Wedding Woes

It's Really Cold (I guess it's also Friday)

Okay, so it's really effing cold in Buffalo. We have a real feel of -18 and I'm over it (it's supposed to last until Sunday). And the dog is looking at us like it's our fault he can only go outside a few minutes at a time. 

What's on tap for this weekend? No plans today or tomorrow, but Sunday is Bills playoffs!! 

Re: It's Really Cold (I guess it's also Friday)

• It felt like -40 when I woke up {no conversion needed ...}
    It currently feels like -37 {ooh warm ....}

Monday will be positively balmy at -5! Lol

M has a cold, so idk how our plans for this weekend are gonna go. I told him we can't reschedule Saturday since it's not just us being affected. It's xmas at my aunt's with my mum and nana. And we now have to do groceries tomorrow morning .... guh

I'm just hoping M can muster some energy Sunday to do even some of the plugs. We're running out of time, enbridge comes on the 16th
  • School closed today.  The actual high is 7 today, but who knows with wind chill.  I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. The kids wanted to sled.  I said nope, but I'll still make hot chocolate this afternoon. 

I cleaned out the pantry this am.  I'm happy to report the only thing I had to toss was half a box of cereal, a mashed breakfast bar, and 2 kitkats (they were 3 years past best buy date!!!).  DH thinks I waste food, but he has no clue.  He also has no clue how much I save him on groceries. 

This weekend 6let has his first basketball game.  It could be interesting since practice was cancelled tonight.  Sunday morning soccer training starts again.  It seems soooooooooo soon.  

• We are currently at -3 with a windchill of -12. Good thing my school district is closed for break or I'd be trying to work with a toddler this week which would not be good. 
  • It was -3 when I put DefConn on the bus this morning, on time.  My school district gives zero fucks and it has to be some extreme shit to delay and the apocalypse to cancel school.  I have mixed feelings about it.  ;) But I warm up the car and drive him down and he's only out there for 30 seconds to run to the bus. 

It's 6 degrees now.  DH has a lady who works for him that has had her heat go out and she cannot afford to fix it.   We gave her one of our infared heaters.  I told him to tell her to keep it.  We can afford a new one.  I wish we could afford to do more, but I know how much it can cost to fix furnaces/heat pumps...and we just don't have it. 

I work tomorrow.  I'm going out for brunch and shopping with my sisters on Sunday.  It's a belated bday thing for my younger sister.  She's been dying to go to my fave local boutique, so we're taking her there and another place my older sister likes.  ;)  I told DH I want a roaring fire tonight.  I need to feel warm without wearing 5,000 layers, LOL. 

• edited January 2018
    OH! Side note: I'll post a separate post on Monday, but we're finding out the gender Monday!!!

We'll play a game monday - what's the gender of Baby Kitten lol

edit:
    I'll post photo of the bump and ultrasound to help you ladies out and I can answer questions about myself if that helps you decide :)

I may know by then anyways
  • mrsconn23 said:
    My school district gives zero fucks and it has to be some extreme shit to delay and the apocalypse to cancel school.
    You're in luck. There's extreme weather warning here so school would be closed ;)
  • It was NINE degrees when I got in the car.   Chiquita has no school again but the daycare opened late so I got them going.

HOWEVER, the battery on my minivan has been funkier than a 70's station and my car WOULD NOT START.   Luckily we have a battery pack for this sort of occasion.   

So who has two thumbs (even if she couldn't feel them) and jump started her own car this morning?     THIS GAL! 
  • We are currently at 12 F with a real feel of -13 F. Brrrrrrr!

We ended up with a total of 17" of snow from yesterday's storm. Now to batten down the hatches because the deep freeze is setting in. It's going to be colder here than on Mars. 

Working from home again today, which basically just means checking/responding to email and Knotting. 
  • freezing! -7 here!

I have to take the tree down this weekend.  Any takers on helping me? I think this will be a nice relaxing weekend.  Maybe a movie or two.  Cooking.  baking. Cleaning. 
    @Misskittydanger, can't wait for those results Monday!
    @banana468, you are my hero. I don't know if I could have done that.
    @mrsconn23, how awful for her.  You're very nice to give her the heater, though.  That's pretty much all you can do! 

• @CharmedPam same! Monday I'll also be 5 months until my due date :)
  • @6fsn - chocolate chip pancakes and hot chocolate sound so good! 

Mostly SSDD around here. I'm going to a health store on my lunch today to buy some stuff to make body butter and body scrub. I'm really excited.

Next weekend we're transitioning babybelle to a toddler bed so he's used to it when futurebelle arrives. So this weekend we're installing tamper resistant outlets, adding bumpers to furniture corners, securing drawers, and anchoring stuff to the walls. I really hope he's not a wanderer, but you never know.
    *********************************************************************************

• A balmy 1 degree here, real feel is currently -19.  It has to be -15 to -20 real feel for school to close.  Let's just say it was projected to be so cold here at bus stop time that H's school was called at 5pm yesterday!

We have a wedding tonight, which is great!  Except it's off-site and I don't even want to think about how cold it's going to be for loading up the truck and taking the trash out to the dumpster at this site around 11pm.

Campaign photo shoot tomorrow, and I have no idea what to wear for the family pics.  At least the high tomorrow is 12, which is close to what we had for the wedding when we took photos outside so we know it's manageable.  No real plans otherwise for the weekend.  

@MissKittyDanger yay for gender reveal!!
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    My school district gives zero fucks and it has to be some extreme shit to delay and the apocalypse to cancel school.
    You're in luck. There's extreme weather warning here so school would be closed ;)
    They don't close the schools for extreme cold. They only keep the kids inside for recesses. 

They will only close schools if buses don't run. 

ETA: Also, our kids don't go back until Monday and I'm hoping that it's not a snowday. 
  • Yikes on the weather for so many of you.  I'm horrified at the thought and shivering vicariously.  @CharmedPam, if I could teleport to help you, I would.  But not when it is -7!

@MissKittyDanger, looking forward to hearing if it is a KittenGirl or KittenBoy!  When we're talking to our dog about the cat (because, yeah, we do that, lol), we refer to her as "your Kitten Sister".

@kimmiinthemitten, yay campaign photos!  My curiousity question, are the pets going to be in it also, lol?

I just heard some shocking, GTFO news from my H a little while ago (not about us).  Are you all aware that Capital One THOROUGHLY EFFED UP people's checked accounts nationwide?  They accidentally double-charged everyone's debits in the month of December (not sure the date frame, I'm assuming it was only the last week or two).

So, if anyone has a Capital One checking account and was not aware of this, go check your activity pronto!  The problem still hasn't been resolved but, according to the article my H saw, it is "all hands on deck" over there.

It did affect one of our tenants.  That is why her rent is late and how we found out.  But H double checked it was legit info and it is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  was it just checking and not credit cards or loans?  I should log in anyways and check!

We're attempting to do one on the sofa with Rosie.  We're still not a point where the dog and cats cohabitate nicely yet; unless there's a treat and they're all gathered around waiting.
  • Yikes on the weather for so many of you.  I'm horrified at the thought and shivering vicariously.  @CharmedPam, if I could teleport to help you, I would.  But not when it is -7!

@MissKittyDanger, looking forward to hearing if it is a KittenGirl or KittenBoy!  When we're talking to our dog about the cat (because, yeah, we do that, lol), we refer to her as "your Kitten Sister".

@kimmiinthemitten, yay campaign photos!  My curiousity question, are the pets going to be in it also, lol?

I just heard some shocking, GTFO news from my H a little while ago (not about us).  Are you all aware that Capital One THOROUGHLY EFFED UP people's checked accounts nationwide?  They accidentally double-charged everyone's debits in the month of December (not sure the date frame, I'm assuming it was only the last week or two).

So, if anyone has a Capital One checking account and was not aware of this, go check your activity pronto!  The problem still hasn't been resolved but, according to the article my H saw, it is "all hands on deck" over there.

It did affect one of our tenants.  That is why her rent is late and how we found out.  But H double checked it was legit info and it is.

what is it with banks these days?  I have a capital one credit account with them.  It's my first and thus my oldest account but I dont want to use it anymore. I opened a card with better rewards.  Should I leave it open or close it? Does it impact credit score that bad? Not that it matters, I just bought a car and wont be doing any big purchases for awhile anyway.

• @short+sassy  was it just checking and not credit cards or loans?  I should log in anyways and check!

We're attempting to do one on the sofa with Rosie.  We're still not a point where the dog and cats cohabitate nicely yet; unless there's a treat and they're all gathered around waiting.

I am almost positive it does not affect credit cards or loans.  I think it's just checking accounts.  But it wouldn't hurt to check.  I have credit cards with Capital One also.  I paid off the small balance on one of them a couple days ago and there was nothing unusual; however, I also don't think I charged to that card in December.

I think that would be SO cute to include Rosie!  More importantly, I think including a pet (especially a dog) gives a subconscious impression of warmth and loyalty.  Though, if I remember correctly, you used to work on campaigns.  So I'd imagine you know way more about "candidate image" than I would, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 that's so nice of you guys to help her with the heater. A small gesture from you guys but I bet it means a lot for her

@short+sassy that's crazy on the bank. If I'm understanding correctly, if I have a $100 payment that came out of my account they actually ran it twice so $200 came out? 

We really need to take our Christmas decorations down. Usually would be down by now but there just doesn't seem to be time. Or the motivation to do it when the time is there. 
  • @short+sassy  I refer to my cats as siblings {sometimes it's a little more flowers in the attic than I would like .... but siblings} and my mum refers to her cat as my sister {I call her sisfur}
    I also keep putting my belly near the cats to see if either cats or baby will respond. Baby also has a little hat with kitten ears because the new kitten coming home is hairless, but if it has ears the cats might be a little better ;)
  • kvruns said:
    @mrsconn23 that's so nice of you guys to help her with the heater. A small gesture from you guys but I bet it means a lot for her

@short+sassy that's crazy on the bank. If I'm understanding correctly, if I have a $100 payment that came out of my account they actually ran it twice so $200 came out? 

We really need to take our Christmas decorations down. Usually would be down by now but there just doesn't seem to be time. Or the motivation to do it when the time is there. 

Yep.  That is also my understanding.  For every single debit.  During the height of Christmas shopping.  And for Capital One customers who rent, like my tenant, right before Jan. rent is due.  It's a perfect storm of major suck.

For the little part I can do, we already told that tenant we would waive her late fees if she gives us the rent within a day or two of her account being restored.  I primarily only have late fees so people handle their budgets appropriately and/or don't lollygag with it.  She's a great tenant who normally pays her rent on time and I know what happened is outside of her control.

@short+sassy  I refer to my cats as siblings {sometimes it's a little more flowers in the attic than I would like .... but siblings} and my mum refers to her cat as my sister {I call her sisfur}
    I also keep putting my belly near the cats to see if either cats or baby will respond. Baby also has a little hat with kitten ears because the new kitten coming home is hairless, but if it has ears the cats might be a little better ;)

I love Sisfur nickname, lol.

The little hat sounds SUPER cute!  I know it is 4 months away, but I demand pics at some point after that, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  100% yes will post. My mum's cat {who's real name is Storm} is often called Dusty Springboard because 9/10 she walks into the living room covered in dust and has this weird habit of just twitching as if she turns into a spring lmao
  • Chiming in on the cold temps - it was -14 when I got on the bus this morning.  Not much a wind, so that helped not freeze my face off.  Is it sad that it didn't feel too bad??  We've had like 15 days of temps below zero.  It's supposed to be in the double digits above zero tomorrow and in the 20's by Sunday - woohoo!
    Our city has opened a warming shelter overnight for homeless and displaced folks.  I can't imagine surviving on the streets in these temps, even during the day.

Tonight we are going to hear a friend play music.  He's moving to Nashville and so won't be in our area anymore.  Interestingly, he's moving to Music City because of love not music.  He reconnected to a past love - it rekindled and they got married over New Years.  She lives in Nashville.

Saturday we have DH's family Christmas.  They invited my Mom to come along so was nice.

Sunday is church, taking down Christmas decorations and relaxing.   Then back to work on Monday.

Stay warm out there.
  • The RealFeel here is now a balmy -9 F. 

I totally sabotaged myself earlier because now I am on a huge deadline with a really quick turnaround. So much for an easy day working from home...
  • MNNEBride said:
    Chiming in on the cold temps - it was -14 when I got on the bus this morning.  Not much a wind, so that helped not freeze my face off.  Is it sad that it didn't feel too bad??  We've had like 15 days of temps below zero.  It's supposed to be in the double digits above zero tomorrow and in the 20's by Sunday - woohoo!
    It was so hot in the venue for the wedding last night, that running out to our truck felt good.  For a solid 90 seconds, then it was too cold to be without a coat LOL.