Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How do I incorporate 12 nieces and nephews in the ceremony? HELP!

My fiance and I each have 6 nieces and nephews ranging from age 12 (girl) down to 3-3 year olds. I'd love to have all of them play some part in the day but I already have 12 bridesmaids and feel silly making it some kind of parade leading me into the church. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? My wedding's in June so I've gotta come up with something relatively quick. Thanks so much!

Re: How do I incorporate 12 nieces and nephews in the ceremony? HELP!

• Maybe have them all blow bubbles/hold sparklers/toss petals as you leave the church?  It would be hard to get 12 kids gathered in the front of the church for the ceremony, just logistically and because of the amount of space in most churches.

You could also honor them with a special 'neices and nephews dance'- play a fun song for them during the reception.

If you want them to be marked as guests of honor but not given any actual 'job' you could also get them all a corsage/boutinnere to wear.  It makes them look special but doesn't but pressure on them to perform.
  • Just let them be guests.  Maybe give them special gifts at the reception.  They don't need to have jobs for the day.  Dealing with that many children could be like herding cats.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • That's way too many so I would just have them as guests...maybe have them come a little early and take pictures with you and/or stay after to take a picture.  If I were at a wedding and 12 kids came in I would think to myself "wth is going on here." 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • You don't
  • 12 kids and 12 bridesmaids????...even without the kids thats quite the parade!

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• You just don't.  You can make a fuss about posing with each family for a wedding picture, but that's it.

And 12 bridesmaids?  Wow.
  • Easy: have them all walk in together & be seated on the 2nd row as honored guests

Giving them each their own special jobs:

Ceremony:
    -Read a scripture or poem
    -Guest book
    -Programs
    -bring in banner or bell ringer (seated with family for ceremony)
    -ushers

Reception
    -hand out birdseed, bubbles, etc.
  • I don't know if I could or would.  DH and I have 18 nieces and nephews between us, ranging in age from 3 months to 25; there wouldn't have been a good and cohesive way to have everyone participate.  We asked the godchildren to be in the wedding as flower girls and a groomsman but the others did not have specific jobs.  We took pictures of the family that included all of them, and the younger ones stole the show at the reception with their dancing.

If they would be up for (and able to do it) you could ask them to do a reading, sing or play a song, usher or serve in a position of honor during your ceremony (such as a gift presenter or candle lighter during a Catholic mass).  I'm not sure I'd make them responsible for something like the guest book, unless the niece or nephew you ask would view being asked a something important to do and would not get bored, wander off, etc.  Being a guest is a honor, too, so I would not worry about finding a job for everyone. 
    Anniversary

• Wow this makes me glad we only have 1 of each- our RB and FG. I wouuln't put 12 kids in the wedding sorry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just invite them? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • I had a friend who had 6 bridesmaids and 24 bell ringers. They ran down ringing bells right before she walked down. It was SO cute! I'm doing the same thing for my wedding, but with only four kids. ;)
  • I like the bell ringing idea, it would be a great way for them all to go in together ad do something fun.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I totally get this! Between my FI and I, we have 11 little nieces, nephews and cousins. We're going to have our nieces and nephews walk down right before I get there. The bell ringing idea is so cute!
    Since we have a song we want to play as I'm walking down the aisle, I think it would be really cute to have them wait at the entrance to the park with the bells and kind of "announce" when I get there so everybody knows to sit down and get quiet! We didn't really know how to do that before.

Anyway, I think including them is totally wonderful. Our n's and n's mean the whole world to us, so of course we want them to be a part of our wedding.
  • Thank you for all the input! We've decided (for now anyway) on the following:
    --12 year old neice is a junior bridesmaid (she was SO happy when I asked her)
    --oldest 2 nephews on each side will walk their grandmothers (our moms) down the aisle
    --the remaining 8 will blow bubbles or ring bells as we walk out the church (a suggestion I took right from this post)

I appreciate all the feedback, it's been killing us b/c we really wanted to incorporate them somehow.
    And I incorrectly listed the bridesmaids, I have 10, not 12, which isn't a huge difference but that's what happens when you're including 4 sisters and friends from all important times in life:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards