Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

how early is to early!!

hello ladies i need some help i am having my ceremony in a church and the reception in another place. I wanted to have my ceremony at 1:00 so i have enough time to take pic. at different locations and take pic. in my reception room while its still empty. Many people have been telling me that if the ceremony is at 1:00 and the reception is at 5:00 then no one will go to the ceremony..i just need someone else is input thanks guys.

Re: how early is to early!!

• I think that gap is way too long.  Could your photographer take pics of the reception venue before the wedding?  We're having about 1 1/2hr gap inbetween the ceremony & reception (for pics) but that's when cocktail hour will be.  I would say if you really want pictures in more than 1 or 2 places you should do them before the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is a gap that large the norm in your area? Around here this is what I am used to (for Catholic weddings at least) It gives us time to change clothes from the ceremony to the reception and maybe grab a light lunch. My ceremony is at 2 and the reception starts at 6. I've also never been to a wedding where the B&G didn't attend the cocktail hr (I didn't even hear of that until TK) That said, I am sure not all of your guests will go to the ceremony and I wouldn't worry about it. But only you know your guests and what they are used to, also you have to consider out of towners and where they go during this gap. (I only have 5 total OOT's and they're going to my grandmothers house right down the street from the church)
  • I recently went to a reception that was 5 hours after the ceremony.  The ceremony however was immediate family only and therfore the people that they knew would be at both events regardless of a time gap.  If you insist on having all your guests at the ceremony and reception, maybe have a cocktail hour that preceeds the reception in an entry way of the reception hall, or have the reception pictures before the ceremony.  Another idea, have the reception hall pictures after the ceremony, but before any others and that way your guests can start showing up at the reception venue a little earlier (3-4).  Or encourage them to check out a local pub or attraction between your ceremony and reception...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_early-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5511c113-217c-44f9-b907-415a5cfd2390Post:8ec2eefd-1235-433b-8244-83ff9432e28f">how early is to early!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]hello ladies i need some help i am having my ceremony in a church and the reception in another place. I wanted to have my ceremony at 1:00 so i have enough time to take pic. at different locations and take pic. in my reception room while its still empty. <strong>Many people have been telling me that if the ceremony is at 1:00 and the reception is at 5:00 then no one will go to the ceremony</strong>..i just need someone else is input thanks guys.
    Posted by christina medeiros[/QUOTE]
    They're absolutely correct.

Gaps are bad enough when it's for religious reasons, but when it's just so that you have more time to take pictures?  People will be talking about your wedding for years, and not saying nice things.  Reception immediately follows ceremony.  If you need more than an hour for pictures, do them before the ceremony.  Don't keep your guests waiting while you gratify your own vanity.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • There just isn't any good reason for a gap that long.  The message it clearly sends to your guests is that photos are more important than their comfort.  I'd give serious consideration to even attending a wedding with a gap like that.

In order to get ready to go to the wedding, including dressing and transportation, I'm going to start getting ready by 11 am.  That means I can't really do anything in the morning.  Then I go to the wedding, and cool my heels for 4 hours?  And then another 4-5 hours at the reception?  You're asking people to give 11-12 hours for your wedding so that you can have interesting photos.  Ummmm. Not for me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • As a gap bride myself I understand the concern. We are having a Catholic, non mass ceremony and because of the 5:00pm mass we were told we can start no later than 2:00pm. We are hoping our Father will be nice and allow us to push that till 2:30 since we are not having a mass. Either way our reception won't begin until 5:00pm and the ceremony will only take about 45 minutes. One way or another we will have a gap.

Thankfully for us, 95% of our guest are from out of town and will have rooms in the same hotel as the reception. So the gap will give them time to either return to their rooms or check into their rooms. I actually have a feeling it will be a nice break for them. That's my hope anyway. We will have OOT bags placed in each room so hopefully our guest will forgive our gap.
  • I am in a similar situation, and in my circle of friends and family it is definitely the norm.  Our ceremony will start at 1:00 or 1:30, with the cocktail hour starting at 5:00.  The reception is about 25-30 mins from the church (not ideal, but the reception hall fit our budget!).  While we do some pictures we will have a reception at the church for people to get something to eat and have something to do before cocktail hour, and also for any church congregation members who will be attending the ceremony (officially uninvited, but I'm sure some will show up) to join in a bit of festivities.  We'll have snacks (veggies/dip, sandwiches, dessert trays) and a keg and some bottles of homemade wine to keep people occupied for a bit and help to fill the gap.
  • mgietler76  that is interesting that you have never been to a wedding that the bride and groom did not attend the cocktail hour,  I have never been to a wedding where the bride and groom did attend the cocktail hour.

For me as a guest I dont enjoy the wait in between, as a bride I am choosing to have a half an hour between my ceremony and reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards