Wedding Woes

Completely NWR or NWWR - Coat problems

I want to buy a new coat and I'm stuck figuring out whether or not I want a hooded one with or without fur. 

Here are my favorites.   I realize the bottom two are nearly the same damn thing.  So knotties - if you feel like, it help me out.   What are your favorites? 

Re: Completely NWR or NWWR - Coat problems

• I like the one with the fur around the hood. Of the other too, I like the first one - more of a gray. I always go with black so it is something a little different.
  • I like the one with the fur. I have a Calvin Klein I got last year at Macy's; it's mid calf length and has the fur lining, and I LOVE it. 

The top one also looks a big longer, which I really love having a longer winter coat when it is extra cold (like the entire last week). 
  • edited January 2018
    I'm not a fan of the fur (or faux fur). I have a 3/4 length northface one with fur - when the hood is up, the fur obstructs my vision and when the hood is down, it's just extra bulk. But I'm 80% function and 20% fashion when it comes to outerwear, so that's JMHO.

If they're comparably warm, I like the one with diagonal stripes. It seems like it would be slimming. 

ETA: annnndddd I just realized the one with the diagonal stitching is the one with fur. I need to go home. But yea, I guess I like different things about both styles.
    *********************************************************************************

• I love all the coats, but my coat has faux fur and I adore it. Some how makes it more cozy?

I vote 1
  • 2 or 3. I don’t like the fur- I think it starts to look worn much sooner than the rest of the coat. 
  • I want coat #2 myself.  I've had my eye on it for awhile, so it gets my vote. 
  • I'm so on the fence between 1 and 2
  • #2. The fur around the face would drive me nuts. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    I have a fur hood.  It's great when I'm actually wearing the hood.  However, when I don't wear the hood, that extra layer of fur makes the hood very cumbersome around my neck and the back of my head.  It drives me nuts!  I tried to remove the entire hood, as many of my other coats have a zip on/off hood feature.  I was very aggravated when I realized I neglected to check this feature prior to purchase.  I begrudgingly "lived with it" for a while.  Upon closer inspection ("This hood has to have a hidden zipper somewhere!") I realized that although the hood was sewn on, the faux fur did in fact have a removable feature.  I love it a lot more now!

ETA.....if you need this for lengthy outdoor time, the bottom two with the coverage over the zipper is a bonus to consider.  You'd be surprised at the  difference an "exposed" zipper versus a covered zipper will offer in additional warmth.
  • What about a coat with a removable hood? I know it's not one of the options, but if you want to keep looking you could get the best of both worlds that way. I do like the first option the best, personally, especially if you have rough winters.

•  My hood has removable faux fur so see if that’s an option. I like having the faux fur especially in the really bad snow (I take transit and walk) because it takes the brunt of the snow. 
  • I'll double check the specs.   They're all Columbia
  • If the fur real or fake? I'm personally not a fan of fake fur. I have a long down coat similar to these that came with a detachable fake fur ruff, and I took it off and don't even know where it is. 

Personally, I'd choose the middle one without the fur. I like the lighter color. 
  • The fur is fake.   I try to avoid real fur unless I know it's sourced with the use of the entire animal (ex: those I know who hunt will use all the animal).

The hoods come off but the fur remains.  

Most likely I will wear these in and out of the car, for travel if heading to one of my companies offices located in super cold areas of the country and when playing with the kiddos.  If we head to NYC or Boston to walk around I'd probably go with one of these over wool   
  • MobKaz said:
    I have a fur hood.  It's great when I'm actually wearing the hood.  However, when I don't wear the hood, that extra layer of fur makes the hood very cumbersome around my neck and the back of my head.  It drives me nuts!  I tried to remove the entire hood, as many of my other coats have a zip on/off hood feature.  I was very aggravated when I realized I neglected to check this feature prior to purchase.  I begrudgingly "lived with it" for a while.  Upon closer inspection ("This hood has to have a hidden zipper somewhere!") I realized that although the hood was sewn on, the faux fur did in fact have a removable feature.  I love it a lot more now!

ETA.....if you need this for lengthy outdoor time, the bottom two with the coverage over the zipper is a bonus to consider.  You'd be surprised at the  difference an "exposed" zipper versus a covered zipper will offer in additional warmth.
    I will keep this in mind if I have to buy a coat when I spend more time during the winter with my grandbabies in Chicago! Good to know.