Wedding Woes

Is this a LW issue or an 'Anne' issue?

Dear Prudence,

I first met “Anne” when we were both pregnant. We became fast friends and raised our daughters, now in their 30s, together. Anne’s daughter doesn’t plan on having children, which is difficult for Anne, who wanted to be a grandmother terribly. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in March—my first grandchild. When my grandson was born, Anne immediately stepped into the role of bonus grandmother, perhaps a little too well. My son-in-law doesn’t speak with his parents, so they aren’t in the picture. The day after my grandson was born, I arrived at the hospital to find Anne already there, holding him. She had baby-proofed her house by the next week. She has pictures of him in every room of her house and posts them on Facebook (with my daughter’s consent) almost once a week, referring to herself as “Nana Anne.” Anne is retired (I am not) and is able to watch my grandson three days of the week while my daughter begins work again. She even contributed a large sum to start his college fund, which I am unable to do financially at this time.

I do my best to be a helpful and loving grandmother, and I spend lots of time with my daughter and her family, but I feel like everything I do, Anne does better and more often. I can’t help but feel like she has “stolen” my grandson. The rational part of me knows that it’s a win-win for my daughter to get the free child care, for Anne to have a grandchild, and my grandson to have another loving presence in his life. But the irrational part is jealous, angry that Anne’s financial situation allowed her to retire before me, and resentful. I’m struggling to find ways to talk to Anne and my daughter about how I feel, because I don’t want to come across as possessive and demanding. How can I preserve my friendship with Anne, and enjoy my role as a grandmother, with this dynamic?

—Second-Tier Grandma

Re: Is this a LW issue or an 'Anne' issue?

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2018
    Here's my thought about this...What if Anne was her daughter's MIL?  I think that would be a good way to frame the situation, especially since her daughter's IL's are not involved.  

I think the only misstep here is that Anne had met LW's grandchild before LW did.  But if the daughter/SIL were OK with Anne coming to the hospital ASAP and she 'beat' LW there...IDK?  I think this is a really complicated since it does sound like Anne has been folded into LW's family and treated as such by LW and her daughter.  Plus, Anne is providing a lot of support to LW's daughter.  

I can understand LW's feelings, but I think it's a delicate line between what's a LW 'issue' or perception and if Anne is really overstepping.  I think Anne's financial position and willingness to use her free time to assist LW's daughter should *not* be held against her.

I think LW can ask her daughter for one on one time without bringing her concerns about Anne's relationship with the baby (and her daughter) up.  The daughter is not going to forget that LW is her mom and the baby's 'real' grandma. Also, the dynamic might change once LW can retire and has more time. 
  • I'm glad that the LW understand this is HER issue.  Nobody is doing anything wrong.  Just the opposite.  Her daughter and grandson are substantially benefiting from Anne's generosity, in both time and money.  That little boy will grow up and love the LW, with all his heart.  Even if he spends a lot of time with Anne also.

With that said, I do think she should have a private conversation with just her daughter.  Let her know some of how she is feeling and maybe work out times when LW can spend bonding time with just them and/or just her grandson.  The focus of that conversation should making the LW feel more included.  It should not be about limiting Anne's involvement.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wonder how Annie's daughter feels about all the time Annie spends with LW's daughter and grandchild. LW might not be the only one feeling left out. It just seems odd that there would be pictures of a friend's grandchild in every room of the house, but that just might be my take on it.

• I can see myself feeling like the LW, but I agree that a delicate approach would be best.

I'm not sure if I would say anything to Anne, but I would ask my daughter for more private time with my grandchild.
  • Guys, Nana Anne is going to be my MIL. My mom and MIL are close friends now, and since my H and I are not having kids, she's already told us that she's "sharing grandma duties" with my mom when my brother has kids. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    This is so hard.  I get where LW is coming from and it’s certainly her right to voice her feelings, but agree that she should tread lightly.

I kind of see myself as LW’s daughter.  I have three littles and the smoke is starting to clear, but when they were babies I always wanted to welcome any help or company I was offered.  My parents live nearby, are both retired, and are financially very comfortable (more so than we were kids actually, thanks to city pensions and no longer having a mortgage or four Catholic school tuitions).  They’ve immersed themselves in travel, plenty of Broadway shows, great dinners and down time, and I couldn’t be happier for them.  My mom is one of nine and some of her sisters are also nearby and retired.  I’m very close to two aunts especially that used to text constantly “how’s is going?” “Can I pop in and help out?” “Let me just come for one hour so you can have the company of another adult !” etc.  It felt like a dream until my mom told them they were no longer welcome and gave me a guilt-filled “they’re not the grandmothers, I am. Who do they think they are? Do you love them more?!” Kind of out of left field.  She gave me a harder time than them, to the point where now if I’m at the playground with the kids and an aunt drives by and jumps out to say hi I get nervous that it’s going to get back to my mom.  My IL’s aren’t really around (no bad blood my H’s family just isn’t close, we see them 4-5 times a year) but my sister’s ILs are extremely involved especially her MIL and it drives my mother crazy.  My sister will excitedly text “MIL popped in with three nights of dinner and said she wanted some fun time with the girls so they’re at the park and I’m reorganizating my closet in peace!” and an hour later my mom will text something like “who does MIL think she is?” all pissed off.  
    So I acknowledge LW’s possessiveness but also would urge her to reflect on what her adult daughter wants and is comfortable with.  More one on one time without Anne present may help? 
  • This is so hard.  I get where LW is coming from and it’s certainly her right to voice her feelings, but agree that she should tread lightly.

I kind of see myself as LW’s daughter.  I have three littles and the smoke is starting to clear, but when they were babies I always wanted to welcome any help or company I was offered.  My parents live nearby, are both retired, and are financially very comfortable (more so than we were kids actually, thanks to city pensions and no longer having a mortgage or four Catholic school tuitions).  They’ve immersed themselves in travel, plenty of Broadway shows, great dinners and down time, and I couldn’t be happier for them.  My mom is one of nine and some of her sisters are also nearby and retired.  I’m very close to two aunts especially that used to text constantly “how’s is going?” “Can I pop in and help out?” “Let me just come for one hour so you can have the company of another adult !” etc.  It felt like a dream until my mom told them they were no longer welcome and gave me a guilt-filled “they’re not the grandmothers, I am. Who do they think they are? Do you love them more?!” Kind of out of left field.  She gave me a harder time than them, to the point where now if I’m at the playground with the kids and an aunt drives by and jumps out to say hi I get nervous that it’s going to get back to my mom.  My IL’s aren’t really around (no bad blood my H’s family just isn’t close, we see them 4-5 times a year) but my sister’s ILs are extremely involved especially her MIL and it drives my mother crazy.  My sister will excitedly text “MIL popped in with three nights of dinner and said she wanted some fun time with the girls so they’re at the park and I’m reorganizating my closet in peace!” and an hour later my mom will text something like “who does MIL think she is?” all pissed off.  
    So I acknowledge LW’s possessiveness but also would urge her to reflect on what her daughter wants and what makes the daughter, grandchild and Anne happy too. 
  • This is so hard.  I get where LW is coming from and it’s certainly her right to voice her feelings, but agree that she should tread lightly.

So I acknowledge LW’s possessiveness but also would urge her to reflect on what her daughter wants and what makes the daughter, grandchild and Anne happy too.