Wedding Woes

Friday!

Yay weekend!! I plan to cook and cook and cook tomorrow and we have a fundraiser on Sunday for my best friend's cousin with cancer. 

I have a "mom" question. My sister's lake house has a...scent. The water has that gross egg smell and there's a little bit of mold in the trailer and since it's closed up most of the time, it's got just a stagnant smell. I'm borrowing an air mattress that she keeps there, any way to get the stagnant smell out, other that febreeze? 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Friday!

• No idea on the smell other than Febreezing the shit out of it. 

We have a wedding tomorrow, and I can't wait! 
  • Ugh, guys my Dad is back in the hospital. I think this is just our new reality now that he’s going to need oxygen at home and as needed. If anyone here is a smoker, stop now. My dad is 61 and has spent the last 2 weeks in the hospital. He looks like he’s 80. 

Were supposed to leave to go on vacation this weekend and I just don’t know. How do we leave when he keeps having to go to the ER and be admitted for observation. 

Sorry for all the rant & complaining. I usually can keep it together better than this, but I’m having a hard time not losing it in my cube today. 
  • @ShesSoCold, I'm assuming they use well water?  I think that smell comes from Sulphur.  I would leave the mattress open for a few days.  Hopefully it will air out.  Febreze definitely wouldn't hurt!

In classic New Orleans style.  There was a second-line for Aretha Franklin's passing last night.  RIP Queen of Soul.  A second-line is a walking parade, usually with music and even strolling musicians.  They are used for various occasions, including funerals.  We have a cultural tradition of celebrating a person's life with joy, along with our grief.  I can't use You Tube at work, so I can't give you all a direct link.  But here is the link to my local paper and you can click on the second-line video from there.  It's at the bottom of the main page.

https://www.nola.com/

Back to my personal life.  I did a thorough clean-out of our fridge last night.  It was way overdue.  But had become even more imminent because there were a few items we had meant to thrown out before we left on vacation and didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALWAYS glad it's Friday, lol.  But I'm extra glad this week.  I need a weekend to get back into my normal swing of things.  Today, I need to (finally) get a brake tag for the truck I bought a few weeks ago.  Then a trip to the bank for a deposit, at least it is for a good reason!  Serious grocery shopping needs for Sat., especially now that we have an emptier fridge, lol.  And we'll definitely take advantage of a restaurant month prix-fixe lunch special.  Have not determined our target for that yet.  Sunday I will be holed up at home.  It is supposed to be pouring down buckets all day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, guys my Dad is back in the hospital. I think this is just our new reality now that he’s going to need oxygen at home and as needed. If anyone here is a smoker, stop now. My dad is 61 and has spent the last 2 weeks in the hospital. He looks like he’s 80. 

Were supposed to leave to go on vacation this weekend and I just don’t know. How do we leave when he keeps having to go to the ER and be admitted for observation. 

Sorry for all the rant & complaining. I usually can keep it together better than this, but I’m having a hard time not losing it in my cube today. 

STUCK

Oh, no, Charlotte I'm so sorry. T&P to you and your family. 

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

I'm so sorry!  I hope he can go home soon.  Maybe as he learns to manage the new reality, hospital visits will become more infrequent.  But it must be so heartbreaking and worrying to know that his overall condition isn't going away ((hugs)).  You know we're always here on WW to vent out your worry and frustration to.  It's often easier to discuss than with people IRL, who are already there in the situation. 

TBH, unless your dad or mom object, I think you all should still go on your vacation.  It's only for the weekend and you all really need the rest, relaxation, and just getting a short break from it all.  Your dad, the closing, the move.  It's been an overwhelming plate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

@shessocold- there's not much you can do about the water smell.  For an other odor I use baking soda.  Leave dishes out. Sprinkle it on fabric/rugs and vacuum up.  It's so cheap, no real chemicals, and always works for me.

@charlotte- I'm sorry about your dad.

We have our first out of town tournament this weekend.  I'm trying to work out the logistics of 11:25 and 4:05 games with food and hotels and rain.  Nobody wants to sit in the rain and nobody wants to play two games in wet socks and underwear.  It looks like there's a laundromat close to the fields.  I've got pumpkin muffins, yogurt, trail mix, apple slices, grapes, bananas, and peanut butter sandwiches.

Sunday is an 11:25 game and if they win the bracket another at 2:05 so again food.  Oh and Max has a local to us game at 2.  So three of us will head back in the morning, but we haven't decided which 3 yet.

It's rainy and all I want to do is take a nap.

• 1/2 day today! 

H is out a 3:30 so I think we are going to lay by the pool. 

I have pole tomorrow and I need to give Zeus (my maine coon) a haircut. 

Sunday - garden yoga if the weather cooperates. 

I'm so sorry!  I hope he can go home soon.  Maybe as he learns to manage the new reality, hospital visits will become more infrequent.  But it must be so heartbreaking and worrying to know that his overall condition isn't going away ((hugs)).  You know we're always here on WW to vent out your worry and frustration to.  It's often easier to discuss than with people IRL, who are already there in the situation. 

TBH, unless your dad or mom object, I think you all should still go on your vacation.  It's only for the weekend and you all really need the rest, relaxation, and just getting a short break from it all.  Your dad, the closing, the move.  It's been an overwhelming plate.

Thank you! It’s hard because this is the new reality and I really do feel bad for him. I’m also frustrated because he’s smoked forcer, doesn’t exercise, and refused to see a doctor. So it all could have been managed better but he refused. My mom thinks last night finally scared him, but it sucks it’s taken this to get him to care for himself. 

Im also just exhausted. It’s been a really long few weeks and we did think we were “out of the woods” so to speak. And now we’re not. 

Thank tou you so much @ShesSoCold and @6fsn. I really appreciate it!
  • @charlotte989875, I'm so sorry. 

The rotten egg smell is sulphur.  We know our filter needs to be changed when our water starts getting that odor.  (we're on well and septic) If you can put it outside to air out, it should help. 

I need to run out on my lunch break to limp through the weekend with food. I work tomorrow.  I'll probably do a Walmart pick up order for Sunday because I won't feel like doing a grocery run. 

SIL and the babes are coming over tomorrow afternoon.  I need to clean house and pick up DefConn's room (where they'll stay) tonight.  DH and BIL are going to take some tools that SIL's stepdad is giving to BIL to Cincy and have a bro night.  I can't wait to hang with SIL (she's my BFF from HS).  We haven't seen each other in so long...probably the longest since they moved to Cincy a few years ago.  

I'm well overdue for a haircut, color, and wax.  I need to find some inspiration for my hair...color more than cut.  It's long right now and I love it, my ends just need to be shaped up. /ramble  ;)

• Last night H and I went to the Ben Folds/Cake concert in Philly.  Ben Folds was awesome and I'm glad he played first!  We went home during the 3rd Cake song!  I had checked their playlist during the intermission and the songs I knew were the last ones played.  I'd rather be in bed by 11 than just leaving a concert to hear 2 songs I know and a whole bunch I don't!  H was not a fan of Cake, I could tell!  So we stopped for a half price Sonic shake on the way home!  That made H happy!  LOL!

Not sure what is up with the weekend.  H is going to his friend's house tonight for a bit, which I'm glad about.  I feel bad I am always at yoga sticking him with the kid when he doesn't take any time for himself.  He mentions going bowling in the evening to a discount night, but he ends up never going.  He is very much a homebody, but I also know he needs to get out of the house and not be dad all the time.

Charlotte - I'm sorry about your dad being in the hospital again.  Hope he leaves shortly and starts to realize how serious his health is.  I would also still go on your weekend.  You do need it for some relaxation, you have had some stressful weeks.

SSC - Instead of frebreeze, you can use white vinegar the same way.  You will get the vinegar smell for a bit, but once that is gone usually all smells go with it.  If you feel like the mattress has caused smells to linger in the room, you can also put small bowls of white vinegar out.  It will absorb the smell from the air.  I would recommend to your sister that she get a dehumidifier installed at the house to help prevent the mildew smell.  Its possible her house could be in danger of a mold infestation too, if it gets to be that bad in between visits.  She could also leave out bowls of the white vinegar to help with the smell in between visits, but she should also try to find a longer term solution to the built up moisture in the house while its closed up.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Our tournament just got cancelled!! The weather must be really bad. Now I need to get our hotel refunded and figure out what to do with a free day. 
  • In addition to the well, what is used to heat the water? 

We had an old tiny water heater in our spare room and tossed it because the water had a sulpher scent.   So it could be your well and it could be the water heater.

We have to buy softener salt in 40 lb bags so our water doesn't smell.  

• I just canceled my VIP party.  I can't get anyone to help and doing things by myself right now is simply an option I can't continue to pursue.  I'll pay for the invites, but all of the other stuff was a "use for the other party" anyway.  But I'm sick of not having any help with big events and I just can't do it.

I'm so ready for this weekend and it's going to have to be another hibernating.
  • MNNEBride said:
    I've accepted the job offer and told my current boss.  A transition date has yet to be determined but will likely be the end of September.  

I have a nail appointment tonight and wish my salon offered wine.  I might need to make myself a drink when I get home.  It's been a roller coaster week.

Tomorrow we are going to a pre-season NFL game.  First one for DH and myself.  We haven't been to the new Vikings stadium and are looking forward to that.

Sunday is church and getting caught up around the house.

I nearly always bring a non-see-through water bottle of wine to nail appointments 
  • Most nail places around here let you BYOB. 
  • My husband has called me five times at work today.

Five. 

This makes me feel bad for parents because I used to call my mom at work constantly and H calling me today is driving me nuts. 
  • @ShesSoCold what about sprinkling baking soda over the mattress and then vacuuming it up? 

@charlotte989875 I’m sorry about your dad. Unfortunately I see that all the time at work. The coworkers that smoke shock me. It’s not like they’re unaware of the inevitable consequences. 

Yosemite is beautiful, despite a little smoke. No one is really here which is really strange, but also really nice. We’re having a chill day and then tomorrow we might consider a big hike. I’m already sad about leaving on Tuesday. 

• @ShesSoCold what about sprinkling baking powder over the mattress and then vacuuming it up? 

@charlotte989875 I’m sorry about your dad. Unfortunately I see that all the time at work. The coworkers that smoke shock me. It’s not like they’re unaware of the inevitable consequences. 

Yosemite is beautiful, despite a little smoke. No one is really here which is really strange, but also really nice. We’re having a chill day and then tomorrow we might consider a big hike. I’m already sad about leaving on Tuesday. 

• @ShesSoCold what about sprinkling baking soda over the mattress and then vacuuming it up?