes the part where it's more convenient for how they stay and less convenient for time spent with MIL.   KWIM?  

It's one of those times where I feel like you can make the argument that sure, a hotel is better because it's less work to prepare for house guests.   

But what's also better is traveling out at a time that is mutually agreeable to everyone you are affecting.  
  • Can you appeal to the wife too?  She may be able to help stop this awful plan. would mil spoil it? If neither of those things I'd be telling on December 1
  • 6fsn said:
    Can you appeal to the wife too?  She may be able to help stop this awful plan. would mil spoil it? If neither of those things I'd be telling on December 1
    If I get SIL on the phone if this comes up I will try to talk to her.   Thus far I'm trying to respect DH by not going out of my way to specifically bring it up....at least not yet. 

I don't think MIL will spoil it.   I think she's finding herself stuck.   And her options are to upset her child and hurt her relationship with her grandchildren or go along with this charade.    It's why I think DH needs to step in.
  • "I don't approve of surprises. The pleasure is never enhanced, and the inconvenience is considerable." - Mr. Knightley, Emma
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I think if your husband doesn't want to do anything about it and your MIL won't do anything else, then you should let it go. Make the holiday plans that make sense for you and don't worry about people who you don't control. 
  • I think if your husband doesn't want to do anything about it and your MIL won't do anything else, then you should let it go. Make the holiday plans that make sense for you and don't worry about people who you don't control. 
    I read this and at first had an argumentative reaction but then realized that it could be a decent approach.   Of course, what I also then need to say to DH is, "Stop complaining that your brother's ideas suck if you won't do anything about them. " 
  • UPDATE: 
    -My BIL somehow found out yesterday that my FIL won't be working on Friday and now there's a big fan with excrement all over it.   He's royally bent out of shape that his surprise won't go his way.
    -BIL now somehow thinks he knows what DH and I are thinking  and that MIL has somehow convinced us to do things her way like some bizarre cult leader (and if there's any one way to royally piss me off it's to presume you know what I'm thinking and / or believe that I don't know how to think for myself.  It's BEYOND insulting.)

-He's now in full-on martyr mode about how wanted he is despite my FIL saying, "I really hope you can put all of this behind you because I really want to see you for Christmas." 

I'm begging DH to attempt to smooth things out with his brother even if it's just to say "We get that you're upset and while we may not agree with you, you we do want to see you and our kids would like to see their cousins.   Please don't let this stop the plans." 

I am SO GLAD I married the brother I did. 
  • Ugh that is the worst.  I hate family drama around the holidays.  I hope they work it out and that you can have a nice Christmas.  Poor in-laws....

• Ro041 said:
    Ugh that is the worst.  I hate family drama around the holidays.  I hope they work it out and that you can have a nice Christmas.  Poor in-laws....
    I am SO irritated with BIL but I'm going to bite my tongue and simply hope we can all move on.   My kids need the relationship with their cousins.   My FIL just wants all to be happy.  He really feels caught in the middle.

I told DH and FIL today, "Hey, when you make plans in a vacuum, they're liable to suck." 
  • Sometimes people get an idea in their head and don't consider anyone else's feelings.  Do you know if BIL is still insisting on going down there this weekend?

• Ro041 said:
    Sometimes people get an idea in their head and don't consider anyone else's feelings.  Do you know if BIL is still insisting on going down there this weekend?
    They're at least going to NYC.  

He threatened to just go see FIL on his new last day of Thurs.   My FIL told him that doing that would just upset him (FIL) and it's not fair to anyone. 

We shall see what happens.  I'm guessing that I'm going to have to get out my high heels so I can tip toe around the eggshells. 
  • Ugh at least FIL was able to express HIS wishes about his last days of work and hopefully BIL respects it and puts his hurt aside.  

• I don't even understand what the problem is.  Is it that the BIL and his family visit is no longer a surprise?  So now they don't want to go at all?  Is it that he can't "surprise" FIL on the last day of work?

Either way, it sounds like BIL is upset over something stupid.  His parents have said they really want him and his family to come for Christmas.  Great!  Isn't that really all that needs to be said?  Who cares if some/all of the surprise is ruined.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't even understand what the problem is.  Is it that the BIL and his family visit is no longer a surprise?  So now they don't want to go at all?  Is it that he can't "surprise" FIL on the last day of work?

Either way, it sounds like BIL is upset over something stupid.  His parents have said they really want him and his family to come for Christmas.  Great!  Isn't that really all that needs to be said?  Who cares if some/all of the surprise is ruined.

Yup.  

My BIL is....just behaving like a petulant child.
  • I feel bad for your FIL; he was clear what he wanted and BIL is making it all about him. Retirement is a big deal.
  • I feel bad for your FIL; he was clear what he wanted and BIL is making it all about him. Retirement is a big deal.
    I feel really bad for both of them.

My BIL was still welcomed to my IL's with his wife and children and his MIL.   My FIL and MIL still wanted to see them even if it was just for the overnight and until the early afternoon before they had to leave. 

From what I'm getting the only thing my BIL can be upset about is that his surprise is spoiled and he doesn't get to walk out the door with FIL on his last day - a plan that was ill-advised from the start but he didn't want to hear it.

Evidently last night he lectured my MIL for 30 minutes to the point that she was in tears.   I've had plenty of issues with MIL over the years but lately we're fine and I know that she's getting older and her physical health isn't great.   FIL called BIL back after he witnessed MIL crying and got BIL's VM.   Evidently in such VM he told BIL that it's completely unacceptable to do this and well, if that's how he wants to be have he can go eff himself. 

DH left BIL a VM last night saying that we were still hoping to see them - and we were.   While I don't care for my BIL's attitude he's still family and his kids are my only niece and nephews.     BIL said he'd sleep on it.

If BIL doesn't make amends using the words "I'm sorry" without the word "but" in his sentences there's going to be a cloud forever hanging over my FIL's retirement. 

And this from a guy who is Catholic and knows his commandments.   Pretty sure screaming at your parents isn't keeping the 4th one.

• banana468 said:
    I feel bad for your FIL; he was clear what he wanted and BIL is making it all about him. Retirement is a big deal.
    I feel really bad for both of them.

My BIL was still welcomed to my IL's with his wife and children and his MIL.   My FIL and MIL still wanted to see them even if it was just for the overnight and until the early afternoon before they had to leave. 

From what I'm getting the only thing my BIL can be upset about is that his surprise is spoiled and he doesn't get to walk out the door with FIL on his last day - a plan that was ill-advised from the start but he didn't want to hear it.

Evidently last night he lectured my MIL for 30 minutes to the point that she was in tears.   I've had plenty of issues with MIL over the years but lately we're fine and I know that she's getting older and her physical health isn't great.   FIL called BIL back after he witnessed MIL crying and got BIL's VM.   Evidently in such VM he told BIL that it's completely unacceptable to do this and well, if that's how he wants to be have he can go eff himself. 

DH left BIL a VM last night saying that we were still hoping to see them - and we were.   While I don't care for my BIL's attitude he's still family and his kids are my only niece and nephews.     BIL said he'd sleep on it.

If BIL doesn't make amends using the words "I'm sorry" without the word "but" in his sentences there's going to be a cloud forever hanging over my FIL's retirement. 

And this from a guy who is Catholic and knows his commandments.   Pretty sure screaming at your parents isn't keeping the 4th one.

That sounds awful.

And the bolded; I just don't get how BIL doesn't see that this isn't about him, it's about FIL and MIL. 

I think in this situation, and really all situations, you respect the person experiencing the big life event and their feelings about it. Yes other people will have feelings too, but they are less important than the person experiencing said life event. 
  • We are HOPING that he's slept on it and that SIL is able to talk him into this.   The feedback today has been quiet.   We'll see what happens.  

I can tell you that regardless of how things shake out I've lost a lot of respect for my BIL.  
  • BIL is being an asshat about a big life changing event that isn't even his!  When my dad retired, he worked overnights, I got him a nice bottle of port wine.  I then left it out on the kitchen table after he left for work.  So the first thing he saw when he came home, would be his bottle of port.  I'm not even sure if he opened it then or waited until he and my mom could enjoy it.

Then add in Christmas and this is a huge debacle that is all of BILs making.  He then makes it worse by berating MIL over the phone.  I'm glad FIL called him back and told him he was being an asshat. 

Also, why did BIL get mad at MIL, that FIL won't work on Friday?  Does MIL make his work schedule????

Lastly, I also tell people I married the good brother!