Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Advice on smoothing over vows

Hi Everyone!

My wedding is coming up next week and while I have had my vows written for a bit now I am starting to get nervous about them. I am wondering if anyone could make suggestions or let me know if they seem to be 'OK'?  I am not so concerned about length as much as I am about sharing content with my FI and our family.  

Bit of back story - we are doing a family elopement so about 9 people max for our ceremony and dinner. I don't really feel like I can ask family to take a look for me as there has been some drama surrounding our wedding over the last few months.

FI, when you first came into my life I was 15 years old and I knew you would always have a special piece of my heart. You were my first kiss and my first love. Even after going our separate ways I would think of you occasionally over the years, wonder how you were and hoping for your happiness. From the moment you re-entered my world began one of the happiest periods of my life because I knew you were my soul mate. We were meant to happen, and I think I knew this as a girl.

I love our love story but more importantly I love you, even when you drive me crazy. I love that we tease each other and laugh together, explore together, and can just be together and it feels like home. That you always show me your support and encouragement and that gives me extra strength. That you show me a sweetness and tenderness about you that I believe is reserved only for me (unsure how I feel about the last half of this sentence from “I believe…”). You are my best friend, confidant, playmate (another word? also more words to add??), and I am proud to take you as my husband today.

I promise to grow with you and to grow old with you. I will love you faithfully, without reservation and will stand by your side through good and bad times. I promise build with you a better life each day as we learn from each other to be patient and kind, to listen and respect, to give and support, and to always cherish each day we share together.

You are my forever love.

Any advice on smoothing this over ism much appreciated!

Re: Advice on smoothing over vows

• Hi Everyone!

My wedding is coming up next week and while I have had my vows written for a bit now I am starting to get nervous about them. I am wondering if anyone could make suggestions or let me know if they seem to be 'OK'?  I am not so concerned about length as much as I am about sharing content with my FI and our family.  

Bit of back story - we are doing a family elopement so about 9 people max for our ceremony and dinner. I don't really feel like I can ask family to take a look for me as there has been some drama surrounding our wedding over the last few months.

FI, when you first came into my life I was 15 years old and I knew you would always have a special piece of my heart. You were my first kiss and my first love. Even after going our separate ways I would think of you occasionally over the years, wonder how you were and hoping for your happiness. From the moment you re-entered my world began one of the happiest periods of my life because I knew you were my soul mate. We were meant to happen, and I think I knew this as a girl.

I love our love story but more importantly I love you, even when you drive me crazy. I love that we tease each other and laugh together, explore together, and can just be together and it feels like home. That you always show me your support and encouragement and that gives me extra strength. That you show me a sweetness and tenderness about you that I believe  know is reserved only for me . You are my best friend, confidant, soul playmate , and I am proud to take you as my husband today.

I promise to grow with you and to grow old with you. I will love you faithfully, without reservation and will stand by your side through good and bad times. I promise build with you a better life each day as we learn from each other to be patient and kind, to listen and respect, to give and support, and to always cherish each day we share together.

You are my forever love.

Any advice on smoothing this over ism much appreciated!
    So I have a few suggestions; I'd actually cut the first paragraph, it seems more like a summary of your early relationship days than it does vows. It also reads a little weird when you talk about going your separate ways.  I added a few other words, but I think it's good otherwise. 
  • I would omit everything up to "You are my best friend..." because it doesn't contain any promises and it doesn't focus on the here and now. Nobody needs to hear about what happened when you were 15 or your breakup.

Everything else starting with "You are my best friend..." is beautiful.
  • The last paragraph is fantastic. Just use that! The rest of it I don’t think is vows. 
  • Yep, I agree with PPs. Your officiant is (presumably) going to say things about your relationship and blah blah blah. Vows need to be just that - vows.

I do really like your vows themselves.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I agree with everyone else, let your vows be actual promises, keep the love note to a private letter to your SO and let your officiant talk about love as a concept or your relationship/love as they can see it.